Hara Vs Gut Flora

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Hara Vs Gut Flora

Postby BuddhistPariah » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:11 am

Due to the guidelines of this topic and because I think it is very interesting topic I decided to restart it here where there are less restrictions.

Hara/Tan Tien meditation is important in Chan/Zen and Taoism it is considered the physical and mental barycenter that can give us the balance required to start a more serious practice.

But what it has to be with the intestinal flora? May be nothing or may be all.

Here we have an interesting article to start.

It seems to be tricky to get a healthy gut flora but some systems seem to work out despite I haven't tried any of them:

Colorado Cleanse which claims to have amazing results at a physical and psychological level.

Specific Carbohydrate Diet which claims to be good even to treat autism.

Konstantin Monastyrsky who goes against the flow but makes much sense to me, so I recommend his book specially to gregkavarnos because it shows a very different perspective of this subject.

The idea of matching the eastern Hara/Tan tien with the western Gut Flora has just come to me, it is my idea. Do you think is there any base to make both compatible and useful for health and to increase the efficiency of the spiritual practice?
BuddhistPariah

Re: Gut Flora

Postby starfish » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:21 pm

I have found that Kombucha (fermented carbonated cool tea), live sauerkraut, cultured vegetables (heres a blog with some recipes: http://earthmother-intheraw.blogspot.co ... ables.html), coconut kefir (make from coconut milk), or soygurt, always make my body feel more vibrant and healthy.
starfish

Re: Hara Vs Gut Flora

Postby Sherab Dorje » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:09 am

BuddhistPariah wrote:Konstantin Monastyrsky who goes against the flow but makes much sense to me, so I recommend his book specially to gregkavarnos because it shows a very different perspective of this subject.
More exercise, fibre (and I am not a believer in fiber supplements, fresh fruits and vegetables and whole grains are much better because they contain vitains and minerals not found in supplements) and water (plus a reduction in meat intake) are a logical proposal to the majority of Americans since they lack these specific elements in their diet and lifestyle. To propose to a healthy ,fit person, eating a balanced diet that they should increase these elements is stupid and/or dangerous. Obviously Monastyrsky was suffering from a number of (other) undiagnosed problems which the doctors he consulted did not diagnose.

(Most) Doctors, like most people, are creatures of habit and bored with their daily regime of prescribing antibiotics for viral infections and psychiatric medicines for psychological problems and just want to get you out of their office (and your money into their pocket) so they can get to the golf course before their other doctor friends tee-off.

It would be silly to generalise from Monastyrskys specific problems to arrive at a dietary formula for all people. Maybe even dangerous. As dangerous as prescribing more water, fiber and exercise "off the bat" to all people regardless of their specific problems. But like I said, given the high rate of obesity and bad dietary habits of most Americans it is probably less dangerous to propose more fiber, water and exercise than it is to put them onto some highly restrictive and non-sensical diet plan.
:namaste:
PS Healthy, fit people get sick too!
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Return to Open Dharma