Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 772 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 39  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:07 pm
Posts: 231
coldmountain wrote:

So if I interpret my experience to mean that I attained a union with a permanent unchanging, universal Soul, Buddhism has nothing to say about that? We aren't free to interpret our experiences any way we choose. I might dream that I went to the moon, but am I justified to assert that I was actually there?


The only way to really do that is Nirvana, if it's a permanent union, if you're going to think of some samboghakaya as being an the representation of an unchanging "Universal Soul," hence union with the Dharmakaya--which is what Mahayana is about really...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:50 pm
Posts: 633
coldmountain wrote:

1) You have direct experience with it (if you do, I'd like to know how you're able to verify that you're not misinterpreting your experience?)
2) You know others who do.
3) You have encountered phenomena which demand rebirth and karma as an explanation (i.e. rebirth, or whatever phenomena needs explaining in terms of such, is a positive reality that demands accounting for, and not just a tacked-on, metaphysical appendix to the empirical world).


Hello,

firstly I would like to say that for me, I don´t see karma and rebirth as things to believe in. They are for me simple explanations (call them concepts if you don´t agree) of how things work that can be verified by human experience. Nothing supernatural about it! They have always been better solutions than eternal heaven/hell and materialism/annihilation. In fact, just the most logical things in this vast universe.

1): I had an intense "spiritual" experience a few years ago that lasted for several months. At one time, I could see my "soul", my inner body living inside my physical body as a being with even a specific colour. Some while later, I had a vision where I saw an entity (a psycho-physical something) with the same colour arriving from afar and taking place in my mother´s womb. I have no life-memories of past lives, but this was enough for me. It was so real. I could literaly "realise" how a being is reborn into another world. I cannot verify this experience with anyone, but it was so real that it convinced me of the rebirth of people. You may deem me psychotic but I had no hallucinations in this time. My reality-testing was intact.

2): I don´t know anyone else, but even a Christian acquaintance of mine talked about past lives.

3): See my first answer. As far as karma goes, many times I had done something voluntarily and I have been the receiver of similar happenings. Of course, karma is more complex than this but it´s easy to verify the logic of it.

As a conclusion, I cannot find any other logical explanations than karma and rebirth as this universe is so vast and other explanations seem so limited. I´m not well versed in religion so there may be more to monotheistic heaven/hell notions than I know of.

As a bonus, I don´t feel any more religious with karma and rebirth because these are so self-explanatory and logical that I don´t need any superstitious drivel to understand them.

_________________
http://www.twitter.com/aigurung


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:07 pm
Posts: 231
odysseus wrote:
coldmountain wrote:

1) You have direct experience with it (if you do, I'd like to know how you're able to verify that you're not misinterpreting your experience?)
2) You know others who do.
3) You have encountered phenomena which demand rebirth and karma as an explanation (i.e. rebirth, or whatever phenomena needs explaining in terms of such, is a positive reality that demands accounting for, and not just a tacked-on, metaphysical appendix to the empirical world).


Hello,

firstly I would like to say that for me, I don´t see karma and rebirth as things to believe in. They are for me simple explanations (call them concepts if you don´t agree) of how things work that can be verified by human experience. Nothing supernatural about it! They have always been better solutions than eternal heaven/hell and materialism/annihilation. In fact, just the most logical things in this vast universe.

1): I had an intense "spiritual" experience a few years ago that lasted for several months. At one time, I could see my "soul", my inner body living inside my physical body as a being with even a specific colour. Some while later, I had a vision where I saw an entity (a psycho-physical something) with the same colour arriving from afar and taking place in my mother´s womb. I have no life-memories of past lives, but this was enough for me. It was so real. I could literaly "realise" how a being is reborn into another world. I cannot verify this experience with anyone, but it was so real that it convinced me of the rebirth of people. You may deem me psychotic but I had no hallucinations in this time. My reality-testing was intact.

2): I don´t know anyone else, but even a Christian acquaintance of mine talked about past lives.

