A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:43 am 

dzogchungpa wrote:
jingshuitemple wrote:
By the way, the “Closure of the Six Realms Special Tantra” is a very important practice...

I wonder if it's related to something called "Purification Of The Six Lokas" that they do in the Dzogchen Community of Namkhai Norbu?

I'm not sure.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:44 am 

reddust wrote:
jingshuitemple wrote:
I like comparing text that has migrated from one culture to another culture. How the second culture struggles through symbolic and language meanings from the first culture and applies the lessons per their culture and understanding. It helps me understand my own struggles to understand lessons wrapped in a culture that is so foreign to mine. Not totally foreign because we are all human beings.
Also this text speaks to my heart.

Interesting. Good point. I find it difficult and challenging to translate from Chinese to English from time to time. I think as our wisdom manifest, we’ll be able to understand each other better.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:49 am 

dzogchungpa wrote:

You seem to be very knowledgeable about finding information about Buddhism online. Would you mind giving me some advice about other good Buddhist websites which would be appropriate for me to post the special Dharma teachings that Lama Fo Fu will offer this winter? Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:12 pm 

jingshuitemple wrote:
Would you mind giving me some advice about other good Buddhist websites which would be appropriate for me to post the special Dharma teachings that Lama Fo Fu will offer this winter?

I don't really know any other places for posting events like yours, but you might want to get your temple listed here: http://bayareabuddhism.blogspot.com/.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:37 am 

dzogchungpa wrote:
jingshuitemple wrote:
Would you mind giving me some advice about other good Buddhist websites which would be appropriate for me to post the special Dharma teachings that Lama Fo Fu will offer this winter?

I don't really know any other places for posting events like yours, but you might want to get your temple listed here: http://bayareabuddhism.blogspot.com/.

Thank YOU very much. It's so resourceful of you! :namaste:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:05 pm 

jingshuitemple wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote:
jingshuitemple wrote:

Thank YOU very much. It's so resourceful of you! :namaste:

Flattery will get you everywhere. :smile:

You might also try using the East Bay Express:
http://www.eastbayexpress.com/oakland/LocationSearch?locationCategory=1108558
http://www.eastbayexpress.com/oakland/EventSearch?eventCategory=1343080
and also perhaps putting an ad in their print version.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:27 am 

Flattery will get you everywhere. :smile:

You might also try using the East Bay Express:
http://www.eastbayexpress.com/oakland/LocationSearch?locationCategory=1108558
http://www.eastbayexpress.com/oakland/EventSearch?eventCategory=1343080
and also perhaps putting an ad in their print version.[/quote]
It's true. Thank YOU very much! :namaste:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:00 am 

I've always been interested in new dharma organizations. How they promote themselves. There are many dharma organisations that either explicitly or implicity promise the things that your organization promises. Please don't take this as criticism but I find that most dharma organizations usually promise the same sorts of things. For example:

1. Following our method will get you the achievements faster than other methods. (same as all Vajrayana?)

From your website: "The meditation that Master Fo Fu teaches is the highest level, and it’s different from the ordinary meditation. It allows you to reach your goal much faster. If you practice properly and regularly, you can realize a higher level of spiritual cultivation, and obtain achievement, leading to enlightenment."

2. Your physical condition will improve. You will get a practical benefit. You will lose weight. Be more attractive. Be younger.

From your website: It will bring you boundless energy and strength, help you to live a more peaceful & happier life.

You’ll feel reborn and much healthier. Most people only absorb 35% of the nutrients from their food intake. After performing the fasting process, they can absorb up to 85%. After fasting several times a year, the body can function as a person five to ten years younger, both physically and mentally. It also helps you to reach higher lever of spiritual consciousness.

3. We are eclectic. We are non-sectarian. You can get everything from us.

From your website: Five schools of Buddhist teachings are available in Jing Shui Temple. There are Tibetan Tantric Buddhism, Zen or Chan School, Pureland School, Teaching school, and the Vinaya School.

4. Some teaching on spiritual energy and Chakras is included. Usually some type of yoga is done. There are levels to proceed through.

From your website: Once you practice the Five Movements well, you can quickly grasp the Dharani (Tuo Lo Ni) essentials (second level). It purifies your body, and facilitates to clear the three channels/meridians and seven chakras quickly. As we age, the functions, channels, energy and blood gradually deteriorate or become blocked. Through practicing the Five Movements, it enables the energy and blood flows well in all channels /meridians, so that we’ll be healthy and become younger psychologically and physiologically.

5. We have a compassionate teacher who doesn't have to teach but does so anyway.

From your website: Ven. Master Fo Fu has decided to teach this exercise to the public out of her great compassion for others. As you practice it properly over time, it will enable you to relieve ailments, help make your wishes become true, help your career and everything move forward more smoothly, bring out your inner wisdom, and keep yourself healthy in your body and mind.

I find this all fascinating. I'm sure your organisation will grow.

"What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range." Sabba Sutta.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:53 am 

Frankly Andrew108, which religion and its organisations don't do a 'marketing' pitch?
At the end of the day, a 'buyer beware' attitude should always be at the forefront of one's mind...

And Dao Hong, I understand from your intro that you're a volunteer in this organisation, since you have done much promotion here on their behalf, even using the organisation's name as the user handle, I am assuming that you have their permission? The context of this is that not all religious organisations allow anyone to do so save for an authorised representative, especially volunteers.

But I must admit that it's rare to meet though not strange to hear of Chinese Mahayana organisations combining some parts from either Tibetan or Japanese forms of Vajrayana practice and teaching, although I am most used to hearing the common disdain if not scoffing of mixing both Sutrayana & Tantrayana methods in certain traditionalist circles...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:57 am 

plwk wrote:
Frankly Andrew108, which religion and its organisations don't do a 'marketing' pitch?

Absolutely. They all do. I thought that it would be interesting to note certain common themes. I mean the Dzogchen Community (of which I am a member) certainly has a few of these same themes running through their literature. Very interesting.

"What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range." Sabba Sutta.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:00 am 

Quote:
According to the Dayuanman guanding(79a), Fahai Lama explains:Ordinary persons become buddhas by being able to let the genuine mind(zhenxin) not move and peacefully rest (anzhu) inside the flesh-heart (routuanxin) without being diverted by the breath-vital energy and without giving rise to any deluded thoughts. As the genuine mind can stay unmoved, the Lamp of originally awakened Wisdom (zhihui guangming), which is originally inside the genuine mind, can become manifest. As a result of this, the realm of the Three Bodies (sanshen zhi jing jie) appears. The application of tuoga [thod rgal] practice according to its precepts (xiuchi)106

I couldn't find the inside of my flesh-heart, I looked and there is nothing there and I couldn't find my genuine mind, I think I lost it. I looked all day, plus all my thoughts are deluded, there is not one pure one there at all. Oh well :namaste:

Back to do dishes and weeding the garden :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:09 am 

Andrew108 wrote:
I've always been interested in new dharma organizations. How they promote themselves. There are many dharma organisations that either explicitly or implicity promise the things that your organization promises. Please don't take this as criticism but I find that most dharma organizations usually promise the same sorts of things. For example:

1. Following our method will get you the achievements faster than other methods. (same as all Vajrayana?)

From your website: "The meditation that Master Fo Fu teaches is the highest level, and it’s different from the ordinary meditation. It allows you to reach your goal much faster. If you practice properly and regularly, you can realize a higher level of spiritual cultivation, and obtain achievement, leading to enlightenment."

2. Your physical condition will improve. You will get a practical benefit. You will lose weight. Be more attractive. Be younger.

From your website: It will bring you boundless energy and strength, help you to live a more peaceful & happier life.

You’ll feel reborn and much healthier. Most people only absorb 35% of the nutrients from their food intake. After performing the fasting process, they can absorb up to 85%. After fasting several times a year, the body can function as a person five to ten years younger, both physically and mentally. It also helps you to reach higher lever of spiritual consciousness.

3. We are eclectic. We are non-sectarian. You can get everything from us.

From your website: Five schools of Buddhist teachings are available in Jing Shui Temple. There are Tibetan Tantric Buddhism, Zen or Chan School, Pureland School, Teaching school, and the Vinaya School.

4. Some teaching on spiritual energy and Chakras is included. Usually some type of yoga is done. There are levels to proceed through.

From your website: Once you practice the Five Movements well, you can quickly grasp the Dharani (Tuo Lo Ni) essentials (second level). It purifies your body, and facilitates to clear the three channels/meridians and seven chakras quickly. As we age, the functions, channels, energy and blood gradually deteriorate or become blocked. Through practicing the Five Movements, it enables the energy and blood flows well in all channels /meridians, so that we’ll be healthy and become younger psychologically and physiologically.

5. We have a compassionate teacher who doesn't have to teach but does so anyway.

From your website: Ven. Master Fo Fu has decided to teach this exercise to the public out of her great compassion for others. As you practice it properly over time, it will enable you to relieve ailments, help make your wishes become true, help your career and everything move forward more smoothly, bring out your inner wisdom, and keep yourself healthy in your body and mind.

I find this all fascinating. I'm sure your organisation will grow.

Thank you for your feedback.
“The Buddha (Shakyamuni) set forth 84,000 Dharma-doors, and every door is a path to accomplishing Buddhahood.” That’s why all Dharma organizations can say what they teach are good. It is correct that they all say they’re good. Buddha teaches living beings according to the root (根基). Everyone has a different root. Each Dharma Door is the best to enable the people to have confidence. The speed or the time needed to accomplish Buddhahood is different. We just need to know how to choose the one method that is most suitable for us and our level.
It is true that all wishes become true as long as we TRULY cultivate/practice Buddhism. We must have full confidence in Buddha and Dharma. “Wherever the Buddha's teachings have flourished, people will gain inconceivable benefits.”
There are many different kinds and levels of meditation.
Circular Swing (or swing in the ocean), five movement and Tuo Luo Ni are the key parts of Tibetan Tantra Jin-Gang Gong. It is special practice for Tantra practitioners physically and psychologically. TUO-Lo-Li will transfer the energy from universe to nourish human body. It is ideal in maintaining people’s health and preventing from illness.

In Tibetan Buddhism, it is critical to learn from a qualified lineage holder. Lama Fo Fu carries amazing lineage. She’s been tirelessly teaching because of the sincere requests from her disciples.
I personally have been benefiting from Lama Fo Fu’s teaching tremendously. I’m very grateful for her teaching. That’s why I wanted to share with others so that many more people can benefit from her teaching.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:48 am 

plwk wrote:
And Dao Hong, I understand from your intro that you're a volunteer in this organisation, since you have done much promotion here on their behalf, even using the organisation's name as the user handle, I am assuming that you have their permission? The context of this is that not all religious organisations allow anyone to do so save for an authorised representative, especially volunteers.

But I must admit that it's rare to meet though not strange to hear of Chinese Mahayana organisations combining some parts from either Tibetan or Japanese forms of Vajrayana practice and teaching, although I am most used to hearing the common disdain if not scoffing of mixing both Sutrayana & Tantrayana methods in certain traditionalist circles...

Thank you for your feedback. My intention was to post Dharma events for Jing Shui Temple when I created the account in Dharma Wheel. That’s why I used jingshuitemple as user name. I didn’t plan to use it for anything personal. I didn’t expect that I’d post replies. I just changed the username.

Master Fo Fu is knowledgeable in the five schools of Buddhism. She teaches people according to their roots. For example, if it’s suitable for a person to learn the Pureland method, she’d teach him/her the Pureland method; if a person is appropriate to learn Tibetan Buddhism, she’d teach him/her Tibetan Buddhism, and so on.

Here is a link to the fabulous article regarding Fahai Lama for your reference: http://www.daozangjiyao.org/DZJY_J/Espo ... na.pdf.old
Master Fo Fu studied from Fahai Lama for many years.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:03 am 

reddust wrote:
Quote:
According to the Dayuanman guanding(79a), Fahai Lama explains:Ordinary persons become buddhas by being able to let the genuine mind(zhenxin) not move and peacefully rest (anzhu) inside the flesh-heart (routuanxin) without being diverted by the breath-vital energy and without giving rise to any deluded thoughts. As the genuine mind can stay unmoved, the Lamp of originally awakened Wisdom (zhihui guangming), which is originally inside the genuine mind, can become manifest. As a result of this, the realm of the Three Bodies (sanshen zhi jing jie) appears. The application of tuoga [thod rgal] practice according to its precepts (xiuchi)106

I couldn't find the inside of my flesh-heart, I looked and there is nothing there and I couldn't find my genuine mind, I think I lost it. I looked all day, plus all my thoughts are deluded, there is not one pure one there at all. Oh well :namaste:

Back to do dishes and weeding the garden :oops:

“the Lamp of originally awakened Widsom” cannot be found when you try to find it. It may take a very long time of cultivation. I believe you’ll see it someday. No worry, step by step.
It’s good that you noticed your thoughts are deluded, it means that your heart was settled down. It’s the first step moving towards success.
“With one degree of pure mind, we attain one degree of wisdom. With two degrees of pure mind, we attain two degrees of wisdom, etc. Therefore, practicing accordingly and maintaining and protecting the pure mind, which gives rise to true wisdom, is exceptionally important.”

“Back to dishes and weeding the garden” is cultivating the Bodhisattva Way too. Doing the same chores with a giving, non-attaching heart is practicing the principle of giving.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:42 am 

Thank you for your kind replies.
Quote:
Master Fo Fu is knowledgeable in the five schools of Buddhism. She teaches people according to their roots. For example, if it’s suitable for a person to learn the Pureland method, she’d teach him/her the Pureland method; if a person is appropriate to learn Tibetan Buddhism, she’d teach him/her Tibetan Buddhism, and so on.
If I may indulge you in further conversations...
a. So far as I have read, both in your raised threads and the main site of the organisation, there isn't much on the origins of Ven. Master Fo Fu other than glowing accolades in her honour. For instance, when the title of 'Venerable Master' is used, what context is this? Like that which is used in the Chinese Buddhist Tradition with reference to ordained monastics or is it something else? If she is an ordained monastic, has she provided the usual details of her ordination process like lineage, place & date of ordination, her preceptors, stuff like that? Would you happen to know?

b. And assuming she is a monastic, and now teaching Tibetan Buddhist methods from Nyingma & Kagyu as described, as part of her wide portfolio, what is her stand on stuff like karma mudra or 'action seal', does she promote such stuff or practice it herself? Would you happen to know?

c. And when the phrase Venerable Vajra Master Fo Fu is a very high level Buddhist Master is used on the main site, could you furnish us with some examples on who has recognised and given her such a peer review? Would you happen to know?
Quote:
Here is a link to the fabulous article regarding Fahai Lama for your reference: http://www.daozangjiyao.org/DZJY_J/Espo ... na.pdf.old
Master Fo Fu studied from Fahai Lama for many years.
Thank you. I am reading it halfway since the other poster has provided the link.

Post subject: Re: Who is Master Fo Fu?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:34 pm 
Former staff member

Moderator note:- Topic split from here viewtopic.php?f=83&t=15996

Post subject: Re: Who is Master Fo Fu?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:52 pm 

Apparently there was an article about her in the German magazine "Taijiquan & Qigong Journal":
http://www.tqj.de/TQJ-Web-alt/English/01-2/eglueck.html

Does anyone have access to that?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:31 am 

plwk wrote:
Thank you for your kind replies.
Quote:
If I may indulge you in further conversations...
a. So far as I have read, both in your raised threads and the main site of the organisation, there isn't much on the origins of Ven. Master Fo Fu other than glowing accolades in her honour. For instance, when the title of 'Venerable Master' is used, what context is this? Like that which is used in the Chinese Buddhist Tradition with reference to ordained monastics or is it something else? If she is an ordained monastic, has she provided the usual details of her ordination process like lineage, place & date of ordination, her preceptors, stuff like that? Would you happen to know?

b. And assuming she is a monastic, and now teaching Tibetan Buddhist methods from Nyingma & Kagyu as described, as part of her wide portfolio, what is her stand on stuff like karma mudra or 'action seal', does she promote such stuff or practice it herself? Would you happen to know?

c. And when the phrase Venerable Vajra Master Fo Fu is a very high level Buddhist Master is used on the main site, could you furnish us with some examples on who has recognised and given her such a peer review? Would you happen to know?

You raised good questions. It is critical for us to learn from a really wonderful venerable Buddhist master, who is also a true practitioner and teaches proper Dharma. I’m only a volunteer. The time that I meet with Lama Fo Fu is limited. My knowledge and practice in Buddhism is at the beginning stage. I know some of the answers to your questions, but I’m not sure how to respond on some of them. I do not want to say anything that might be inaccurate or incomplete.

If you’re interested, you’re welcome to visit Jing Shui Temple. You can ask the Buddhist master at Jing Shui Temple, who is an ordained monastic, who will be more than happy to answer your questions in more detail.

In addition, there are many Dharma events taking place at Jing Shui Temple. If you’re interested, you’re welcome to come to try out any of our events. This will allow you to see and feel the difference for yourself.

Here is the address of Jing Shui Temple: 47810 Warm Springs Blvd, Fremont CA 94539

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:40 am 
Former staff member

reddust wrote:
I couldn't find the inside of my flesh-heart, I looked and there is nothing there and I couldn't find my genuine mind, I think I lost it. I looked all day,...

We can understand the difficulties in understanding what is in effect specialized Chinese Buddhist language and terminology. Even coming from a Japanese Buddhist background or stepped in Tibetan Buddhism it can appear odd (even coming at it from Chinese Taoist teaching it can be difficult to understand).

Quote:
plus all my thoughts are deluded, there is not one pure one there at all. Oh well :namaste: Back to do dishes and weeding the garden :oops:

ALL your thoughts are deluded? There is not one thought ever of helping others, loving even one other person or an animal, etc? How do you react when a child or a kitten or a puppy are in danger? I'm pretty certain that not all your thoughts are deluded else you wouldn't be here or on any Dharma site.

Kirt

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche