DMT

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Re: DMT

Postby Adamantine » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:20 am

TMingyur wrote:Ordinary people are simply seeking experience they can take delight in because being attached to delight is the thirst that binds them in samsara. What they call "enlightenment" is simply fabricated by this thirst for delight.

Kind regards

good way to put it. But still it is important to recognize that many of us wouldn't have put a foot on the path if we hadn't had
ego-shattering -albeit unstable and transitory- experiences while using psychedelics.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Adamantine
Global Moderator

Postby deff » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:14 pm

yeah i wouldn't likely be here without them either :thumbsup:
deff

Postby threebit3 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:57 am

I have not tried it but we have the colorado river toad out here and it is a natural form. Dr Andrew Weil tried it.Here is his take.
http://www.erowid.org/archive/sonoran_d ... street.htm
ROW ROW ROW YOUR BOAT
threebit3

Postby Karma Dondrup Tashi » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:26 pm

Psychedelics are not "fun", they are not a "party". If you want to party, do something else. Entheogens/psychedelics can be, when properly understood and treated with appropriate respect, something that can teach you something - if you are willing to have an open mind about it. If all you are looking for is "delight" they you may or may not find it - but in any case you won't fully benefit from the experience.
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Postby padma norbu » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:23 pm

conebeckham wrote:Ah.....I see.
That's the "natural" stuff...not the stinky crystalline stuff that...well, nevermind.

BTW, if anyone of you hasn't seen the movie "Enter the Void," the first ten minutes or so of that flick may bring back some particularly intense memories.

I saw this movie... thought it was quite awful. I read an interview with the director/creator who said he wasn't a Buddhist, didn't believe in Bardo Thodol and thought it was silly how people infer so much from the basic premise of the script. Rather, he just wanted to make a story about a person dying while on drugs and show what that would be like. He should have kept his mouth shut because that is about the lamest concept for a movie ever. I only watched it based on the premise and what I'd read about the special effects which were supposedly realistic (I guess) approximations of what DMT can be like.

I did LSD and other psychedelics many years ago, but never DMT. I would be more curious about DMT now based on its relationship to death and the fact that it is really what is at work in your brain during dreams, etc. It's found in almost every plant and organism and clearly has something to do with our perception. I perhaps would like to try it just to have the experience under my belt before I die, as another preparation for death.

I smoked that salvia divinorum stuff a few times to see what it was like to lose complete control of your mind... I don't think any amount of mind-stabilizing practice would help control that experience, so I hope death is nothing like that. I liken it to being shot out of a canon into a multiple-worlds reality. There is a complete loss of self and an overload of images and ideas happening so fast and fragmented that you can't even remember it. Thank goodness it only lasts about 5 minutes. The last time I did it, I came back to self-awareness on my hands and knees, drooling and with the distinct impression I was a werewolf stuck in a tar pit, laughing hysterically to the point of being out of breath and unable to make actual laughing sounds anymore. Finding myself in this position was a shock and, momentarily, I looked up to find my wife and my friend looking down at me with much concern.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
padma norbu

Previous

Return to Open Dharma