buddhist hinduism?

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Re: buddhist hinduism?

Postby Red Faced Buddha » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:00 pm

coldmountain wrote:Hi everyone,

I'd like to ask for some thoughts regarding the idea of Buddha-nature in some Buddhist schools, and whether there is any meaningful difference Buddha-nature and Hinduism's atman. It has been my understanding that Buddhism has generally tried to deconstruct metaphysical ideas like self and substance. Buddhism, in my understanding, does not want to reify a self or reason about some pregiven essence behind the phenomenal world. Now, perhaps it should be expected that, in spite of this, such notions would resurface within Buddhism, since it seems almost wired into our thinking and, naturally, build into our language to speak in essentialist categories and dualistic terms. But if Buddhism admits that there is some kind of "essence" behind the phenomenal world that is absolute, unchanging, etc., is this not identical to Hinduism's atman metaphysics? For instance, I have read Buddhist teachers who teach of there being a fundamental and unchanging "awareness" that exists absolutely unchanging to itself, and the phenomenal world appears as images in a mirror, leaving the mirror (awareness) unchanged.

Peace and thanks for reading,
Mike

Everything is impermanent,if there was a soul,eventually it would die,fade,etc.Personally,I feel Hindus,Jains,Buddhist,Sikhs,and other Dharmic religions have a special bond.A Hindu may believe in atman,Buddhist in anatman but our religions all attempt to find enlightenment.
:namaste:
A person once asked me why I would want to stop rebirth. "It sounds pretty cool. Being able to come back. Who wouldn't want to be reborn."
I replied. "Wanting to be reborn is like wanting to stay in a jail cell, when you have the chance to go free and experience the whole wide world. Does a convict, on being freed from his shabby, constricting, little cell, suddenly say "I really want to go back to jail and be put in a cell. It sounds pretty cool. Being able to come back. Who wouldn't want that?"
Red Faced Buddha

Re: buddhist hinduism?

Postby ram peswani » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:33 am

coldmountain wrote:Hi everyone,

I'd like to ask for some thoughts regarding the idea of Buddha-nature in some Buddhist schools, and whether there is any meaningful difference Buddha-nature and Hinduism's atman.
Mike

Hinduism believes in Atman which is all powerful and prevading every where.
Every one of us thro this journey of existence has to start and end in Atman.
Arhant is the one who quickly ends the journey in Atman and it is the ultimate
achievement.

Buddhism believes in Emptiness/ Suniata. It is all prevading but aloof.Every one of
us has to start the journey of existence from emptiness out of ignorance.
Emptiness is the most important Dharma. One lhas to re-experience this important
Emptiness Dharma by WISDOM. This wisdom is acquired during the journey of
existence. With the strength of Wisdom and re-experiencing Emptiness Dharma
many avenues or paths open.These are the paths of Bhoddisattvas. Bhoddisattvas
after a long and pleasant powerful journies can Win over Emptiness.This science
Guatam Buddha has mentioned in Lotus Sutra. This science is difficult to
understand and hence Guatam Buddha hid it from his monks for a long period of
20 - 40 years. He revealed this science to those monks who had reached
Arhatship in the last 5-10 years of his life.

To those whom he revealed this science he bestowed the prophesy that they can
bring an ordinary devoted layman to Buddhahood. In this way all sentients will be
benefitted of this science of Buddhahood.
ram peswani

Previous

Return to Open Dharma