Hua Hu Jing

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Re: Hua Hu Jing

Postby Simon E. » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:02 am

LastLegend wrote:
Simon E. wrote:
Lindama wrote:ignorance

Does it ever occur to anyone else that to frequent a clearly marked Buddhist forum with some kind of Universalist agenda might just be bad manners ?

Yes, but you are the only one who is complaining.

Actually I think you will find that I am not the only one.
Simon E.

Postby LastLegend » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:03 am

Have it your way dude. It's healthy to do so once in awhile. :smile:
You can request it to be moved to Lounge. Problemo (Spanish for problem) solved.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)
LastLegend

Postby Simon E. » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:08 am

Dude ?
Clearly we have no mutual means of communication. I will bear that in mind in future.
Simon E.

Postby muni » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:19 am

Simon E. wrote:

Does it ever occur to anyone else that to frequent a clearly marked Buddhist forum with some kind of Universalist agenda might just be bad manners ?

All is possible since it is our own mind which creates its world.
muni

Postby LastLegend » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:22 am

Simon E. wrote:Dude ?
Clearly we have no mutual means of communication. I will bear that in mind in future.

Tao is beyond words. :lol:
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)
LastLegend

Postby Simon E. » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:37 am

muni wrote:
Simon E. wrote:

That's not dharma. That's solipsism.
Simon E.

Postby muni » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:44 am

Simon E. wrote:
muni wrote:

That's not dharma. That's solipsism.

With mind is meant thoughts. Little m.
muni

Postby Simon E. » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:51 am

An idea which clearly appeals to you. But an idea which does not address the subtleties of Dharma. But which is a common way to close down debate that one is uncomfortable with.
Simon E.

Postby muni » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:26 pm

It helps to follow the buddha’s advice; examine for oneself what is useful and let go what is not.
In some we can definitely use our elaboration and analysis, for some guidances is adding more of no help.
It is good to remain aware not all beings are helped by the same medicine.
muni

Postby Simon E. » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:47 pm

It is good to remember that Dharma needs no adds on. It is complete. And that this web forum states plainly in its header that it is a forum for the discussion of the Mahayana and Vajrayana.

There is a plethora of sites for the discussion of syncretisism.
Simon E.

Postby oushi » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:56 pm

Simon E. wrote:It is good to remember that Dharma needs no adds on. It is complete. And that this web forum states plainly in its header that it is a forum for the discussion of the Mahayana and Vajrayana.

Maybe you should use "Report this post" button, so it is moved to lounge, instead of provoking another flame war. Seriously, get a life.
oushi

Postby Simon E. » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:17 pm

oushi wrote:
Simon E. wrote:It is good to remember that Dharma needs no adds on. It is complete. And that this web forum states plainly in its header that it is a forum for the discussion of the Mahayana and Vajrayana.

Maybe you should use "Report this post" button, so it is moved to lounge, instead of provoking another flame war. Seriously, get a life.

Thus speaks our resident dweller in non duality. :lol:
Simon E.

Postby Simon E. » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:21 pm

Huifeng wrote:Classic Daojia apocrypha as an entire ripoff of Buddhist sutra, 't will may you laugh, cringe and cry (though maybe not in that order). Even the Daojia people had to agree that they were entirely over the top on this one.

~~ Huifeng

Bump
Simon E.

Postby tobes » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:15 am

I never understand the drive to demarcate a pure sphere of Buddhism, separate and distinct from its historical and discursive context.

Such thing is so clearly a romanticist construction, as many good scholars have pointed out. It has never existed in reality, and it never will. So why demand it, on an internet forum of all places?

Thinking you can deal with Mahayana Buddhism in China/East Asia without any recourse to other Chinese traditions is naive and ridiculous.

:anjali:
tobes

Postby Simon E. » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:23 am

Tobes, i am perfectly content to be thought of as naive and ridiculous . I do not think that dharma has much to do with cerebration.
Simon E.

Postby Simon E. » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:25 am

Huifeng wrote:Classic Daojia apocrypha as an entire ripoff of Buddhist sutra, 't will may you laugh, cringe and cry (though maybe not in that order). Even the Daojia people had to agree that they were entirely over the top on this one.

~~ Huifeng

Bump.
Simon E.

Postby tobes » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:35 am

Simon E. wrote:

~~ Huifeng

Bump.

You should reflect on the point you keep bumping.

A scholar of Buddhism tells us that the Daojia texts were strongly influenced by Buddhism. This in itself makes it a point worthy of reflection on a Mahayana Buddhist forum. But the more relevant point for your critique is that such a context of influence might not be all one way traffic. When Buddhism arrived in China it intersected with Confucian and Taoist culture, discourse, practice. I don't think we can talk coherently about Chinese Mahayana without reference to those intersections. There is (mutual) influence, (mutual) antagonism, continuity and discontinuity.

How are these irrelevant or unacceptable to our East Asian practitioners?

:anjali:
tobes

Postby Simon E. » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:57 am

My critique ? :D
Despite your best efforts to imbue me with the means and ends of academe i am afraid that I remain both ignorant of and unconvinced by its allure in the resolutely ( or so it seems to me ) pragmatic and experiential sphere of dharma practice.
My critique of Taoism is that it not Buddhidharma...I have no interest in its history or in the evolution of its ideas.
The actualisation of one spiritual path is more than a challenge to me.
I am a simple soul.
Simon E.

Postby Huifeng » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:09 am

Somebody bumped?

~~ Huifeng
Huifeng

Postby Simon E. » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:18 am

:D
Simon E.

PreviousNext