Impermanence and Dharma

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Re: Impermanence and Dharma

Postby Dechen Norbu » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:35 pm

muni wrote:
Guru Rinpoche said: we need an unfabricated Dharma. Impermanent or permanent are fabricated concepts.

This means the fruit of the practice, seeing reality as it is. By no means this denies that all compounded things are impermanent. The unfabricated Dharma is Sadharma, the fruit of the practice of Buddhadharma. There's no such thing as an unfabricated Buddhadharma. The difference between them is the same as the difference between the moon (Sadharma) and the finger pointing to it (Buddhadharma).

I found this:

"The idea that perceiving impermanence is the key to happiness also doesn't make much sense. It's not something that can be understood by intellect alone".
http://buddhism.about.com/od/basicbuddh ... anence.htm

Perhaps posting the whole paragraph makes it more clear:
The realization of wisdom is that this separation is an illusion, because permanence is an illusion. Even the "I" we think is so permanent is an illusion. If you are new to Buddhism, at first this may not make much sense. The idea that perceiving impermanence is the key to happiness also doesn't make much sense. It's not something that can be understood by intellect alone.

This means you must gain insight about it, not just having intellectual knowledge that all compounded things are impermanent. Knowing intellectually that all things are impermanent doesn't lead you to think, feel and act as if they were. While you know intellectually that things are impermanent, you live as if they weren't, so suffer when change happens, seek happiness where there's no happiness and, above all reify the "dream like reality", including your own self, thus planting the seeds of samsaric experience at its deepest level (avidya).

So this idea may not make much sense at first, but later on makes a lot of sense, even intellectually. However, when contemplating this thought you will gain insight about it. It's remaining with this insight that helps you getting closer to the fruit of the practice of Buddhadharma.
Dechen Norbu

Postby muni » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:47 pm

Guru Rinpoche: "There is no fully understanding through fabricated dharmas, we need a dharma "beyond" fabrications.

There is no "enlightenment" through indicated, explained, cultivated dharmas, we need a dharma beyond indication, explanation, cultivation".

Longchenpa: " you should learn the unapprehended view, free from partiality. In this way "changeless" Dharmata.

this regarding the question.
muni

Postby Dechen Norbu » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:01 pm

Yes, as I said. You are talking about paramartha satya. Buddhadharma is in the loka samvriti satya category, conventional reality. The fruit of its practice, Sadharma, is paramartha satya, beyond concepts.
I'm not sure if you feel that what you say goes against what I said above. It doesn't. It confirms it.
Dechen Norbu

Postby muni » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:10 pm

Nothing against.

For me, not a debater, debate sometimes is appaering like adding better air in air or writing more clarifying disappearing words on water. (this generally, not about you, please.)

Different background practices aren't easy to debate on internet. I have no problem when people offer posts to sharpen insight.

I left some drops useful or not useful, no problem for me.
muni

Previous

Return to Open Dharma