Spend More time Online or On Mind?

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Spend More time Online or On Mind?

Postby PadmaVonSamba » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:46 pm

A recent conversation inspired me to post this question:
Do you spend more time meditating or on the computer?
Meditating (in this context) can include any 'formal' practice (sitting/walking meditation, chanting, ngongdro, etc.)
Time on the computer excludes anything related to work, school, or other obligations. I am talking about "free time" .
Don't calculate time spent on buddhist web forums into the equation!

Not necessary to reply to this, just something to look at.
:thinking:
Profile Picture: "The Foaming Monk"
The Chinese characters are Fo (buddha) and Ming (bright). The image is of a student of Buddhism, who, imagining himself to be a monk, and not understanding the true meaning of the words takes the sound of the words literally. Likewise, People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.
Original painting by P.Volker /used by permission.
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Spend More time Online or On Mind?

Postby ronnewmexico » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:24 pm

hmmmmm
Last edited by ronnewmexico on Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
ronnewmexico

Postby Chaz » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:13 pm

PadmaVonSamba wrote:A recent conversation inspired me to post this question:
Do you spend more time meditating or on the computer?
Meditating (in this context) can include any 'formal' practice (sitting/walking meditation, chanting, ngongdro, etc.)
Time on the computer excludes anything related to work, school, or other obligations. I am talking about "free time" .
Don't calculate time spent on buddhist web forums into the equation!

Not necessary to reply to this, just something to look at.
:thinking:

I used to spend way more time online, especially forums, than I do now.

I started Ngondro in March and things have kinda changed. I'm not that interested in the forums any more. I wasn't getting anything positive, even on Buddhist boards. My practice takes around 90 minutes to complete, so there isn't as much time left over for things like online nonsense.

I have some Facebook duties for my sangha, and a vintage sportscar racing club I belong to, and I maintain my meditation instuctor's business web site. That adds up to a few hours a week online working on that stuff.

I still check the boards I'm subbed to once in the evening, but seldom if ever post anymore. Not much I'm interested in reading and even less that I want to contibute to.

And why not calculate the Buddhist forums into it? They can be as big a waste of time and an excercise in idle chatter as any other forum out there.

Call me a killjoy if you must .......
Chaz

Postby Quiet Heart » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:23 pm

:smile:
Call me silly if you want to, but I don't see time on line on a Buddhist forum...especially like this discusssing a point from the Buddhist perspective....and of course respecting any other opinions presented that might be different from your own first opinion...and considering that other person's opinion from a Buddhist perspective also....that might in fact, BE PRACTICE ....or at least a study of the Dharma as. it acts in the "real world"
So with that thougtht in mind...that to a person who considers himself/herself as a Buddhist and approaches all he/she finds as simply another teaching of the Dharma and a revelation of it's relevence in the "real world" ....I guess I'll keep reading and adding my opinion here on these forums.
:smile:
Shame on you Shakyamuni for setting the precedent of leaving home.
Did you think it was not there--
in your wife's lovely face
in your baby's laughter?
Did you think you had to go elsewhere (simply) to find it?
from - Judyth Collin
The Layman's Lament
From What Book, 1998, p. 52
Edited by Gary Gach
Quiet Heart

Postby PadmaVonSamba » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:37 am

Well, this is for fun. But I figure that spending time on buddhist web forums can count both as dharma practice and as not dharma practice, thus cancelling itself out.
Profile Picture: "The Foaming Monk"
The Chinese characters are Fo (buddha) and Ming (bright). The image is of a student of Buddhism, who, imagining himself to be a monk, and not understanding the true meaning of the words takes the sound of the words literally. Likewise, People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.
Original painting by P.Volker /used by permission.
PadmaVonSamba

Postby Starglade » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:50 am

PadmaVonSamba wrote:Well, this is for fun. But I figure that spending time on buddhist web forums can count both as dharma practice and as not dharma practice, thus cancelling itself out.

I'd think that would depend on what one's doing while "foruming." If one's debating canon references, for example, I'd say that counts as practice/study. If one's playing in the games forum--well, not so much. :yinyang:

I freely admit i spend WAY more time online than meditating. WAY more. But with that said, a lot of my time online is spent reading and researching, too. So . . . I suppose it cancels out. Heh.
Starglade

Return to Open Dharma