Random questions

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Re: Random questions

Postby Kyosan » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:54 pm

Dechen Norbu wrote:
padma norbu wrote:2)If... perhaps. I'm more worried about the "Armageddon" we can cause ourselves, us humans. We really don't need gods to do that, unfortunately... :thinking:

I feel the same way. I'm not worried about the Armageddon in Christianity. Even many Christians don't believe in it or worry about it, so why should I. I'm more concerned about an Armageddon of the human making.

The way I see it, if I worry about what Christianity says, I should also worry about what all the other religions of the world say since there is no reason to treat Christianity special. I have chosen Buddhism and that is what I need to focus on. It's hard enough just to be a good Buddhist, even without having these distractions.
:namaste:
Kyosan

Postby padma norbu » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:04 pm

edearl wrote:
Virgo wrote:Hi padma, I can appreciate if you don't except the answers but I don't understand why you call them non-answers.

For example, I said we breath because there is air and we need air. Why on earth else would we breath?

I don't see the non answer aspect that you see.

Kevin

The reason, "we breath because there is air and we need air," is an observation, but IMO not an answer. IDK if there is an answer. Another observation is that our body uses food and air the same as a heat engine, such as an automobile engine. uses petrol and air. We can then ask, why does burning petrol and air make heat, and why does the heat cause motion. We can then ask other questions, and make further observations, but at some point we cannot observe because whatever occurs is submicroscopic--the domain of quantum mechanics and string theory that may never be fully explained.

^ yeah, pretty much what he said. But, remember, "why do we breathe?" wasn't an actual question, just a comparison I made: "To me, saying we sleep because of the moon is like saying we breathe because of the air. Not an answer." Asking why we breathe would involve a series of questions: Why do we need to breathe? What's in the air that we need and why do we need it? Why do other lifeforms breathe and why? Etc.

If you think "we sleep because of the moon" is an actual perfectly valid answer, then I don't really know what else to say. When the astronauts landed on the moon, how the heck did they stay awake? Standing on the space rock of sleep, I'm surprised Neil Armstrong was able to get his famous line out before falling into a coma. In fact, despite a general lack of sleep disturbances caused by the earth's gravity (apnea, etc.), astronauts still only get a couple hours of sleep at a time even with sleeping pills. Apparently, being closer to the moon, the very source of sleep according to your theory, this close proximity must have an overdose opposite effect that causes sleep disorders.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
padma norbu

Postby Virgo » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:13 pm

edearl wrote:
The reason, "we breath because there is air and we need air," is an observation, but IMO not an answer.

Actually, I think it is the cause of the process, so it is answer to me. If other people need more facts, that is OK.

Kevin
Virgo

Postby edearl » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:15 pm

padma norbu,

1. The moon theory is not mine.
2. Why anything is often impossible to answer, and maybe not answerable at all.
HHDL: "My confidence in venturing into science lies in my basic belief that as in science so in Buddhism, understanding the nature of reality is pursued by means of critical investigation: if scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims."
edearl

Postby Virgo » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:16 pm

padma norbu wrote:If you think "we sleep because of the moon" is an actual perfectly valid answer, then I don't really know what else to say. When the astronauts landed on the moon, how the heck did they stay awake? Standing on the space rock of sleep, I'm surprised Neil Armstrong was able to get his famous line out before falling into a coma. In fact, despite a general lack of sleep disturbances caused by the earth's gravity (apnea, etc.), astronauts still only get a couple hours of sleep at a time even with sleeping pills. Apparently, being closer to the moon, the very source of sleep according to your theory, this close proximity must have an overdose opposite effect that causes sleep disorders.

Well our body has solar and lunar energies, and the moon effects them, causing the need for sleep, or influencing our bodies. Proximity doesn't really matter, but over time, I think it will have an effect, for example, on emotions and sleep patterns, etc.

Humans were born on earth and are meant to live on earth. It is our ideal environment. We were not meant to live on the moon. Doing so (supposing we could some day) would mess up our systems and throw them out of whack.

Kevin
Virgo

Postby padma norbu » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:41 pm

edearl wrote:padma norbu,

1. The moon theory is not mine.

I know that. THat is why I pointed to your response (ie. ^ what he said)

edearl wrote:2. Why anything is often impossible to answer, and maybe not answerable at all.

I know that, too. I was just curious if any Buddhist masters had made any headway regarding the enigma of sleep since they study the mind in all its forms and compare reality to dreams as if they've pretty much got it figured out. Seems like a thorough understanding of why we sleep might be deciphered and explained somewhere along the way, eh? They have all this knowledge of how we fell from the original purity but no explanation for something we need to do every day? Seems kinda funny.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
padma norbu

Postby padma norbu » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:49 pm

Virgo wrote:Well our body has solar and lunar energies, and the moon effects them, causing the need for sleep, or influencing our bodies.

Solar and lunar energies are labels. Whether or not these labels have anything to do with the actual moon and the actual sun would be the question I am asking at this point, but you just keep repeating the same affirmation. Judging by your name, I can guess you are into astrology, but I see no evidence that what you are saying is true. So, rather than repeating it over and over, how about some proof? No need to prove to me that we run on solar energy, as I can clearly see all our nourishment whatsoever, including breath, is taken from the sun. The idea that the moon's gravity affects the tides I also accept. I also believe the moon affects menstrual cycles. However, the moon being the reason we sleep? I will need some convincing. From what I know, complete darkness causes the brain to secrete a substance that makes us sleepy. Even a little bit of ambient light can affect this process. I'm not sure if a bright full moon would be enough ambient light, but I do know that the sleepy-inducing process is triggered by lack of light, not the moon's energy.
padma norbu

Postby Virgo » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:50 pm

padma norbu wrote:I know that, too. I was just curious if any Buddhist masters had made any headway regarding the enigma of sleep since they study the mind in all its forms and compare reality to dreams as if they've pretty much got it figured out. Seems like a thorough understanding of why we sleep might be deciphered and explained somewhere along the way, eh? They have all this knowledge of how we fell from the original purity but no explanation for something we need to do every day? Seems kinda funny.