3): See my first answer. As far as karma goes, many times I had done something voluntarily and I have been the receiver of similar happenings. Of course, karma is more complex than this but it´s easy to verify the logic of it.

As a conclusion, I cannot find any other logical explanations than karma and rebirth as this universe is so vast and other explanations seem so limited. I´m not well versed in religion so there may be more to monotheistic heaven/hell notions than I know of.

As a bonus, I don´t feel any more religious with karma and rebirth because these are so self-explanatory and logical that I don´t need any superstitious drivel to understand them.



I have the same exact experience.
Thank you for sharing.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:50 pm
Posts: 633
A note; karma and rebirth alone are not enough to explain what happens after death. There is something lacking, which it seems like Buddhists are ignoring and not many teachers talk about it. Some people may feel like karma and rebirth are "cold" explanations and it´s valid. But there is a third phenomenon that happens after death which I´m investigating and I personally know it´s something GOOD without being able to explain it now. What I´m saying is that people are worried about the relationships to loved ones after their or own death. Sure, Buddhism is not about eternal Heaven though heavens exist, but it could seem too scientific to explain the afterlife only by karma and rebirth.

So, I´m seeking "the third answer" to this subject. At least I understand there´s something good that can happen regarding this. If anyone has hints, please write them.

:pig:

_________________
http://www.twitter.com/aigurung


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:07 pm
Posts: 231
odysseus wrote:
A note; karma and rebirth alone are not enough to explain what happens after death. There is something lacking, which it seems like Buddhists are ignoring and not many teachers talk about it. Some people may feel like karma and rebirth are "cold" explanations and it´s valid. But there is a third phenomenon that happens after death which I´m investigating and I personally know it´s something GOOD without being able to explain it now. What I´m saying is that people are worried about the relationships to loved ones after their or own death. Sure, Buddhism is not about eternal Heaven though heavens exist, but it could seem too scientific to explain the afterlife only by karma and rebirth.

So, I´m seeking "the third answer" to this subject. At least I understand there´s something good that can happen regarding this. If anyone has hints, please write them.

:pig:


I'm not sure I understand, but I want to.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:09 pm
Posts: 185
Karma is real
Rebirth is also real.
On the path some follow however there is a third 'option' which is to be released from that cycle and enter the Pure Land .

_________________
More about Mindfulness here
http://bemindful.co.uk/

" A Zen master's life is one continuous mistake."
(Dogen).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 8:28 am
Posts: 2327
Location: the Netherlands and India
deepbluehum wrote:
This is the kind of situation where I have to do the following:

I bow to the glorious gurus, mahasiddhas, devas and dakinis,
Who bestow every benefit and bliss without exception,
Sit on your lion throne in my heart and
Bless me to account the profound teaching on karma, and rebirth.



Praise to the glorious Nagarjuna, who dispels all doubts.
May all beings without exception cross the great flood of delusion and doubt,
And arrive at the nature of peace on the shore of nondeception.


Deep Blue Hum,
This is a beautiful passage. But can you please cite the source, for all our benefit? :namaste:

_________________
In order to ensure my mind never comes under the power of the self-cherishing attitude,
I must obtain control over my own mind.
Therefore, amongst all empowerments, the empowerment that gives me control over my mind is the best,
and I have received the most profound empowerment with this teaching.
-Atisha Dipamkara
brtsal ba'i bkhra drin


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:51 pm
Posts: 531
Location: On Hiatus from Dharmawheel.
coldmountain wrote:
Hi everyone,

I've entitled this thread what it is, fully aware that the vast majority of responses will constitute a resounding 'Yes'. As most everyone here knows (or should know), the issue of rebirth is something that Westerners and those influenced by Western culture have special difficulty accepting. The reason for this is threefold: first, the idea has no foothold in our culture. It hasn't held a place in our thinking, at least for a couple thousand years. The second reason is because of the rise of scientific materialism. Philosophically, it is a priori ruled out by many. I regard these first two reasons as rather inessential. I'm not committed to materialism or to Western metaphysics in general.

