My Holy Bible

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Re: My Holy Bible

Postby steveb1 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:56 am

I have complained in a similar manner in the Pure Land board :)

I too have wished for a Jodo Shinshu/Shin "Bible" in the form of a pocket New Testament. It would ideally include the Tannisho, as well as foundational texts by Shinran and Rennyo, and of course citations from basic Pure Land scriptures. However, I am told that no such thing exists ... Just letting the OP know "you're not alone" ... :)
steveb1

Postby muni » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:03 am

Milarepa kept a hand on his ear. Teaching was everywhere. Wonderful bible, always available! :tongue:

http://www.kalachakra.org/articles/song2.shtml
muni

Postby mint » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:48 pm

Nangwa wrote:Zurchungpa's Testament
Commentary by Dilgo Khyentse

Is this work available in the collected works of Dilgo Khyentse?
mint

Postby Paul » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:49 pm

mint wrote:
Nangwa wrote:Zurchungpa's Testament
Commentary by Dilgo Khyentse

Is this work available in the collected works of Dilgo Khyentse?

Yes - book 3.

"Do not block your six senses; delight in them with joy and ease.
All that you take pleasure in will strengthen the awakened state.
With such a confidence, empowered by the regal state of natural mind,
The training now is simply this: lets your six senses be at ease and free." - Princess Parani
Paul

Postby mindyourmind » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:22 pm

Maybe Mint, what you are also trying to find and experience anew is simply the religious text that you grew up with, in this case the Bible. We are sometimes not sensitive enough to the influences that the religion of our childhood has on us. It leaves scars maybe, and definitely also memories, feelings and associations.

I still have a similar soft spot for the Bible, even though rationally I know it is not really a book generally worthy of that veneration, even though I also see it through the eyes of people who did not grow up with it when they read portions of it for the first time.

If you grew up a Buddhist, or a Muslim, and then converted to say Christianity you may have been searching to fill the hole left by one of the many great suggestions you found in this thread, or the Quran.

Continue with your search, but maybe also be sensitive to the irreplaceable impact that our "first" religion has on us.
As bad as bad becomes its not a part of you

Talk Talk
mindyourmind

Postby mint » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:11 pm

Will wrote:This one tries to follow the Buddha's lifetime and has both basic Buddhism & the Mahayana: http://www.bdkamerica.org/default.aspx?MPID=33

It arrived in the mail yesterday, and it truly is like the best Buddhist substitute for the Bible. It features sections from many major collections, including the Tipitaka, Heart, Diamond, the Larger Sutra of Pureland, and even the complete Dhammapada. I am pleased!
mint

Postby Josef » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:24 pm

mint wrote:
Will wrote:This one tries to follow the Buddha's lifetime and has both basic Buddhism & the Mahayana: http://www.bdkamerica.org/default.aspx?MPID=33

It arrived in the mail yesterday, and it truly is like the best Buddhist substitute for the Bible. It features sections from many major collections, including the Tipitaka, Heart, Diamond, the Larger Sutra of Pureland, and even the complete Dhammapada. I am pleased!

Glad to hear you found something.
I really do think you would get a lot out of the Sakya Pandita book I recommended too.
When you made this thread it made me pull my copy off the shelf and read a few pages. It really has that sort of "day-to-day" wisdom quality to it that a lot of Buddhist books lack.
Josef

Postby Jikan » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:32 pm

Lotus Sutra.

Surangama Sutra.

Pure Land sutras.

Just in terms of sutra, there are many good choices for texts you can draw close to your bosom and attempt to deeply penetrate.
Jikan
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Open Dharma