Canadian University finds mystic spot in brain

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Canadian University finds mystic spot in brain

Postby Rael » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:57 pm

Is this just another attack by atheists....
or did we find the receiver developed in the human brain for everything to happen....

i put this here for it does mention Buddhism and shows it in a bad light...

i'm trying to see this as a positive step towards our understanding...

8 minutes you should watch....give it 2 minutes and see at least...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN3ggRgY7Ac
Love Love Love
Rael

Re: Canadian University finds mystic spot in brain

Postby Blue Garuda » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:09 pm

The mind is easily deluded and misinterprets the senses - remember snake and stick.

The message is that we should train our minds so that we are not misled by appearances - whether created by LSD or magnets.
Left
Blue Garuda

Postby Nosta » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:14 pm

I didnt saw the video (lack of time right now) but i bet is just crap. Scientists will give anything to prove that our world os verey "solid", with no demons and such.

We could also argue that many people saw things that are unexplainable by science.

Within some 200 years, scentists will find that Buddha was 100000 years more advanced than them.

Also, remeber too that lots of scientists with such studies are just catholics desperate to take down "different views" from other religions.
Nosta

Postby Rael » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:10 pm

Well i realize people don't watch these things....this one caught my eye due to it being Canadian .
More and more i find Canadian students being told there is no God...openly in university settings...

I had a Muslim family freaking out about it....their daughter who wants to be a doctor was told in a classroom setting that Jesus was metaphor, never existed....i forget what class....some science class and the topic came up...

but this is odd....

recall the testing done to students when Tm meditation hit the west....

all positive.

In Princess Margret cancer hospital, Canada's biggest , they teach Medicine Buddha meditation using the lapiz color without the imagery...the meditation is a direct ripp from Medicine Buddha...except the religious aspect...

this study only proves that one can cause hallucinations when a seizure in the brain is brought on...

Atheists are teaching atheism in classrooms unrelated to religion in Canadian universities.....

I think the Abraham religions are the target though....
Love Love Love
Rael

Postby tomamundsen » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:02 am

Rael wrote:Is this just another attack by atheists....
or did we find the receiver developed in the human brain for everything to happen....

i put this here for it does mention Buddhism and shows it in a bad light...

i'm trying to see this as a positive step towards our understanding...

8 minutes you should watch....give it 2 minutes and see at least...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN3ggRgY7Ac

Well, they don't ever say anything about Buddhism. They just show images of the Buddha and Tibetan rituals.

They just found that you can stimulate the brain in a certain way to feel like you are in the presence of a being that actually isn't there.
tomamundsen

Postby ground » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:10 am

Thank you!
This is a good contribution to the topic The All and the aggregates.

What a about "Buddha nature" in this context?

Kind regards
ground

Postby ground » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:58 am

Or ... a further suggestion: What about the "mystic spot" with regard to "I" and "mine"?

Kind regards
ground

Postby Rael » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:11 pm

all it proves ..and i was surprised to see them using Tibetan rituals and prayer flags as some sort of drivel.....
this guy wants us to think there is nothing spiritual ever happening other than seizures in the brain both brought on by the god helmet or natural occurance....

it took me by surprise...but there is a huge push on in the universities now to strip religion from the minds of youth...

The Abrahamic religions have and always have been very dangerous ....the concept of God helping a tribal people with war and killing...and this God killing with floods....etc....

the source religion is a totem to frighten Bedouin tribes..Jesus came and was suppossed to tame that God,,,the new convenant...but in the hands of barbaric tribal people they used it to kill and hang people in his name...nightmare...then the Islamic crusades to bring Islam with force.....

i think Buddhism is getting caught in the crossfire....
Love Love Love
Rael

Postby neverdowell » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:46 pm

Rael wrote:it took me by surprise...but there is a huge push on in the universities now to strip religion from the minds of youth...

Yep. Actually any mainstream information source.

To develop bodhichitta, which is the actual practice, you need to develop such compassion that you simply cannot bear others being tormented by suffering. But in order to develop this compassion, you must know exactly how you yourself are plagued by suffering. And you must understand that the whole of samsara is by nature suffering. But first you must fear the lower realms, for without this you will have no repudiation of celestial and human happiness. You must therefore train your mind in the small- and medium- scope parts of the path. -- Pabongka Rinpoche
neverdowell

Postby Blue Garuda » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:02 pm

Well, I'm not so excited by the mystic spot as the fact that they have found a brain in Canada! LOL :)
Left
Blue Garuda

Postby ground » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:12 pm

Rael wrote:this guy wants us to think there is nothing spiritual ever happening other than seizures in the brain both brought on by the god helmet or natural occurance....

Well that proves that experience has observable correlates in the body. Isn't really astonishing considering the fact that consciousness depends on form (rupa).

kind regards
ground

Postby Blue Garuda » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:20 pm

Rael wrote:all it proves ..and i was surprised to see them using Tibetan rituals and prayer flags as some sort of drivel.....
this guy wants us to think there is nothing spiritual ever happening other than seizures in the brain both brought on by the god helmet or natural occurance....

it took me by surprise...but there is a huge push on in the universities now to strip religion from the minds of youth...

The Abrahamic religions have and always have been very dangerous ....the concept of God helping a tribal people with war and killing...and this God killing with floods....etc....

the source religion is a totem to frighten Bedouin tribes..Jesus came and was suppossed to tame that God,,,the new convenant...but in the hands of barbaric tribal people they used it to kill and hang people in his name...nightmare...then the Islamic crusades to bring Islam with force.....

i think Buddhism is getting caught in the crossfire....

Brain is not mind. They are tinkering with the hardware under the delusion that there is nothing else, because they can't stick a probe in it.
Left
Blue Garuda

Postby norman » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:14 am

Yeshe wrote:Brain is not mind. They are tinkering with the hardware under the delusion that there is nothing else, because they can't stick a probe in it.

On the other hand, the "software", so to speak, can never be found within the hardware, either. Their delusion is correct as a delusion. And since it is a delusion, it's not a question of it being true - simply because it is a delusion.
norman

Postby ground » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:18 am

norman wrote:On the other hand, the "software", so to speak, can never be found within the hardware, either.

"And" - or "although" - there cannot be any software without hardware either.

Kind regards
ground

Return to Open Dharma