But the last reason is a bit more problematic for me. It is actually another trinity of factors:

1) I have no direct experience with it.
2) I have not known anyone personally who does.
3) I have not encountered any phenomena in life that requires rebirth or karma as an explanation (i.e. rebirth and karma seem to be superfluous in giving an account of things). I cannot deny the possibility of rebirth, but it doesn't seem needed. From my perspective, the behavior of phenomena go on just the same whether I think in terms of karma or rebirth or not. This is a negative evidence against rebirth and karma, because one would expect such phenomena, if they were real, to demand our attention. Therefore, rebirth and karma would have to present themselves as evidenced in a strong, unambiguous way in order to justify my acceptance.

Even so, I recognize that there are some intuitive reasons for accepting a karmic perspective on things, based on philosophy of mind. But from my vantage point, at the same time some of it seems utterly fantastic.

Perhaps I've been a bit long winded in setting up my question, but I like people to get an understanding of where I'm coming from. I'm going to ask, then, Is rebirth (and karma, of course) real? If you answer 'yes', then the second question would naturally be: 'How do you know?'

I THINK the answers should fall somewhere into the three points I articulated. In other words,

1) You have direct experience with it (if you do, I'd like to know how you're able to verify that you're not misinterpreting your experience?)
2) You know others who do.
3) You have encountered phenomena which demand rebirth and karma as an explanation (i.e. rebirth, or whatever phenomena needs explaining in terms of such, is a positive reality that demands accounting for, and not just a tacked-on, metaphysical appendix to the empirical world).

These of course, are very demanding questions. But the claims of Buddhism on karma and rebirth seem at least as demanding, so I think it only fair to ask.

Thanks in advance.

Peace!

1) Yes, I have direct experience with them. The kinds of things I have experienced fall within a standard line of pattern for such experiences, that other people have experienced as well, as well as falling in line with historic and otherwise accounts of other people's such experiences, in Buddhism and otherwise. I have also discussed my experiences in spiritual counseling with Monks and and other qualified Dharma Teachers, as well as other experienced Laypeople, who also confirmed that they too had experienced these kinds of things, and that for some people this is a normal, if not necessarily every day, part of practice.

2)Yes, I know many other people personally who have had these experiences as well. In a variety of age groups, geographic locations, and years of practice.

3)Yes, I've seen this to be apparent in certain circumstances.

I posted on one such experience here:

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=9012&p=128819#p128819

I'd be happy to talk about this with anyone further.
And I'll do my best to answer any questions they might have.

In Gasshō,

Sara H

_________________
"Life is full of suffering. AND Life is full of the Eternal
IT IS OUR CHOICE
We can stand in our shadow, and wallow in the darkness,
OR
We can turn around.
It is OUR choice." -Rev. Basil

" ...out of fear, even the good harm one another. " -Rev. Dazui MacPhillamy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:06 am
Posts: 5
hi
what perplexes me is the denial of the immanent soul,the atman of the upanishads,and the karma theory's continued acceptance.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:58 am
Posts: 993
vysam wrote:
hi
what perplexes me is the denial of the immanent soul,the atman of the upanishads,and the karma theory's continued acceptance.


You seem to be saying... if there is no soul, then what does karma act on? - but actually karma is precisely what gives shape and form to this "soul" - agency and structure are seen to be non-dual here.

_________________
we cannot get rid of God because we still believe in grammar - Nietzsche


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:14 pm
Posts: 854
vysam wrote:
hi
what perplexes me is the denial of the immanent soul,the atman of the upanishads,and the karma theory's continued acceptance.


That's one of the ways in which general Sutric Buddhism still manifests a mind-body dualism.