It's just a natural process, no explanation needed. Why is the sky blue? Doesn't matter to cultivation does it? The heart of the matter is that it's just a thought, something we get hung up on with attachment, and aversion. In my experience, when you just accept the way things are because that is the way they are, you get a peaceful feeling. That makes our mind calm.

Kevin
Virgo

Postby Virgo » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:55 pm

padma norbu wrote:
Virgo wrote:Well our body has solar and lunar energies, and the moon effects them, causing the need for sleep, or influencing our bodies.

Solar and lunar energies are labels. Whether or not these labels have anything to do with the actual moon and the actual sun would be the question I am asking at this point, but you just keep repeating the same affirmation. Judging by your name, I can guess you are into astrology, but I see no evidence that what you are saying is true. So, rather than repeating it over and over, how about some proof? No need to prove to me that we run on solar energy, as I can clearly see all our nourishment whatsoever, including breath, is taken from the sun. The idea that the moon's gravity affects the tides I also accept. I also believe the moon affects menstrual cycles. However, the moon being the reason we sleep? I will need some convincing. From what I know, complete darkness causes the brain to secrete a substance that makes us sleepy. Even a little bit of ambient light can affect this process. I'm not sure if a bright full moon would be enough ambient light, but I do know that the sleepy-inducing process is triggered by lack of light, not the moon's energy.

The moon represents lack of light, and darkness (for example, during the no moon part of the phase). The moon does not produce any light, in fact, all the light we see shining from it is just the reflection of the sun's light reflecting off the moon.

Try this. Your nostrils change dominance approximately every two hours or so. The left nostril in men governs the lunar energy, and the right governs the solar energy. It is the opposite in women. If your right nostril is dominant it will be harder to fall asleep. If the left is dominant, it will be easier. That is why we need specific sleep patterns. One of the reasons is that your energy will set itself up around those patterns to be consistent.

Kevin
Last edited by Virgo on Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Virgo

Postby padma norbu » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:13 pm

I'm not going to continue going around in circles with you about this. You have not convinced me. I'm happy to leave it at that. No need to bring in "why is the sky blue" or discussion of the inner channels of the body. It is utterly irrelevant to question #1. If you want to try to convince me further, do it in the form of a very elaborate and detailed response, not in the form of asking me questions. I will not participate in the old "let me answer your question with a question" game.

This is not intended to be rude. I'm just tired of wasting words on this. We should be well onto the next guy's question at this point rather than beating this dead horse.
padma norbu

Postby Virgo » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:40 pm

padma norbu wrote:I'm not going to continue going around in circles with you about this. You have not convinced me.

The moon will continue to go around in natural circles. :rolling:

Whether we learn to live in harmony with the cycles of nature, or whether we try to go beyond them leading to complete imbalance on the earth is up to us.

Kevin
Virgo

Postby zangskar » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:54 pm

edearl wrote:Another question.

Suppose one is rolling two dice, and before they roll they pray to roll snake eyes (1 on each die). They do this 36 million times, being careful to write down the results of each roll. When they tally the results they have rolled exactly 1 million snake eyes, which is statistically what they should roll according to mathematics.

Does this experiment prove anything about praying?

Someone else is praying for the universe to please play by the rules? :rules: ;)

Best wishes
Lars
zangskar

Postby Virgo » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:15 pm

Ha ha ha

Maybe I am just Pagan born? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwShDMo3e4o&feature=related

Kevin
Virgo

Postby edearl » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:20 pm

zangskar wrote:
edearl wrote:Another question.

Suppose one is rolling two dice, and before they roll they pray to roll snake eyes (1 on each die). They do this 36 million times, being careful to write down the results of each roll. When they tally the results they have rolled exactly 1 million snake eyes, which is statistically what they should roll according to mathematics.

Does this experiment prove anything about praying?

Someone else is praying for the universe to please play by the rules? :rules: ;)

Best wishes
Lars

Maybe a god or gods are unable to change the rules of the universe.
HHDL: "My confidence in venturing into science lies in my basic belief that as in science so in Buddhism, understanding the nature of reality is pursued by means of critical investigation: if scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims."
edearl

Postby padma norbu » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:55 pm

I hope others will join in and raise some questions they might not bother to otherwise share with anyone. This is the kind of mindful mindless blather I used to really enjoy over several pints with philosopher type friends before we all outgrew our open-mindedness and settled into comfortable views, stopped being alcoholics and retreated to our own cloistered family routines as adults who are supposed to have this kind of shit figured out.

:toilet:
padma norbu

Postby deff » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:30 am

why do we cry when we're sad? what's the point of emitting tears from our eyes ? :thinking:
deff

Postby Virgo » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:43 am

deff wrote:what's the point of emitting tears from our eyes ? :thinking:

It's not that hard to determine.

Kevin
Virgo

Postby padma norbu » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:17 am

Virgo wrote:
deff wrote:what's the point of emitting tears from our eyes ? :thinking:

It's not that hard to determine.

Kevin

Clear indication of weakness so everyone can size up just who is the pussy round here. ;) Of course, Kevin will probably tell you it's got something to do with the ocean. :rolling: I'm being a prick and joking, btw.
padma norbu

Postby Virgo » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:43 am

No, it doesn't have to do with the ocean.

Kevin
Virgo

Postby padma norbu » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:00 am

Virgo... I love you. :applause: :D :cheers: :heart:
padma norbu

PreviousNext

Return to Open Dharma