why did you 'guess' buddhism?

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Re: why did you 'guess' buddhism?

Postby AilurusFulgens » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:51 pm

Hello,

I saw the topic and decided to "jump into the pool", since the water seems quite fine.

I have not yet embarked on the path of Buddhadharma, but I am in the process of gathering information and studying.

What do I find fascinating about Buddhism as a potentially prospective Buddhist?

a.) Compassion

As I said in one of the previous posts: of what use is becoming a siddha and then watching your fellow human (or sentient) beings suffer? It strikes me as rather selfish i.e.

Buddhism is in this sense really unique. Attaining something profound and then helping others with your ability to remove their suffering.

Compassion makes us human and humane. Lack of compassion is something that manifests the demonic in us.

b.) Emptiness and dependent origination

It is difficult for me to fully reconcile with the notion of anatman, but at the same time the above descriptions of reality are highly consistent and sound, which brings me to the next point

c.) I am really impressed by the clarity of argument put forth by Buddha, especially the 4 Noble Truths and the 8-fold path.

I like how Buddha structured the presentation of the 4 Noble Truths akin to a clinical diagnosis of a medical doctor.

- diagnosing the illness
- determining the cause of illness
- showing that the cause has to be removed in order to cure the illness
- demostrating the path on how to remove the cause

d.) Buddha's pragmatism. The Enlightened One was a very practical person. This can be seen in his story of the poisoned arrow and also the parable with the raft.

There is much more I find attractive, when it comes to Buddhism, but I just wanted to randomly list some things that immediately came to my mind.

A. Fulgens
AilurusFulgens

Postby coldmountain » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:06 am

I was surprised to see 60 replies to this topic. Thanks for the replies, and the good read, everyone. :)
coldmountain

Postby Thug4lyfe » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:07 am

I didn't guess, I believe all the teachings.
Thug4lyfe

Previous

Return to Open Dharma