In the tantras, there is a development of the idea that karma is linked to winds that go through your body. I recommend this post by Malcolm earlier in the thread.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:28 pm
Posts: 698
Another perspective about the "karma and rebirth are real?" problem: imagine that they are not real. Would you be kind and compassive? Would you make whatever you want, knowing that nothing would happen and that after this life everything would disapear? How would you face life?

I am not saying that these kind of reflexion is a way to prove or not the existence of karma and rebirth, but its a different way to think about things.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:33 pm 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:53 am
Posts: 1468
Not believing in such things doesn't make someone a bad person just as believing in these things does not make one a good person. This is probably not what you meant but it's a slippery slope and I thought I'd clarify this. :smile:

Gassho,
Seishin

_________________
http://tendaiuk.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:28 pm
Posts: 698
I know :) and thank you for remembering such "traps" :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:55 am 
Online
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Posts: 10290
Location: Greece
So you think that rebirth is not real, huh?
Attachment:
mein katz.jpg
mein katz.jpg [ 44.72 KiB | Viewed 818 times ]

_________________
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:10 pm
Posts: 805
gregkavarnos wrote:
So you think that rebirth is not real, huh?
Attachment:
mein katz.jpg


It should be Mein Kater. :rolling:

_________________
If you believe certain words, you believe their hidden arguments. When you believe something is right or wrong, true of false, you believe the assumptions in the words which express the arguments. Such assumptions are often full of holes, but remain most precious to the convinced.

- The Open-Ended Proof from The Panoplia Prophetica


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:27 pm
Posts: 68
odysseus wrote:
coldmountain wrote:

1) You have direct experience with it (if you do, I'd like to know how you're able to verify that you're not misinterpreting your experience?)
2) You know others who do.
3) You have encountered phenomena which demand rebirth and karma as an explanation (i.e. rebirth, or whatever phenomena needs explaining in terms of such, is a positive reality that demands accounting for, and not just a tacked-on, metaphysical appendix to the empirical world).


Hello,

firstly I would like to say that for me, I don´t see karma and rebirth as things to believe in. They are for me simple explanations (call them concepts if you don´t agree) of how things work that can be verified by human experience. Nothing supernatural about it! They have always been better solutions than eternal heaven/hell and materialism/annihilation. In fact, just the most logical things in this vast universe.

1): I had an intense "spiritual" experience a few years ago that lasted for several months. At one time, I could see my "soul", my inner body living inside my physical body as a being with even a specific colour. Some while later, I had a vision where I saw an entity (a psycho-physical something) with the same colour arriving from afar and taking place in my mother´s womb. I have no life-memories of past lives, but this was enough for me. It was so real. I could literaly "realise" how a being is reborn into another world. I cannot verify this experience with anyone, but it was so real that it convinced me of the rebirth of people. You may deem me psychotic but I had no hallucinations in this time. My reality-testing was intact.

2): I don´t know anyone else, but even a Christian acquaintance of mine talked about past lives.

3): See my first answer. As far as karma goes, many times I had done something voluntarily and I have been the receiver of similar happenings. Of course, karma is more complex than this but it´s easy to verify the logic of it.

As a conclusion, I cannot find any other logical explanations than karma and rebirth as this universe is so vast and other explanations seem so limited. I´m not well versed in religion so there may be more to monotheistic heaven/hell notions than I know of.

As a bonus, I don´t feel any more religious with karma and rebirth because these are so self-explanatory and logical that I don´t need any superstitious drivel to understand them.


Just I want to say that is exactly what I wanted to say before reading you, except the part you experienced with your visions. Very interesting sharing about your visions.
This has been exactly the same experience to me. When I heard this, it has been just the simplest and the most logical explanation someone gave to me about Justice/Hell/Heaven/Bad/Good/Harmony/And so On. Nothing special about this, just recognizing reality.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:57 am
Posts: 4
I’m very late to this party and haven’t had time to go through all 600 plus previous posts so forgive me if I’m repeating too much of what’s already been said.

