Guru Rinpoche and Sakyamuni

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Re: Guru Rinpoche and Sakyamuni

Postby Aemilius » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:36 pm

I agree, the source is a person who has attained shila, samadhi and prajna, ie ethical discipline, meditative absorption and direct vision of reality. It is not a question of ethnicity or language. There are many such people I have met and known, they are from many different backgrounds and native languages.

Thank You !

benchen wrote:Hello again

You have misunderstood my meaning.

I do not mean translation work done by western authors of original teachings of great
masters.

Many books written by western authors are based on their own views/ own teaching
after following a lama for sometime. Many info are incorrect .

Again i repeat here , learn from the source. Not 2nd hand re-productions garbage.
svaha
Aemilius

Postby Aemilius » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:46 pm

It may be necessary to say that in the Nyingma there are many different facts that disagree, different versions of what took place, and you have to understand them in a symbolic way, like that number of years I mentioned previously, it is normal Nyingma!! All of them have some meaning, it does not mean that some person has falsified them, the numbers and details differ in different authoritative texts, and you have to get used to it !!

kindly

benchen wrote:Aemilius

The western authors of the buddhist materials you have read are second hand informers.

you must get information from first hand - the source

But unfortunately if you can only read English , you will mostly get from those
authors , many are not qualified teachers.

Many info they wrote are garbage.

something like this - you go to a western guy for indian astrology. you should go directly to a indian guy for indian astrology instead.

Hope this will help .
svaha
Aemilius

Postby kirtu » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:43 pm

Nyingma certainly has these variations in years, numbers , etc. One of my teachers explicitly points them out as does HHST and I've heard HHDL say "according to this source it says this and according to that source it says this". I once asked a lineage holder after a teaching - you said thus and such but according to the Bardo Thodal it says this - did I mishear you? And he responded the BT does say that but in the Namcho teachings the presentation he gave is what is taught.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

“All beings are Buddhas, but obscured by incidental stains. When those have been removed, there is Buddhahood.”
Hevajra Tantra
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby Yonten Nyima » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:07 am

benchen wrote:Did Sakyamuni Buddha ever mentioned in his 49 years of teaching a bodhisattva or a future bodhisattva name Guru Rinpoche ??

Both of them attained enlightenmemt differently , one of them through consort practice .

Followers of Guru Rinpoche and followers of Buddha do different practices.

Do they contradict each other ?

Guru Rinpoche was an emenation of Amitabha Buddha, who spread the Dharma to Tibet. He doesnt seem to need the teaching of Shakyamuni considering who he is. Yet he follows the tantric teachings prescribed during the third turning of the wheel of dharma. He also hid away more advanced tantric techniques to be found by a karmically ripe person in the karmically correct age.

And he did not necessarily attain enlightenment through consort practices, he was "born" liberated, in the center of a lotus in the land of uddiyana.
Though the real one may not have been born in a lotus, he IS Amitabha, so it can serve as a metaphore for his inherent nature as the Buddha of limitless light.

And on your question, to my knowledge he did fortell Amida coming as well as HH Karmapa.
Yonten Nyima

Postby Bodhi » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:46 am

benchen wrote:Hello again

You have misunderstood my meaning.

I do not mean translation work done by western authors of original teachings of great
masters.

Many books written by western authors are based on their own views/ own teaching
after following a lama for sometime. Many info are incorrect .

Again i repeat here , learn from the source. Not 2nd hand re-productions garbage.

I think it is important to not hold any prejudice view when practicing. Buddhism is a practice that all can practice, and through cultivation, they all can realize their true intrinsic mind, it doesn't matter if one is western or eastern. I think even books or work by lay Buddhists, western or not, can all be worth reading and be quality work. We all can definitely learn something from it, if not a lot, then little. They might not be our guru or teacher, but they surely can share their experience.

the source are our Buddha nature which all sentient beings inherit, it is beyond race, ethnicity, sex. Because your logic would means the teachings of Chinese Patriarchs would be garbage because it didn't came from the source.
Wherever you are, that is where the mind should be. Always be mindful, and be your own master. This is true freedom. - Grand Master Wei Chueh
Bodhi

Previous

Return to Open Dharma