Kali Yuga

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Kali Yuga

Postby Karma Dondrup Tashi » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:42 am

I know we are supposed to be in Kali Yuga where things get worse and worse. Sometimes I have intuitions though that the world is progressing toward a point of greater awakening. Is this just romantic BS or is it real?
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Re: Kali Yuga

Postby deepbluehum » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:46 am

Karma Dondrup Tashi wrote:I know we are supposed to be in Kali Yuga where things get worse and worse. Sometimes I have intuitions though that the world is progressing toward a point of greater awakening. Is this just romantic BS or is it real?

I believe in the Diamond Sutra it explains that in the last 500 years many bodhisattvas will be born out of compassion for those veering into the last of the degenerated days. It makes sense there would be a sudden flare up of enlightened folks, but then they would die and those born after that will live without dharma until Maitreya Buddha comes thousands of years from now.
deepbluehum

Postby catmoon » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:45 am

My intuition points strongly in that direction. My view is parochial, but in my lifetime, where I live, people have become much more tolerant, kind and understanding. It may be the aftermath of the bitter lessons of WWII, I don't know, maybe it's the teachings of the Dalai Lama, maybe its a consequence of having to share the planet with ever increasing numbers of people, or the Dawning of the Age Of Aquarius. <shrug>

Further, when I read things written in, say medeival England, it seems that this has been going on for a long time.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
catmoon
Former staff member

Postby Dechen Norbu » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:45 pm

I disagree. Perhaps reading Jean Twenge "Generation Me" explains why I think the way I do.
http://www.generationme.org/
Dechen Norbu

Postby Malcolm » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:56 pm

Karma Dondrup Tashi wrote:Sometimes I have intuitions though that the world is progressing toward a point of greater awakening. Is this just romantic BS or is it real?

In my opinion, romanticism.
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

" The one who teaches the benefits of peace,
he is said to be a ṛṣī; the others are the opposite of him."

-- Uttaratantra
Malcolm

Postby Virgo » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:08 pm

Karma Dondrup Tashi wrote:I know we are supposed to be in Kali Yuga where things get worse and worse. Sometimes I have intuitions though that the world is progressing toward a point of greater awakening. Is this just romantic BS or is it real?

I don't think it is, though we will go through alot of changes. I remember those days I am still very fond of, walking up to 71'st and Continental Avenue in Forest Hills, Queens when I was about 15 to read astrology books and other esoteric stuff. At the time I studied the subject as best I could, learned how to draw charts, etc, to a novice degree. For example, my name comes from the fact that I have four planets in the 9'th house all of which are in Virgo. This is an extremely interesting aspect considering they include the moon, saturn, and jupiter in the particular house they are placed in. Anyway, we are dawning on a new age, it's not just b.s. This has been going on for sometime and we are still on the cusp. The Aquarian age will be one of increased information, communication, and openness, primarily. We can see this happening already. Just about all information will become readily available to any human, anywhere. Communication will become even faster. Things will become transparent. For example, people will not be able to hide their past at all, even governments will become totally transparent (you can see examples of this happening already). The family, and societal structures will change. Employees will have more authority for example. Things won't be so "top down". The whole "top down" structure of our institutions will go through a big adjustment. The voices of everyone will be heard and actually considered. This does create a lot of opportunities and does bring a greater sense of "brotherhood" to mankind, but that is about it. This sounds great but it is just how life will change. At the same time, people passions are increasing, which generally leads to bad things.

Kevin
Virgo

Return to Open Dharma