What's wrong with Buddha's 6th sense?

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

What's wrong with Buddha's 6th sense?

Postby DarwidHalim » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:36 am

Dear Members,

When Buddha reach enlightenment under the boddhi tree, he actually 'reluctant' to teach. 'Someone' came and Told him that they are people out there with little dust in their eyes. Those people will be able to understand the teaching. Afterwards, he started his teaching. What is wrong with his '6 sense'?

I posted above topic on the Theravada forum and have some possible answers.

From the Sankrit Sutta, are there any reference or answer for that topic?
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!
DarwidHalim

Re: What's wrong with Buddha's 6th sense?

Postby catmoon » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:48 am

I'm not sure that there is anything wrong there. For all we know, it was inevitable that he would change his mind. We don't know that Buddhahood implies instant and complete omniscience. Note that in order to perceive those few with little dust in their eyes, Buddha had to make use of his newly acquired powers. Perhaps the occaision to do that simple had not arisen yet.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
catmoon
Former staff member

Postby edearl » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:43 am

catmoon wrote:I'm not sure that there is anything wrong there. For all we know, it was inevitable that he would change his mind. We don't know that Buddhahood implies instant and complete omniscience. Note that in order to perceive those few with little dust in their eyes, Buddha had to make use of his newly acquired powers. Perhaps the occasion to do that simple had not arisen yet.

Additionally, if Buddhahood implies instant and complete omniscience, no one else was omniscient and able to converse with him. An omniscient Buddha talking to a mere human might be as a human talking to a dog. For example, a man might say to a dog, "Your biting the tax collector was a good one :smile: " The dog hears an incomprehensible sentence, but sees his master smile and understands the word "good." Thus, the dog thinks, "My master likes me beside him," and being happy, wags his tail.

:namaste:
HHDL: "My confidence in venturing into science lies in my basic belief that as in science so in Buddhism, understanding the nature of reality is pursued by means of critical investigation: if scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims."
edearl

Postby Astus » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:30 am

There are a couple of implications of that story.
1. The Dharma is not easy to understand.
2. At that time only Siddhartha understood it.
3. The great Brahma implored the Buddha to teach, acknowledging him as superior and as a buddha.

From a Mahayana perspective the whole thing was a show, a skilful means only, as the Buddha was enlightened aeons ago. That is another way of saying that one should not get lost in verbal details but see the purpose of a story.
"There is no such thing as the real mind. Ridding yourself of delusion: that's the real mind."
(Sheng-yen: Getting the Buddha Mind, p 73)

“Don’t rashly seek the true Buddha;
True Buddha can’t be found.
Does marvelous nature and spirit
Need tempering or refinement?
Mind is this mind carefree;
This face, the face at birth."

(Nanyue Mingzan: Enjoying the Way, tr. Jeff Shore; T51n2076, p461b24-26)
Astus
Former staff member

Postby catmoon » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:52 am

Astus wrote:1. The Dharma is not easy to understand.
2. At that time only Siddhartha understood it.
3. The great Brahma implored the Buddha to teach, acknowledging him as superior and as a buddha.

I wonder what a Brahmin would have to say about #3?
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
catmoon
Former staff member

Return to Open Dharma