What is Transmission?

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Re: What is Transmission?

Postby Malcolm » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:10 pm

adinatha wrote:I have also found that transmission is not indispensable for gaining experience with practices. For example, no teacher gave me transmission for deity yoga X or guru yoga Y, but I practiced these with devotion and the signs of accomplishment arose nonetheless.

This is generally explained as the blessings of māra.

N
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

" The one who teaches the benefits of peace,
he is said to be a ṛṣī; the others are the opposite of him."

-- Uttaratantra
Malcolm

Postby adinatha » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:33 pm

Namdrol wrote:
adinatha wrote:I have also found that transmission is not indispensable for gaining experience with practices. For example, no teacher gave me transmission for deity yoga X or guru yoga Y, but I practiced these with devotion and the signs of accomplishment arose nonetheless.

N

Sure. But that's just general. With the lineage mind transmission one has power to overcome four maras.
CAW!
adinatha

Postby Malcolm » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:34 pm

adinatha wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

N

Sure. But that's just general. With the lineage mind transmission one has power to overcome four maras.

Only if you are a buddha, and I imagine you are not really willing to claim that status for yourself. Only a buddha has overcome the four māras.

N
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Uttaratantra
Malcolm

Postby adinatha » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:45 pm

Namdrol wrote:
Only if you are a buddha, and I imagine you are not really willing to claim that status for yourself. Only a buddha has overcome the four māras.

N

What I'm getting at is four maras are always a problem on the path to buddhahood. The lineage blessings are not mara's blessings.
CAW!
adinatha

Postby conebeckham » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:53 pm

So, based on a little review of this thread, it seems to me that "Transmission" does not mean there is some "mystical" force or energy, or whatnot, that is "transmitted" from master to disciple. Though, in my opinion, some folks think of it that way.

Instead, through a number of specific causal conditions and circumstances, including the conditions of"Proper" student-properly prepared, with appropriate vows, etc. and the "Proper" teacher-with lineage, and with appropriate experience, the properly-proscribed ritual/methodology/ceremony takes place, and transmission occurs.
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.
conebeckham

Postby adinatha » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:55 pm

conebeckham wrote:So, based on a little review of this thread, it seems to me that "Transmission" does not mean there is some "mystical" force or energy, or whatnot, that is "transmitted" from master to disciple. Though, in my opinion, some folks think of it that way.

Instead, through a number of specific causal conditions and circumstances, including the conditions of"Proper" student-properly prepared, with appropriate vows, etc. and the "Proper" teacher-with lineage, and with appropriate experience, the properly-proscribed ritual/methodology/ceremony takes place, and transmission occurs.

Good one. I agree with this.
CAW!
adinatha

Postby Kyosan » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:21 pm

Astus wrote:So you say that it can't be explained what is being transmitted because "you have to experience it"? Even about apples there is quite a lot to say, and this is just Wikipedia. If somebody asks about selflessness it would be a weak and dismissive answer to say "you have to experience it" or give a few metaphors as if one were talking about human reproduction to little children. Fortunately there are many teachings on selflessness to provide a clear and lucid explanation to anyone interested. Anything even close to that on transmission?

You seem to think that Buddhism is easy to comprehend, but it's not. Why do you think that Buddha explained the dharma in so many ways, and used metaphor? We really are like children to the Buddha and shouldn't feel insulted when metaphor is used in the sutras or by others explaining their understanding of Buddhism to us. If it helps us understand, it's a good thing.

That feeling of being insulted, I think, is the ego. One of the great things about Mahayana Buddhism is that we try to put our feelings aside and practice for the sake of all sentient beings. I think, doing that is very beneficial to our practice. It's not easy to do; I have trouble with that all the time.
:namaste:
Kyosan

Postby Sherab Dorje » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:47 pm

Astus wrote:Both get the point across clearly. Or an e-mail, a video, a postcard, a piece of paper on the fridge, etc. Both tell the same thing and I understand the same thing. There are of course possibilities to make it sound/look more emotional, aesthetic, passionate, and so on, but the message remains the same.
So all there is to saying "I love you" is the words (or sounds made by saying the words) and any medium that allows these words (sounds) to reach you, is fine by you?

I just gonna say it straight up: I think you are talking shit just to avoid accepting a fact! Now if only I can figure out why you are putting up so much pointless resistance to the obvious...
:namaste:
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby PadmaVonSamba » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:56 am

Namdrol wrote:

"This is generally explained as...."

N

Just curious, do you consider yourself to be a dogmatist?
Profile Picture: "The Foaming Monk"
The Chinese characters are Fo (buddha) and Ming (bright). The image is of a student of Buddhism, who, imagining himself to be a monk, and not understanding the true meaning of the words takes the sound of the words literally. Likewise, People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.
Original painting by P.Volker /used by permission.
PadmaVonSamba

Postby PadmaVonSamba » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:02 am

Astus wrote:
If I read the 5 precepts and keep them is not the same if I hear and then keep them - no reason why. But if I watch a video about the Diamond Sutra is just as good as if I were present at the teaching.

The error is assuming that a teaching is the same as a transmission.
The Chinese characters are Fo (buddha) and Ming (bright). The image is of a student of Buddhism, who, imagining himself to be a monk, and not understanding the true meaning of the words takes the sound of the words literally. Likewise, People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.
PadmaVonSamba

Postby Malcolm » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:59 am

PadmaVonSamba wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

N

Properly speaking, I am Buddhist doxologist -- someone who is who studies and is fairly expert in various Buddhist doxologies.
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Uttaratantra
Malcolm

Postby adinatha » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:51 am

Namdrol wrote:
PadmaVonSamba wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

N

Properly speaking, I am Buddhist doxologist -- someone who is who studies and is fairly expert in various Buddhist doxologies.

WTF? This is the first time I've seen this word. Online dict says, an expert in liturgies and hymns? You must be joking.
CAW!
adinatha

Postby PadmaVonSamba » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:05 am

Namdrol wrote:

Thanks, doc. just wondered. So, to relate that to this topic, do you think something is conveyed in liturgical singing or chanting that goes beyond the mere words that are being sung?

Not to suggest that this would in itself be an example of "transmission", but merely to suggest that something intangible can also be presented, along with the words?
PadmaVonSamba

Postby ground » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:02 am

Astus wrote:But, there are those who believe transmission is real and important. How so?

No Dharma without transmission.
However once the to-be-transmitted has been received the recipient should pack up and leave. Why? The transmitter has completed his job and has delivered the to-be-transmitted.

Kind regards
ground

Postby adinatha » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:07 am

TMingyur wrote:
Astus wrote:But, there are those who believe transmission is real and important. How so?

However once the to-be-transmitted has been received the recipient should pack up and leave. Why? The transmitter has completed his job and has delivered the to-be-transmitted.

Kind regards

Sometimes the transmission can take years. As in the case of Milarepa spending 12 years with Marpa.
CAW!
adinatha

Postby ground » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:14 am

If one conditions oneself with such kind of thoughts then one may end up clinging one's whole life without receiving. Better to leave and look for an efficient transmitter.

Kind regards
ground

Postby Josef » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:19 am

TMingyur wrote:

Kind regards

Ridiculous as usual.
Josef

Postby Tara » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:37 am

Off topic posts deleted.

:focus: "What is Transmission?"

Regards,
rt
Tara

Maybe you collect a lot of important writings,
Major texts, personal instructions, private notes, whatever.
If you haven’t practiced, books won’t help you when you die.
Look at the mind – that’s my sincere advice.

from Longchenpa's 30 Pieces of Sincere Advice

Mors certa — hora incerta
Tara
Site Admin

Postby Malcolm » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:50 pm

adinatha wrote:
WTF? This is the first time I've seen this word. Online dict says, an expert in liturgies and hymns? You must be joking.

Doxology is the study of opinions, from the Greek "doxa" as in orthodox.

N
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Uttaratantra
Malcolm

Postby Malcolm » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:51 pm

PadmaVonSamba wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

Thanks, doc. just wondered. So, to relate that to this topic, do you think something is conveyed in liturgical singing or chanting that goes beyond the mere words that are being sung?

Not to suggest that this would in itself be an example of "transmission", but merely to suggest that something intangible can also be presented, along with the words?

There is a mixup -- there are two words, same spelling, differing meanings depending on context.
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Uttaratantra
Malcolm

PreviousNext

Return to Open Dharma