Is crying healthy?

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Is crying healthy?

Postby Epistemes » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:49 pm

A Buddhist discussion board is probably the most inane place to post a thing like this...

...but Western centers for natural healing claim that crying is a sign of emotional healthiness.

Crying most surely is a sign of attachment and samsara, as the Buddha indicates, but what if it's physically healthy?
Cantankerous Buddha
Epistemes

Re: Is crying healthy?

Postby Virgo » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:51 pm

Epistemes wrote:A Buddhist discussion board is probably the most inane place to post a thing like this...

...but Western centers for natural healing claim that crying is a sign of emotional healthiness.

Crying most surely is a sign of attachment and samsara, as the Buddha indicates, but what if it's physically healthy?

If one cries, at least one is in touch with ones emotions, which at least in itself, would seem to be healthy to me.

I really don't know. I am no expert.

Kevin
Virgo

Postby Malcolm » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:55 pm

Epistemes wrote:A Buddhist discussion board is probably the most inane place to post a thing like this...

Like any physical function supressing the urge is not healthy, forcing it is also not healthy.
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

" The one who teaches the benefits of peace,
he is said to be a ṛṣī; the others are the opposite of him."

-- Uttaratantra
Malcolm

Postby Ng'mu » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:41 pm

The Sancrit term Rudra means to cry. So it is a fundamental aspect of samsara, suffering, sickness and death.
All of which one could argue, are not healthy.
'Hell is the Lama of the Buddhas' -Guru Rinpoche
Ng'mu

Postby mint » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:29 pm

Ng'mu wrote:The Sancrit term Rudra means to cry. So it is a fundamental aspect of samsara, suffering, sickness and death.

Rudra? Like the Rigvedic god of the storm? My sources tell me that the god Rudra specifically designated the howling of the storm. I imagine it's this howling that has it's connection to crying.

Interesting etymology!
mint

Postby LastLegend » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:40 pm

Catharsis is a term coined by Freud that means to release your suppressed thoughts and emotions. But then again, this might work but only temporary. The cup is only empty so it can be filled again. So not the the best way to deal with reactions.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)
LastLegend

Postby Malcolm » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:12 pm

Ng'mu wrote:The Sancrit term Rudra means to cry. So it is a fundamental aspect of samsara, suffering, sickness and death.

Crying in the sense of yelling out....

rudra mfn. (prob.) crying , howling , roaring , dreadful , terrific , terrible , horrible
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

" The one who teaches the benefits of peace,
he is said to be a ṛṣī; the others are the opposite of him."

-- Uttaratantra
Malcolm

Postby Kyosan » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:17 pm

I don't think that crying necessarily goes against Buddhism. You see in the Buddhist literature, instances where people had realizations and were moved to tears.
:namaste:
Kyosan

Postby Sönam » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:43 pm

I was crying on my avatar ...

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Sönam

Postby mint » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:38 pm

Kyosan wrote:I don't think that crying necessarily goes against Buddhism. You see in the Buddhist literature, instances where people had realizations and were moved to tears.

Are tears of happiness a sign of samsara?
mint

Postby edearl » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:40 pm

Namdrol wrote:
... Crying most surely is a sign of attachment and samsara, as the Buddha indicates, but what if it's physically healthy?

Like any physical function supressing the urge is not healthy, forcing it is also not healthy.

Western medicine says forcing a smile or laugh is good for you.
See: http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/node/2054
HHDL: "My confidence in venturing into science lies in my basic belief that as in science so in Buddhism, understanding the nature of reality is pursued by means of critical investigation: if scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims."
edearl

Postby mint » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:44 pm

edearl wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
... Crying most surely is a sign of attachment and samsara, as the Buddha indicates, but what if it's physically healthy?

Western medicine also steals your children away from you if you don't do like the doctor orders! :evil:

:focus:
mint

Postby edearl » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:58 pm

mint wrote:
edearl wrote:
Namdrol wrote:Like any physical function supressing the urge is not healthy, forcing it is also not healthy.

Western medicine also steals your children away from you if you don't do like the doctor orders! :evil:

A government might steal children for that reason. Doctors use medicine to diagnose and heal. However, a government may make a law to force a doctor to do a thing the doctor would not otherwise do. Western trained doctors follow the creed to do no harm, but taking a child away from its parent generally causes harm, with some exceptions (e.g., a parent or the parents are battering the child). Medicine is a science--a body of knowledge that can be used by people for both good and bad. Your complaint is with the legal system, not medicine.
HHDL: "My confidence in venturing into science lies in my basic belief that as in science so in Buddhism, understanding the nature of reality is pursued by means of critical investigation: if scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims."
edearl

Postby Jikan » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:37 am

Sometimes the legal system has a good reason to take children away from parents who refuse conventional health care. One example:

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-city/i ... ial_1.html

Jikan
Site Admin

Return to Open Dharma