Getting Real, Getting Dirty

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Re: Getting Real, Getting Dirty

Postby Virgo » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:34 am

kirtu wrote:
Virgo wrote:
In general, I agree with Namdrol. Buddhist women are rare, especially ones you actually want to bring to your bed.

What? Buddhist women are rare? Where are you, on one of the Survivor Island's or something? Many groups are largely women. Now as for whether or not you are attracted to them, that's another issue.

Kirt

Oh, well if you know any who are dedicated tantrikas, are drop-dead gorgeous, are particularly foul-mouthed, have lots of piercings, don't take shit from anyone but are also very loving, kind, and gentle, and strong, oh and preferably drive around in a jacked up truck on 35 inch mud tires like a badd-ass girl, let me know. I'll give you my number for them.

Thanks.

Kevin
Last edited by Virgo on Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Virgo

Postby Virgo » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:35 am

kirtu wrote:he backtracked a bit when I sarcastically brought it out.

Kirt

I don't backtrack. Rawr!

It was just a generalisation of course, as I stated like three times, meaning that there are many exceptions. :)
Kevin
Virgo

Postby kirtu » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:55 am

Virgo wrote:
kirtu wrote:
Virgo wrote:
In general, I agree with Namdrol. Buddhist women are rare, especially ones you actually want to bring to your bed.

What? Buddhist women are rare? Where are you, on one of the Survivor Island's or something? Many groups are largely women. Now as for whether or not you are attracted to them, that's another issue.

Kirt

Oh, well if you know any who are dedicated tantrikas, are drop-dead gorgeous, are particularly foul-mouthed, have lots of piercings, don't take shit from anyone but are also very loving, kind, and gentle, and strong, oh and preferably drive around in a jacked up truck on 35 inch mud tires like a badd-ass girl, let me know. I'll give you my number for them.

Generally they're not foul mouthed or drive trucks but just go to NYC and all the rest is met. If you liked guys then the foul mouthed thing would be in workable also in NYC ...

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

“All beings are Buddhas, but obscured by incidental stains. When those have been removed, there is Buddhahood.”
Hevajra Tantra
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby Virgo » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:06 am

kirtu wrote:Generally they're not foul mouthed or drive trucks but just go to NYC and all the rest is met. If you liked guys then the foul mouthed thing would be in workable also in NYC ...

Kirt

I'm a not a big fan of cities. The tree to person ratio is too low.

Kevin
Virgo

Postby justsit » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:29 am

Virgo wrote:Oh, well if you know any who are dedicated tantrikas, are drop-dead gorgeous, are particularly foul-mouthed, have lots of piercings, don't take shit from anyone but are also very loving, kind, and gentle, and strong, oh and preferably drive around in a jacked up truck on 35 inch mud tires like a badd-ass girl, let me know. I'll give you my number for them.

You guys are so easy :rolling:
justsit

Postby Epistemes » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:09 am

This thread makes me think that I need to bring protection when I visit a dharma center!

:jedi:
Cantankerous Buddha
Epistemes

Postby Jikan » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:20 pm

Epistemes wrote:This thread makes me think that I need to bring protection when I visit a dharma center!

In my experience, it's more like a family event than a singles bar--the relationships you build at the temple feels more like family than anything else. Your mileage may vary.
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby Jikan » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:22 pm

Virgo wrote:
kirtu wrote:Generally they're not foul mouthed or drive trucks but just go to NYC and all the rest is met. If you liked guys then the foul mouthed thing would be in workable also in NYC ...

Kirt

I'm a not a big fan of cities. The tree to person ratio is too low.

Kevin

This might be right up your alley.

http://adirondacktendai.org
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby Epistemes » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:37 pm

Jikan wrote:
Epistemes wrote:This thread makes me think that I need to bring protection when I visit a dharma center!

In my experience, it's more like a family event than a singles bar--the relationships you build at the temple feels more like family than anything else. Your mileage may vary.

Sounds like my local parish church. It also sounds like I should treasure my time now...alone.
Cantankerous Buddha
Epistemes

Postby Jikan » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:12 pm

That may be so, Epistemes. I meant the comment on family to signify a healthy relationship of care, concern, and not infrequently, playfulness. I've seen a few dysfunctional "families" too though... :crazy:
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:09 pm

xylem wrote:When I was on the board of a center once, I brought up the issue of diversity. I pointed out that there was a huge African American university community that we've failed to interact with. The response from several board members: "black people don't practice this kind of Buddhism". When I tried to detangle that with them I was accused of being hostile and censured.

Wow, that quote speaks to heart of matter, which I think is what the long-time members of many sanghas actually think and say behind closed doors when the decisions are made.

However, I haven't seen any overt examples of racism in the sanghas I've visited in Europe, but then again, so few non-white people attend that there's little opportunity to see racism.
Luke

Postby Silent Bob » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:55 pm

If you want a taste of how it feels to be marginalized and ignored because of your race, try spending time with some of the mostly Chinese sanghas in Vancouver.
"All the sublime teachings, so profound--to throw away one and then grab yet another will not bear even a single fruit. Persevere, therefore, in simply one."
--Dudjom Rinpoche, "Nectar for the Hearts of Fortunate Disciples. Song No. 8"
Silent Bob

Postby Luke » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:23 pm

Silent Bob wrote:If you want a taste of how it feels to be marginalized and ignored because of your race, try spending time with some of the mostly Chinese sanghas in Vancouver.

Do they speak English well? If not, then I could see why they don't really want to talk to English speakers.

Do you speak Chinese well? If so and they still ignored you, then that would be pretty bad.
Luke

Postby kirtu » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:57 pm

Luke wrote:
Silent Bob wrote:If you want a taste of how it feels to be marginalized and ignored because of your race, try spending time with some of the mostly Chinese sanghas in Vancouver.

Do they speak English well? If not, then I could see why they don't really want to talk to English speakers.

Do you speak Chinese well? If so and they still ignored you, then that would be pretty bad.

In general it is still the case that most Asian sangha groups find it unusual for westerners to come and attend. This is changing. Slowly. The Tibetans have been seeing westerners in their midst for close to two decades now in groups in the west. It's still unusual to many of them. There have been westerners going to Buddhist Churches of America since around WW II - same story (although it does depend now on where you are, so there is improvement there). Some westerners have been going to Chinese temples since the 60's (don't know about in Vancouver itself though).

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

“All beings are Buddhas, but obscured by incidental stains. When those have been removed, there is Buddhahood.”
Hevajra Tantra
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby Virgo » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:54 pm

justsit wrote:
You guys are so easy :rolling:

:D
Kevin
Last edited by Virgo on Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Virgo

Postby Virgo » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:55 pm

Jikan wrote:
This might be right up your alley.

http://adirondacktendai.org

Cool. Thanks Jikan. :)

Kevin
Virgo

Postby Jikan » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:14 pm

No probalo. Although if you're in Columbia County, the main Tendai temple near Chatham might be closer to you...
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby Virgo » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:54 pm

Jikan wrote:No probalo. Although if you're in Columbia County, the main Tendai temple near Chatham might be closer to you...

I've driven by the temple but have never visited. I'm in Greene County, NY, a few hundred feet from the border with Columbia. The main temple is on the way out to Massachusetts, if I take the back way.

Kevn
Virgo

Previous

Return to Open Dharma