Intelligent design

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Intelligent design

Postby Epistemes » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:13 am

If everything is dependently originated, then what about intelligent design? Science has documented that if certain conditions on Earth had been variable by .00000000000000000000000001%, life on Earth wouldn't have been possible.
Cantankerous Buddha
Epistemes

Re: Intelligent design

Postby LastLegend » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:47 am

Epistemes wrote:If everything is dependently originated, then what about intelligent design? Science has documented that if certain conditions on Earth had been variable by .00000000000000000000000001%, life on Earth wouldn't have been possible.

Who can design the mind?
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)
LastLegend

Postby Virgo » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:31 am

Epistemes wrote:what about intelligent design?

Ask this child how intelligent it is:

Kevin
Virgo

Postby edearl » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:46 am

I wouldn't start this conversation, but you asked for people's opinions.

I have tried to view the universe as it is, rather than as it seems or as someone tells me...even before I had heard of Buddhism. This practice led me to being agnostic. Moreover, nothing I have ever observed led me to believe that a god or gods affect my life in any way. Modern science presents the most realistic view of things that is possible, for example the Earth is round and orbits the Sun.

Nothing in my experience indicates any intelligence controls or created the Universe. Intelligent design is a Christian idea to argue that the Christian God created man and all living things, instead of evolution. As an agnostic, I admit there may be a god or gods, without any particular religion in mind, but rather creating and ruling the entire Universe for everyone's benefit (or not). Furthermore, if a god or gods exist, they used evolution to to create and evolve life.

AFAIK evolution has not been proven by science, yet. Nonetheless, there are many many examples that indicate evolution is occurring, and most scientists believe it is an essential part of life, including Francis Collins. Collins is the physician-geneticist who led the Human Genome Project for the National Institutes of Health. He is an evangelical Christian who shares my belief in evolution.

See: http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/opin ... 659d.html/
HHDL: "My confidence in venturing into science lies in my basic belief that as in science so in Buddhism, understanding the nature of reality is pursued by means of critical investigation: if scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims."
edearl

Postby kirtu » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:24 am

Epistemes wrote:If everything is dependently originated, then what about intelligent design? Science has documented that if certain conditions on Earth had been variable by .00000000000000000000000001%, life on Earth wouldn't have been possible.

From a scientific POV it means that the universe is a gigantic life machine and that our solar system evolved life in the context of the conditions in our solar system. We will likely find life in numerous other places in the solar system as well, esp. on several of Saturn's moons. On Earth numerous intelligent animals evolved although only one with an advanced technological capability.

Had conditions been different than life would likely have still evolved. But it may not have become technologically adaptive (this is the reason that we aren't dinosaurs). Fermi's Paradox plays a role here, esp. since the universe is conducive to life.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

“All beings are Buddhas, but obscured by incidental stains. When those have been removed, there is Buddhahood.”
Hevajra Tantra
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby catmoon » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:49 am

I would have to say that from any Buddhist POV I am aware of, intelligent design is complete non-starter due to the absence of a Designer.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
catmoon
Former staff member

Postby Caz » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:41 am

I would question the Intelligence of something that desgined Samsara. But I dont think that will ever happen. :thumbsup:
Abandoning Dharma is, in the final analysis, disparaging the Hinayana because of the Mahayana; favoring the Hinayana on account of the Mahayana; playing off sutra against tantra; playing off the four classes of the tantras against each other; favoring one of the Tibetan schools—the Sakya, Gelug, Kagyu, or Nyingma—and disparaging the rest; and so on. In other words, we abandon Dharma any time we favor our own tenets and disparage the rest.

