Kaliyuga

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Re: Kaliyuga

Postby Indrajala » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:17 am

KeithBC wrote:
Huseng wrote:Also five of the planets are within 10 degrees of the Vedic reference star of Zeta Piscium, which is apparently the important point rather than the actual visible alignment, though it still is unique.

Sorry, I can excuse errors of interpretation, but not errors of fact. Using Stellarium, the same software you used to generate the graphic above, here are the angular distances from Zeta Piscium to each of the planets, excluding Mars, which is so far away from the grouping as to be irrelevant:

Jupiter: 19 degrees
Venus: 23 degrees
Uranus: 27 degrees
Mercury: 29 degrees
Saturn: 44 degrees
Neptune: 61 degrees

In other words, there is not a single one of them that is within ten degrees of that star. Sorry.

Om mani padme hum
Keith

Well that tosses a wrench in the machine.

I wish Richard Thompson was still alive. I'd contact him.

Thompson's calculations were like this:

http://books.google.com/books?id=9oi64r ... &q&f=false

See table 5 which shows his numbers for sunrise on Feb. 18, 3102 BCE.
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala
Former staff member

Re: Kaliyuga

Postby KeithBC » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:26 pm

Huseng, I apologize.

I was misled by your graphic which is dated for the year "-3102". However Thompson's calculations are for the year "3102 BC". Not the same thing, since in the AD/BC system there is no year zero. 3102 BC is -3101. If you re-do the simulation for the year -3101, there is a much more significant alignment. Stellarium gives the following angular distances from Zeta Picsium:

Sun: 4 degrees
Moon: 6 degrees
Mars: 8 degrees
Venus: 8 degrees
Jupiter: 8 degrees (Venus and Jupiter are almost on top of each other)
Mercury: 19 degrees
Saturn: 32 degrees

So yes, that is a somewhat significant alignment, and would be quite uncommon. Since his software is giving essentially the same results as ours, I don't doubt his claim that there are only three other such alignments in the intervening years.

Om mani padme hum
Keith
KeithBC

Previous

Return to Open Dharma