the great vegetarian debate

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Re: the great vegetarian debate

Postby Gyalpo » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:39 am

Namdrol wrote:
LastLegend wrote:
Uh nobody said it is ok to kill insects...but the karma for killing an insect is different from killing a larger animal.

This is merely your imputation. I don't think the Buddha ever made such a statement, at least I have never read such a statement by him anywhere. The only possible argument one could make for this is that killing bugs requires very little intention, and so the force of intention propelling the action is generally weaker than the force of intention it takes to kill a larger animal. But there certainly is not inherently less karma in killing a bug than an animal. That is ridiculous.

N

I am aware of such statement from Buddha in pali canon, but I can not say now where exactly, in which sutta it was.
Gyalpo

Postby deepbluehum » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:53 am

Namdrol wrote:
deepbluehum wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
I predict you will have a variety of vata disorders before too long, with all due respect.

N

It would have happened by now. Besides, I don't need cooked foods to fix a vata disorder. Raw organic cumin, cayanne, ginger and other hot plants will do.

It's not that simple. I wish it were.

We'll just have to see. I'll update if I ever start having problems with this.
deepbluehum

Postby ground » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:10 am

Gyalpo wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
LastLegend wrote:
Uh nobody said it is ok to kill insects...but the karma for killing an insect is different from killing a larger animal.

This is merely your imputation. I don't think the Buddha ever made such a statement, at least I have never read such a statement by him anywhere. The only possible argument one could make for this is that killing bugs requires very little intention, and so the force of intention propelling the action is generally weaker than the force of intention it takes to kill a larger animal. But there certainly is not inherently less karma in killing a bug than an animal. That is ridiculous.

N

I am aware of such statement from Buddha in pali canon, but I can not say now where exactly, in which sutta it was.

There is no such statement from Buddha in the pali canon. It is just your phantasy.

Kind regards
ground

Postby Virgo » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:28 am

deepbluehum wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
deepbluehum wrote:...I have been drinking green smoothies and eating greens, fruits, nuts and seeds for long enough to attribute strong confidence to my account.

I predict you will have a variety of vata disorders before too long, with all due respect.

N

It would have happened by now. Besides, I don't need cooked foods to fix a vata disorder. Raw organic cumin, cayanne, ginger and other hot plants will do.

Your playing with something dangerous. Vatta inbalance will hurt your spiritual practice, big time. Not to mention, of course, it will wreak havoc on your mundane life as well. Vatta is very, very powerful set of energies. Wind is a huge factor in all of life. I really can't say enough about it.

Kevin
Virgo

Postby deepbluehum » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:47 pm

Virgo wrote:
deepbluehum wrote:
Namdrol wrote:I predict you will have a variety of vata disorders before too long, with all due respect.

N

Your playing with something dangerous. Vatta inbalance will hurt your spiritual practice, big time. Not to mention, of course, it will wreak havoc on your mundane life as well. Vatta is very, very powerful set of energies. Wind is a huge factor in all of life. I really can't say enough about it.

Kevin

Don't worry about me. I'm in fine health. Thank you.

But I will say it is irresponsible to use words like "dangerous" for raw diet. It's the opposite of dangerous. It's such a simple solution to health, and the best way to support one's own practice. The best part is that you don't have to rely on some "expert" to tell you how to live.
deepbluehum

Postby deepbluehum » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:59 pm

Namdrol wrote:It's not that simple. I wish it were.

I believe it is quite simple. For me, simplicity is gospel.
deepbluehum

Postby Virgo » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:23 pm

deepbluehum wrote:Don't worry about me. I'm in fine health. Thank you.

But I will say it is irresponsible to use words like "dangerous" for raw diet. It's the opposite of dangerous. It's such a simple solution to health, and the best way to support one's own practice. The best part is that you don't have to rely on some "expert" to tell you how to live.

Just wait to the end of the fall season.

Kevin
Virgo

Postby deepbluehum » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:54 pm

Virgo wrote:

Kevin

Cold is no problem
deepbluehum

Postby Virgo » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:19 pm

TMingyur wrote:
There is no such statement from Buddha in the pali canon. It is just your phantasy.

Kind regards

Commentaries.

Kevin
Virgo

Postby Virgo » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:02 am

deepbluehum wrote:
Virgo wrote:

Kevin

Cold is no problem

As I said, you will see what happens by the end of fall.

Best of luck. I mean it.

Kevin
Virgo

Postby David N. Snyder » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:29 am

A vegan raw food diet is very healthy. A friend of mine ( http://www.runningraw.com/ ) has been on a raw food vegan diet for years and is in his 40s now and regularly wins running races, especially with climbs and also stair climbing races. And when I say win at the races, I don't just mean in his age group, I mean the overall competition against the 20 and 30 somethings.

It is difficult to do because most people don't like the blandness of it, mostly salads, no cooked foods, but if you can do it, the diet is very healthy.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby PadmaVonSamba » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:05 pm

How does one get protein and calcium from raw food that doesn't come out of an animal?
Profile Picture: "The Foaming Monk"
The Chinese characters are Fo (buddha) and Ming (bright). The image is of a student of Buddhism, who, imagining himself to be a monk, and not understanding the true meaning of the words takes the sound of the words literally. Likewise, People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.
Original painting by P.Volker /used by permission.
PadmaVonSamba

Postby David N. Snyder » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:11 pm

PadmaVonSamba wrote:How does one get protein and calcium from raw food that doesn't come out of an animal?

Those are some of the myths about vegetarian/vegan diets.

Generally, if vegans eat a variety of plant foods (legumes, nuts, seeds, vegetables, fruits and grains) and consume sufficient calories, protein needs will be met. However, if protein intakes are marginal, legumes become especially important.

The calcium we need may be easily obtained from leafy greens, vegetables, fruits, legumes and some nuts and seeds.

See:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nil-zacha ... _ref=false
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby PadmaVonSamba » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:01 am

I was a vegetarian for 16 years and ate a lot of beans, but they have to be cooked. That's what i was wondering about. thanks.
Profile Picture: "The Foaming Monk"
The Chinese characters are Fo (buddha) and Ming (bright). The image is of a student of Buddhism, who, imagining himself to be a monk, and not understanding the true meaning of the words takes the sound of the words literally. Likewise, People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.
Original painting by P.Volker /used by permission.
PadmaVonSamba

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:34 pm

PadmaVonSamba wrote:I was a vegetarian for 16 years and ate a lot of beans, but they have to be cooked. That's what i was wondering about. thanks.

Yes, that is true. I am mostly vegan, but have tried raw fooding a couple of times. It is just too hard and perhaps too extreme.

You are right some foods just appear that they must be cooked. You can 'soak' some foods, but for example, potatoes, beans, and others, there is really no way around it -- they must be cooked.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby deepbluehum » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:27 pm

PadmaVonSamba wrote:How does one get protein and calcium from raw food that doesn't come out of an animal?

Foods like kale and spinach.
deepbluehum

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:33 pm

deepbluehum wrote:Foods like kale and spinach.

Hi deepblue,

Out of curiosity, how do raw foodists handle potatoes, beans, and other hard vegetables that appear that they must be cooked? Do you just avoid eating those kinds of foods altogether?
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby deepbluehum » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:08 am

David N. Snyder wrote:
deepbluehum wrote:Foods like kale and spinach.

Hi deepblue,

Out of curiosity, how do raw foodists handle potatoes, beans, and other hard vegetables that appear that they must be cooked? Do you just avoid eating those kinds of foods altogether?

Some are 95%ers, so some will have yams cooked (or raw). For beans, we usually sprout them and eat the sprouts. Most everything else can be eaten raw.
deepbluehum

Postby deepbluehum » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:46 am

Chia seeds for calcium too.
deepbluehum

Postby deepbluehum » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:11 am

Here are a few things you can use to enhance meditation practice:

You can make drinks with these ingredients (all at once or separately):

Cacao nibs (grind in pestle)
Ground macca root
(Japanese) Matcha tea
Chia seeds
Cayanne pepper
Goji berries
Peppermint
Lemon
Coconut water
Almonds (grind in pestle)

I'm not saying you throw all of this into one drink, but play around. These things have a combination of hydrating, nutritional, medicinal and neurological effects that go very well with a meditation practice. Google these things to learn more.
deepbluehum

PreviousNext

Return to Open Dharma