Liberation in the Palm of your hand~Kyabje Pabongkha Rinpoche.
Caz

Postby Fa Dao » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:58 am

ID is nothing more than christianity wrapped up in pseudoscience so that it can be proselytized in the public school system. True science is about having a hypothesis and then proceeding to test and retest that hypothesis in order to see if it is true or not. It is simply not possible to apply this process to ID. There is nothing wrong with teaching religion in schools...teaching it AS religion though and not trying to pass off religious beliefs as science.
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Fa Dao

Postby Astus » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:34 am

"Scientists have calculated that the chance of anything so patently absurd actually existing are millions to one. But magicians have calculated that million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten."
(Terry Pratchett: Mort, p. 1)
"There is no such thing as the real mind. Ridding yourself of delusion: that's the real mind."
(Sheng-yen: Getting the Buddha Mind, p 73)

“Don’t rashly seek the true Buddha;
True Buddha can’t be found.
Does marvelous nature and spirit
Need tempering or refinement?
Mind is this mind carefree;
This face, the face at birth."

(Nanyue Mingzan: Enjoying the Way, tr. Jeff Shore; T51n2076, p461b24-26)
Astus
Former staff member

Postby muni » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:05 am

Many zeros. "In Buddhism" intelligence easely sells Rolex - Lolex qualities for authentic simplicity.
muni

Postby Tilopa » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:28 am

Epistemes wrote:Science has documented that if certain conditions on Earth had been variable by .00000000000000000000000001%, life on Earth wouldn't have been possible.

That just proves dependent arising doesn't it?
Tilopa

Postby catmoon » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:12 am

Tilopa wrote:That just proves dependent arising doesn't it?

It does? Dependent arisings can be probable or improbable. I don't think anything is proven here. Not yet, anyhow. By all means elucidate. :popcorn:
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
catmoon
Former staff member

Postby Sherab » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:56 am

Could be the result of one successful evolution/outcome of countless unsuccessful "evolution" or selection from infinite possible outcomes. Nothing awesome about it.
Sherab

Postby edearl » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:42 am

Sherab wrote:

Could be the result of one successful evolution/outcome of countless unsuccessful "evolution" or selection from infinite possible outcomes. Nothing awesome about it.

One successful evolution/outcome is unlikely to be awesome.

:namaste:
HHDL: "My confidence in venturing into science lies in my basic belief that as in science so in Buddhism, understanding the nature of reality is pursued by means of critical investigation: if scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims."
edearl

Postby Jikan » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:03 pm

Source please. Which scientists are you alluding to?
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby Epistemes » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:55 pm

Jikan wrote:

Source please. Which scientists are you alluding to?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine-tuned_Universe
Cantankerous Buddha
Epistemes

Postby Epistemes » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:14 pm

kirtu wrote:Had conditions been different than life would likely have still evolved. But it may not have become technologically adaptive (this is the reason that we aren't dinosaurs).

In which case, the Six Realms of Existence would have been conceived as Volcano Hell, Hungry Herbivores, Small Mammals, Dinosaurs, Demi-Dinosaurs, and T. Rex.

And all Dinosaurs would travel to Nepal to seek refuge in the Great Buddha Dino

if there was a Six Realms of Existence of a Great Buddha Dino at all.

:rolling:
Cantankerous Buddha
Epistemes

Postby Karma Dondrup Tashi » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:17 pm

Are you talking about the Anthropic Principle?
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Postby Karma Yeshe » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:17 pm

Here is a good reply...

http://youtu.be/YGKRurORkCA
What Is...What Was...What Could be...What must never Be.
The Doctor

Something Old...Something New...Something Borrowed...Something Blue.
Amy Pond
Karma Yeshe

Postby KeithBC » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:52 pm

Interesting juxtaposition of non-sequiturs!

Intelligent design is an intentionally deceptive political attempt to circumvent provisions of the US Constitution. It is dishonest on every level, not the least of which is that it is unable to explain the alleged designer. It belongs in the same dustbin as the Nigerian letter scam, for the same reason: it is fraudulent.

While one could quibble about the number of zeroes in your carefully calculated number, so what? There is no meaningful conclusion you can draw from that. There is a 0.0278 chance that a pair of dice will roll snake-eyes on the first roll. Does that mean that if I roll snake eyes, there was divine or diabolical intervention? Of course not. It means nothing at all.

Om mani padme hum
Keith
KeithBC

Next

Return to Open Dharma