Random questions

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Random questions

Postby padma norbu » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:02 am

1. Anyone figure out why we need to sleep? Buddhist teachers have often compared reality to dreaming, but I read an article not too long ago which said the need for sleep has confounded scientists the more they've learned about it. It seems most of our body reparation happens constantly, not just during sleep, so it is not really apparent why we need sleep at all since originally it was thought that for some reason the sleep stage was necessary to repair the body.

2. If there really are gods with lots of power, then who is to say the Christian Armageddon won't really happen? Does anyone know how limited a god's power is? If the Tibetan tales of magicians are true, then certainly a god must have at least as much power as a human sorcerer. If a sorcerer can trick you into believing an entire lifetime has passed with a span of a few minutes, perhaps a god could put some of us in hell and some of us in heaven after reaking havoc on the earth. I don't really think so, but I haven't really ever read anything that proved it impossible.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
padma norbu

Re: Random questions

Postby Virgo » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:07 am

padma norbu wrote:1. Anyone figure out why we need to sleep? Buddhist teachers have often compared reality to dreaming, but I read an article not too long ago which said the need for sleep has confounded scientists the more they've learned about it. It seems most of our body reparation happens constantly, not just during sleep, so it is not really apparent why we need sleep at all since originally it was thought that for some reason the sleep stage was necessary to repair the body.

Our bodies are influenced by the moon as well as the sun. The moon brings about a restful, blissful state for rejuvenation. Since our bodies have both male and female energies, we need both activity (sun) and inactivity (sleep).

padma norbu wrote: If there really are gods with lots of power, then who is to say the Christian Armageddon won't really happen? Does anyone know how limited a god's power is? If the Tibetan tales of magicians are true, then certainly a god must have at least as much power as a human sorcerer. If a sorcerer can trick you into believing an entire lifetime has passed with a span of a few minutes, perhaps a god could put some of us in hell and some of us in heaven after reaking havoc on the earth. I don't really think so, but I haven't really ever read anything that proved it impossible.

In the Brahma realms there are no demons, so no God vs. Satan saga to play out. Brahmas aren't too concerned with our realm for the most part. Though they do influence people sometimes.

Gods can't send anybody to hell or to heaven because of peoples karma.

Kevin
Last edited by Virgo on Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Virgo

Postby padma norbu » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:11 am

none of those answers satisfy me.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
padma norbu

Postby Virgo » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:12 am

padma norbu wrote:none of those answers satisfy me.

Oh well.

Kevin
Virgo

Postby padma norbu » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:15 am

you tried :thumbsup:
padma norbu

Postby LastLegend » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:27 am

padma norbu wrote:1. Anyone figure out why we need to sleep? Buddhist teachers have often compared reality to dreaming, but I read an article not too long ago which said the need for sleep has confounded scientists the more they've learned about it. It seems most of our body reparation happens constantly, not just during sleep, so it is not really apparent why we need sleep at all since originally it was thought that for some reason the sleep stage was necessary to repair the body.

We need to sleep because the body needs rest.But sleeping a lot is an attachment. We work all day, so we are tired. Why are we tired? Because there is attachment, there is self. That's why self feels tired. If your mind is pure you don't need to sleep, Buddha don't need to sleep. Why did Sakyamuni rest or sleep then? Because that's part of his teachings.

2. If there really are gods with lots of power, then who is to say the Christian Armageddon won't really happen? Does anyone know how limited a god's power is? If the Tibetan tales of magicians are true, then certainly a god must have at least as much power as a human sorcerer. If a sorcerer can trick you into believing an entire lifetime has passed with a span of a few minutes, perhaps a god could put some of us in hell and some of us in heaven after reaking havoc on the earth. I don't really think so, but I haven't really ever read anything that proved it impossible.

This is a philosophical question such as if there is an evil genius tricking you. Well, that's a possibility. Descartes' answered to this question was God exists therefore he would not allow evil genius to mess with us.

My answer is I trust my experience. And I don't see any evil genius anywhere.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)
LastLegend

Postby Virgo » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:31 am

padma norbu wrote:you tried :thumbsup:

In they day time we are like the sun. We wake up when it is just rising above the horizon wherever we are (normally) and become active. We are energetic and full of fire. We have the most energy in the morning and mid-day. Our digestion is highest when the sun is highest in the sky. By evening, our energy begins to wane a little bit. By night time we get tired. When the sun is on the other side of the earth and the moon rules the sky, we sleep.

We don't need to rely on scientists all the time. we can learn from our surroundings, and from nature. :)

After all, we come from the earth. We shouldn't base all we believe on what over-stressed, over worked, cranky scientists in white jackets say all the time.

Kevin
Virgo

Postby Virgo » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:32 am

LastLegend wrote:Descartes' answered

On the totem pole of philosophers, Descartes is at the bottom.

Kevin
Virgo

Postby LastLegend » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:35 am

Virgo wrote:

Kevin

Who is at the top then?
NAMO AMITABHA
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)
LastLegend

Postby Virgo » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:36 am

LastLegend wrote:
Virgo wrote:

Kevin

Who is at the top then?

Buddha Shakyamuni.

Kevin
Virgo

Postby padma norbu » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:37 am

I feel like the responses thus far may have thoroughly read my questions but just interpreted them completely different.

1. Sleep: http://healthysleep.med.harvard.edu/hea ... o-we-sleep

2. This god question really has nothing to do with an evil genius idea nor does karma invalidate the possibility. If we are within a universe where we are in a vulnerable position to gods, then that is our karma and if a god can trick our experience to do his will, like a sorcerer human could, then sending us to heaven or hell isn't much different than how we have the possibility to treat animals as loved pets or tortured livestock.
padma norbu

Postby LastLegend » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:38 am

On earth he is. There are other Buddhas out there.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)
LastLegend

Postby Virgo » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:38 am

LastLegend wrote:On earth he is. There are other Buddhas out there.

Of course. And they all have the same level of wisdom.

Kevin
Last edited by Virgo on Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Virgo

Postby padma norbu » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:39 am

and, btw, these are just random questions. Certainly nothing to get worked up about. I was hoping it could be a place where people add their own random questions over time. Just crap to think about and pick apart.
padma norbu

Postby padma norbu » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:45 am

To me, saying we sleep because of the moon is like saying we breathe because of the air. Not an answer. On planets with 3 moons, do they sleep 3x as much? Our own moon seems to have landed here by quite the marvelous coincidence (and is in fact very suspicious, but I digress...).
padma norbu

Postby LastLegend » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:50 am

padma norbu wrote:2. This god question really has nothing to do with an evil genius idea nor does karma invalidate the possibility. If we are within a universe where we are in a vulnerable position to gods, then that is our karma and if a god can trick our experience to do his will, like a sorcerer human could, then sending us to heaven or hell isn't much different than how we have the possibility to treat animals as loved pets or tortured livestock.

They can at the moment of death. But remember they only mess with us because of karmic connection with them perhaps from previous countless lifetimes.

And I don't understand your question about sleep.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)
LastLegend

Postby padma norbu » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:56 am

LastLegend wrote:
padma norbu wrote:2. This god question really has nothing to do with an evil genius idea nor does karma invalidate the possibility. If we are within a universe where we are in a vulnerable position to gods, then that is our karma and if a god can trick our experience to do his will, like a sorcerer human could, then sending us to heaven or hell isn't much different than how we have the possibility to treat animals as loved pets or tortured livestock.

They can at the moment of death. But remember they only mess with us because of karmic connection with them perhaps from previous countless lifetimes.

Um, what scriptural basis are you asserting the fact that a god can't pull an Armageddon type scenario and reward or punish people as he wishes? Sure, there is karma. That doesn't mean that I can't, for instance, track you down, kidnap you and torture you in my dungeon for the rest of your life. If I did, we would say that my actions and your suffering were linked to previous karma. Furthermore, we can provoke spirits and they can provoke us. According to Tibetan Buddhism, insanity is often causes by demonic possession or other spirit attack. People do crazy things when they are insane, the repercussions of which can be quite hellish. Now then, what specifically indicates that a very powerful god whom we share a karmic connection with could not possibly pull an Armageddon on us and send us to heaven or hell (or whatever)?
padma norbu

Postby LastLegend » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:00 am

padma norbu wrote:
LastLegend wrote:

Um, what scriptural basis are you asserting the fact that a god can't pull an Armageddon type scenario and reward or punish people as he wishes? Sure, there is karma. That doesn't mean that I can't, for instance, track you down, kidnap you and torture you in my dungeon for the rest of your life. If I did, we would say that my actions and your suffering were linked to previous karma. Furthermore, we can provoke spirits and they can provoke us. According to Tibetan Buddhism, insanity is often causes by demonic possession or other spirit attack. People do crazy things when they are insane, the repercussions of which can be quite hellish. Now then, what specifically indicates that a very powerful god whom we share a karmic connection with could not possibly pull an Armageddon on us and send us to heaven or hell (or whatever)?

Maras are more powerful than gods. And gods' powers are limited. Ignorance creates karma creates ignorance. It is a vicious cycle. Now you still want to track me down and kidnap me? You can try to track me down and try to kidnap me but you better be prepared for a battle. :anjali:

Sakyamuni got our back on this saha realm.

Even maras cannot trick you if you are free from sensual attachment. They can only trick you because you have weaknesses. If you are empty, who is there for them to trick?
NAMO AMITABHA
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)
LastLegend

Postby Tilopa » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:10 am

Anyone figure out why we need to sleep?
Because we get tired.
Tilopa

Postby LastLegend » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:12 am

Tilopa wrote: