In its proper sphere...

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

In its proper sphere...

Postby plwk » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:06 pm

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
"How amazing, sir. How astounding, that there is neither extolling of one's own Dhamma nor deprecation of another's, but just the teaching of the Dhamma in its proper sphere, speaking to the point without mentioning oneself."

Spoken in praise of the Elder Ananda, is the above so impracticable these days on Buddhist fora almost rivaling the perceived difficult quest for liberation itself?

Thoughts? :popcorn:
plwk

Re: In its proper sphere...

Postby Rael » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:08 pm

I'm not quite sure where your going with this....

Have an idea, but then again it could be nowhere near where your going with this....the medium sometimes has us fall flat on our arse.....and causes grief to an extant that we never felt so...sort of like using your blackberry for five minutes to text someone, and solving nothing and making it all worse..... when all you had really need was a one minute phone call

*winkety wink*
Love Love Love
Rael

Re: In its proper sphere...

Postby Mr. G » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:59 pm

plwk wrote:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
"How amazing, sir. How astounding, that there is neither extolling of one's own Dhamma nor deprecation of another's, but just the teaching of the Dhamma in its proper sphere, speaking to the point without mentioning oneself."

Spoken in praise of the Elder Ananda, is the above so impracticable these days on Buddhist fora almost rivaling the perceived difficult quest for liberation itself?

Thoughts? :popcorn:

Perhaps I'm wrong but though there is some minor criticisms online, I think conversations overall have improved greatly. If anything I think the majority of issues are doctrinal issues within vehicles, and it's quite harmless and sincerely well intentioned. I think the majority of people use discussion to learn as opposed to proselytizing.
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Return to Open Dharma