Regarding the matter of karma and rebirth, it seems to me that it’s more than just a matter of skepticism. The Buddhists texts themselves, especially in the Mahayana strongly suggest that rebirth is a provisional and not ultimate element of the dharma, i.e., an instance of upaya; for as some have already mentioned without some kind of “ownership” of our acts why would we be induced to do good?

The problem of course is that in the ultimate view of interdependence we don’t own our acts anymore than we own our selves. Our acts certainly have consequences, good and bad; karma works itself it out and beings are reproduced. We certainly help form these new beings by our actions, but we are identified with such beings only to the extent we are identified interdependently with all beings everywhere.

The simply analogy is with children. Do we love and care for only our own children, or for the neighbor’s children as well? How about the children in the next city or country?

Consider as well how little control we have in the end over what our children do. They’re seldom the little replicants we’d like them to be. This holds even more truly of rebirth. Even it were the case that I shared a tenuous continuum of consciousness, some dispositions or mental formations, however theorized - what has that to do with my present phenomenal self, my present pains and projects? Certainly I may have concerns for that newly arisen being but no more and no less than for a myriad other arisen beings in other so-called continuums.

The difficulty of course is obvious. Just as it’s far easier, in terms of instinct, to care for our own genetic offspring, it’s far easier to care for the descendents of our own consciousness, however tenuous the connection may be, than for all sentient beings everywhere. So I understand why so many Buddhists adhere to the literalist view of karma and rebirth. But again I see this as provisional. In the end we must be able to see beyond our own rebirths, just as we have learned to see beyond our own children.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 pm
Posts: 5986
Location: Taiwan
Loka wrote:
The Buddhists texts themselves, especially in the Mahayana strongly suggest that rebirth is a provisional and not ultimate element of the dharma, i.e., an instance of upaya; for as some have already mentioned without some kind of “ownership” of our acts why would we be induced to do good?


Your reading is fallacious.

Rebirth is conventionally real, though ultimately it dissolves under analysis like any other perceived phenomenon.

Conventionally rebirth is as real as retirement. Plenty of children recollect past life memories. Many adults recollect their past lives as well. If your meditation is solid enough you'll likely recall something sooner or later, though accurately identifying such things is perhaps problematic for many.

Rebirth is not merely nominally real like a third hand or second head for which terms exist but we do not ever see. We do in fact see evidence and cases of rebirth all over the world. It is thus conventionally real, and not a mere nominal designation for something that is never witnessed or observed.

Quote:
Even it were the case that I shared a tenuous continuum of consciousness, some dispositions or mental formations, however theorized - what has that to do with my present phenomenal self, my present pains and projects?


This kind of selfish thinking is the cause of great suffering in the world. People just care about their own lives up until death and then they think they won't be around anymore so no sense caring much about the environment and so on. You only live once, they say, so to hell with postmortem consequences.


Quote:
In the end we must be able to see beyond our own rebirths, just as we have learned to see beyond our own children.


If you really understood the implications of saṃsāra, you might think otherwise.

_________________
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog) Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog) Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog) Dharma Depository (Site)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:57 am
Posts: 4
Huseng wrote:
Conventionally rebirth is as real as retirement. Plenty of children recollect past life memories. Many adults recollect their past lives as well. If your meditation is solid enough you'll likely recall something sooner or later, though accurately identifying such things is perhaps problematic for many.

Rebirth is not merely nominally real like a third hand or second head for which terms exist but we do not ever see. We do in fact see evidence and cases of rebirth all over the world. It is thus conventionally real, and not a mere nominal designation for something that is never witnessed or observed.


Well, here we have a difference in what we accept as evidence. To my knowledge, there is no such compelling evidence. Of course, I would I certainly be willing to change my position were I to discover such evidence. But on that score, my reading is "fallacious" only relatively, from your point of view.


Huseng wrote:
If you really understood the implications of saṃsāra, you might think otherwise.


But there is no difference between samsara and nirvana, absolutely none. But teach me, what are these implications you say I don't understand?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 772 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 39  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Saoshun and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group