What is Transmission?

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Re: What is Transmission?

Postby adinatha » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:14 am

Pero wrote:
adinatha wrote:There has been instances of empowerment in dream, meditation or waking experience. Why's that?

So?


Empowerment can come from blessings and devotion. This limited understanding of transmission is not the whole story.
CAW!
User avatar
adinatha
 
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:07 am

Re: What is Transmission?

Postby Pero » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:17 am

adinatha wrote:
Pero wrote:
adinatha wrote:There has been instances of empowerment in dream, meditation or waking experience. Why's that?

So?


Empowerment can come from blessings and devotion. This limited understanding of transmission is not the whole story.

Your example is something very rare, something that's not going to happen for the majority of the people, so I think it really has nothing to do with the current discussion.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Pero
 
Posts: 1801
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:54 pm

Re: What is Transmission?

Postby Sherab Dorje » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:26 am

Sherab wrote:Say person A is knew person B is looking for a thing Y. Person A intends to give person B the thing Y and left it in a place X. Person B went to place X and saw thing Y and took thing Y. In this instance, is there no offering of thing Y by person A to person B? Is there no receiving of thing Y by person B from person A?
Sounds like you are talking about termas.
:namaste:
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
User avatar
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member
 
Posts: 7902
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: What is Transmission?

Postby Malcolm » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:10 pm

Sherab wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
Sherab wrote:If a teacher intends to transmit via a recording and acts on that intention and make the recording, then according to you there can be no transmission despite the intention of the teacher to transmit and the intention of the student to receive, if the student listens to the recording made by the teacher since "the act of speaking and the act of listening happening together at the same time .. constitutes a transmission".


Correct. There has never been an instance of an empowerment delivered via a recording. Why is that?

N

Say person A is knew person B is looking for a thing Y. Person A intends to give person B the thing Y and left it in a place X. Person B went to place X and saw thing Y and took thing Y. In this instance, is there no offering of thing Y by person A to person B? Is there no receiving of thing Y by person B from person A?


Your example is irrelevant to empowerments and transmissions.
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

" The one who teaches the benefits of peace,
he is said to be a ṛṣī; the others are the opposite of him."

-- Uttaratantra
Malcolm
 
Posts: 10202
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: What is Transmission?

Postby Sherab » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:47 am

Namdrol wrote:
Sherab wrote:Say person A is knew person B is looking for a thing Y. Person A intends to give person B the thing Y and left it in a place X. Person B went to place X and saw thing Y and took thing Y. In this instance, is there no offering of thing Y by person A to person B? Is there no receiving of thing Y by person B from person A?


Your example is irrelevant to empowerments and transmissions.

My post is not meant to be an example but an attempt to strip down the argument to the essentials to see where, if any, the problem of any definition of transmission lies.

Back to my "example": If it is agreed that there is a giving by A and a receiving by B, then it that a "transmission"?

If you impose the condition that the teacher must be present for the transmission to take place, then what you are essentially saying is that "thing Y" is something that can only be transmitted personally by the teacher. If so, then what is this "thing Y" that is being "transmitted" in an empowerment? Certainly not the words of the vajra master during an empowerment because words can be transmitted via a recorder too. If you say it is to establish a "connection", then reasons should be provided as to why the "connection" cannot be established via a third object like a recorder.
User avatar
Sherab
 
Posts: 695
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:28 am

Re: What is Transmission?

Postby Malcolm » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:48 am

Sherab wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
Sherab wrote:Say person A is knew person B is looking for a thing Y. Person A intends to give person B the thing Y and left it in a place X. Person B went to place X and saw thing Y and took thing Y. In this instance, is there no offering of thing Y by person A to person B? Is there no receiving of thing Y by person B from person A?


Your example is irrelevant to empowerments and transmissions.

My post is not meant to be an example but an attempt to strip down the argument to the essentials to see where, if any, the problem of any definition of transmission lies.

Back to my "example": If it is agreed that there is a giving by A and a receiving by B, then it that a "transmission"?

If you impose the condition that the teacher must be present for the transmission to take place, then what you are essentially saying is that "thing Y" is something that can only be transmitted personally by the teacher. If so, then what is this "thing Y" that is being "transmitted" in an empowerment? Certainly not the words of the vajra master during an empowerment because words can be transmitted via a recorder too. If you say it is to establish a "connection", then reasons should be provided as to why the "connection" cannot be established via a third object like a recorder.



I have explained this ad nauseaum.
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

" The one who teaches the benefits of peace,
he is said to be a ṛṣī; the others are the opposite of him."

-- Uttaratantra
Malcolm
 
Posts: 10202
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: What is Transmission?

Postby Sherab » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:53 am

Namdrol wrote:
Sherab wrote:
Namdrol wrote:Your example is irrelevant to empowerments and transmissions.

My post is not meant to be an example but an attempt to strip down the argument to the essentials to see where, if any, the problem of any definition of transmission lies.

Back to my "example": If it is agreed that there is a giving by A and a receiving by B, then it that a "transmission"?

If you impose the condition that the teacher must be present for the transmission to take place, then what you are essentially saying is that "thing Y" is something that can only be transmitted personally by the teacher. If so, then what is this "thing Y" that is being "transmitted" in an empowerment? Certainly not the words of the vajra master during an empowerment because words can be transmitted via a recorder too. If you say it is to establish a "connection", then reasons should be provided as to why the "connection" cannot be established via a third object like a recorder.



I have explained this ad nauseaum.

Really? My apologies then. I'll search through the thread when I have more time.
User avatar
Sherab
 
Posts: 695
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:28 am

Re: What is Transmission?

Postby Astus » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:57 am

Sherab,

What I've found as the answer to the question is that transmission is defined as a live connection between teacher and student. It is like saying that swimming is moving in the water by the movement of one's body. It is a matter of definition and that's all, nothing more.
"There is no such thing as the real mind. Ridding yourself of delusion: that's the real mind."
(Sheng-yen: Getting the Buddha Mind, p 73)

“Don’t rashly seek the true Buddha;
True Buddha can’t be found.
Does marvelous nature and spirit
Need tempering or refinement?
Mind is this mind carefree;
This face, the face at birth."

(Nanyue Mingzan: Enjoying the Way, tr. Jeff Shore; T51n2076, p461b24-26)
User avatar
Astus
Former staff member
 
Posts: 4126
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:22 pm
Location: Budapest

Re: What is Transmission?

Postby Sherab » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:24 am

Astus wrote:Sherab,

What I've found as the answer to the question is that transmission is defined as a live connection between teacher and student. It is like saying that swimming is moving in the water by the movement of one's body. It is a matter of definition and that's all, nothing more.

Thanks Astus. Namdrol's definition of transmission is similar to that of a hug, it can only be given directly without any intervening media. As to why it has to be direct, he seemed to imply that no karmic connection can take place if it is indirect. I would agree with this only if the transmission involved a change in the mind of the recipient, the change being directly and personally caused by the teacher doing the so-called "transmission". Otherwise, as far as I am concerned, indirect connection is still possible. For example, if my memory serves me correctly, Gampopa and Longchenpa had stated in certain of their works that reading that particular work would be the same as getting the teaching directly from them, or something like that.
User avatar
Sherab
 
Posts: 695
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:28 am

Re: What is Transmission?

Postby Astus » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:15 am

Sherab,

The Platform Sutra has an answer, "Those who grasp at emptiness slander the Sutras by maintaining that written words have no use. Since they maintain they have no need of written words, they should not speak either, because written words are merely the marks of spoken language. They also maintain that the direct way cannot be established by written words, and yet these two words, 'not established' are themselves written."
"There is no such thing as the real mind. Ridding yourself of delusion: that's the real mind."
(Sheng-yen: Getting the Buddha Mind, p 73)

“Don’t rashly seek the true Buddha;
True Buddha can’t be found.
Does marvelous nature and spirit
Need tempering or refinement?
Mind is this mind carefree;
This face, the face at birth."

(Nanyue Mingzan: Enjoying the Way, tr. Jeff Shore; T51n2076, p461b24-26)
User avatar
Astus
Former staff member
 
Posts: 4126
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:22 pm
Location: Budapest

Re: What is Transmission?

Postby PadmaVonSamba » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:32 pm

If we assert that phenomena are ultimately empty of intrinsic existence due to the analysis of breaking down an object into its components, then words, since they are also phenomena, also have no intrinsic existence.

Just as the parts of a carriage do not contain anything which can be called any sort of essence of 'carriage" If I say "transmission" this spoken word can be broken down etymologically (trans + mission) or by syllables, or by letters. None of the letters in the word "transmission" means transmission, nor does the spoken sound "miss" or any other parts. This holds true for any spoken word.

Further, words do not travel through the air. If I think "transmission" and emit vocal chord vibrations, those vibrations merely create a chain reaction of air molecules, the last one on the chain beating your eardrum. Only when you hear it does it become a sound, and only when that vibration is processed by the mind does it once again take on the characteristics of the word "transmission". This holds true for any spoken word.

Likewise, the words you are reading now are merely pixels.

I don't know if that means anything here or not.
Profile Picture: "The Foaming Monk"
The Chinese characters are Fo (buddha) and Ming (bright). The image is of a student of Buddhism, who, imagining himself to be a monk, and not understanding the true meaning of the words takes the sound of the words literally. Likewise, People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.
Original painting by P.Volker /used by permission.
User avatar
PadmaVonSamba
 
Posts: 2800
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 1:41 am

Re: What is Transmission?

Postby Sherab » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:34 am

Astus wrote:Sherab,

The Platform Sutra has an answer, "Those who grasp at emptiness slander the Sutras by maintaining that written words have no use. Since they maintain they have no need of written words, they should not speak either, because written words are merely the marks of spoken language. They also maintain that the direct way cannot be established by written words, and yet these two words, 'not established' are themselves written."

Thanks Astus.
What I was trying to say was that transmission can be both direct and via a medium. Certain transmission has to be direct. Others can be via a media which need not be restricted to an inanimate object.
User avatar
Sherab
 
Posts: 695
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:28 am

Re: What is Transmission?

Postby ground » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:05 am

There are quite some posts in this thread that are related to metaphysics which necessarily implies meta-ontology.

Kind regards
User avatar
ground
 
Posts: 1782
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:31 am

Re: What is Transmission?

Postby Enochian » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:00 pm

Another reason one cannot receive transmission from a recording, is the fact that the guru is not there to verify the students realization, look after the student, care for the student etc.

Isn't that right?
There is an ever-present freedom from grasping the mind.

Mind being defined as the thing always on the Three Times.
Enochian
 
Posts: 364
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:19 pm

Previous

Return to Open Dharma

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: palchi, psbot [Picsearch], Thrasymachus, Yahoo [Bot] and 21 guests

>