Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:14 pm 

So, in the last 6 months to a year, I've completely overhauled my personal relationship to the dharma and developed a really deep practice. Between deep philosophical study, meditation, and volunteer work (for a buddhist scholar) I spend at least 4 dedicated hours on it every single day. In addition, I try to chant mantras (Vajrasattva and Medicine Buddha) while I walk or perform menial tasks, and I practice dream yoga (as best I can) at night.

During this time, I've been sick way more than I have ever been before. These are not life-threatening illnesses, but intense colds and flus (including a flu that lasted 22 days and didn't respond to anything.) When negative stuff like this happens, I like to keep the perspective that, at the very least, it's good because I'm burning off negative karma.

What I'm wondering is, can intensifying your practice and commitment (and in turn, deepening your wisdom) cause negative karmas to ripen faster? It almost feels as if negative karmas are just forcing themselves out into my life in benign ways instead of lingering to fester into bigger negative effects in the long run.

Insights?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:21 pm 

Basically, yes.

Specifically Vajrasattva practice can ripen negative karma prematurely. The idea here is that as a karmic "seed" ripens, it grows in intensity. So if you purify some negative karma in its immature form it is a fraction of the intensity it otherwise would be. So a bad cold or flu may be the karmic ripening of what would otherwise have been a serious disease. Or a financial setback would have otherwise been a bankruptcy, etc.

However as with all things in Vajrayana practice, it is best to have a teacher authorized by a lineage so that one can ask this type of question from someone that can actually answer it properly.