Sexism in Buddhism

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Re: Sexism in Buddhism

Postby Sherab Dorje » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:50 am

rory wrote:Really I gave explicit examples of the subtle sexism, but no male has said "you know I'll print out a statue of great Buddha Mahaprajapati to encourage women.And write under it 'THIS is what a Buddha looks like'." Because why bother? or why not draw a new image of Vairochana as a woman? Because people here are hidebound. And why not support my dream of an all woman temple, it just may have great results, and maybe new ways of doing things. But who needs new things in the dharma when there is tradition....oh the irony.
Dharmakaya Buddhas are sexless. All you are trying to do is use reverse sexism. Pointless, really. One type of dualism for another. Useless. One type of discrimination for another. Meaningless.
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby Jikan » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:33 pm

rory wrote:Really I gave explicit examples of the subtle sexism, but no male has said "you know I'll print out a statue of great Buddha Mahaprajapati to encourage women.And write under it 'THIS is what a Buddha looks like'." Because why bother? or why not draw a new image of Vairochana as a woman? Because people here are hidebound.

Since I'm one of the male posters you're calling out here, I'll point out that your claim does not correspond to reality. Specifically: several years ago, I enshrined an image of Benzaiten on our main butsudan at our little Tendai practice group. Why? Because I wanted to show our members that this is what bodhisattva activity can look like. If you want to call that hidebound, by all means do so--I don't want to disturb the pleasure one can get in self-righteous anger--but don't pretend your understanding of the world you inhabit actually represents the world others experience.

And why not support my dream of an all woman temple, it just may have great results, and maybe new ways of doing things. But who needs new things in the dharma when there is tradition....oh the irony.

I don't see many in this thread arguing against trying new things, growing, or developing into new ways of doing things. Quite the contrary. The irony, if there is any, lies in your inability to see that many if not most of the posters in this thread actually agree with you more often than they disagree.

And for the record, I came out in support of your idea of a single-gender temple for those who may find such a temple useful or helpful.
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby dzogchungpa » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:24 pm

Sherab Dorje wrote:Dharmakaya Buddhas are sexless.

These two don't seem particularly sexless:

Sherab Dorje wrote:All you are trying to do is use reverse sexism. Pointless, really. One type of dualism for another. Useless. One type of discrimination for another. Meaningless.

You fail to comprehend rory's truly marvelous upaya.
ཨོཾ་མ་ཧཱ་ཤུནྱ་ཏཱ་ཛྙཱ་ན་བཛྲ་སྭཱ་བྷཱ་བ་ཨཱཏྨ་ཀོ་྅ཧཾ༔

The thousands of lines of the Prajnaparamita can be summed up in the following two sentences:
1) One should become a Bodhisattva (or, Buddha-to-be), i.e. one who is content with nothing less than all-knowledge attained through the perfection of wisdom for the sake of all beings.
2) There is no such thing as a Bodhisattva, or as all-knowledge, or as a ‘being’, or as the perfection of wisdom, or as an attainment.
To accept both these contradictory facts is to be perfect.
- Conze
dzogchungpa

Postby Lindama » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:52 pm

LastLegend wrote:
Sherab Dorje wrote:Last I heard, he was a bit of a legend!

Then there is a practitioner.

I heard he was the last one :twothumbsup:
Lindama

Postby Sherab Dorje » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:05 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:These two don't seem particularly sexless:
To our dualising minds, no, they don't seem sexless.
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby LastLegend » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:23 pm

Lindama wrote:
LastLegend wrote:
Sherab Dorje wrote:Last I heard, he was a bit of a legend!

Then there is a practitioner.

I heard he was the last one :twothumbsup:

Lindama and reddust, you girls are awesome. :heart:
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)
LastLegend

Postby dzogchungpa » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:29 pm

Sherab Dorje wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote:These two don't seem particularly sexless:

Damn you, dualising mind!
ཨོཾ་མ་ཧཱ་ཤུནྱ་ཏཱ་ཛྙཱ་ན་བཛྲ་སྭཱ་བྷཱ་བ་ཨཱཏྨ་ཀོ་྅ཧཾ༔

The thousands of lines of the Prajnaparamita can be summed up in the following two sentences:
1) One should become a Bodhisattva (or, Buddha-to-be), i.e. one who is content with nothing less than all-knowledge attained through the perfection of wisdom for the sake of all beings.
2) There is no such thing as a Bodhisattva, or as all-knowledge, or as a ‘being’, or as the perfection of wisdom, or as an attainment.
To accept both these contradictory facts is to be perfect.
- Conze
dzogchungpa

Postby Lindama » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:44 pm

thank the goddess for that
Lindama

Postby kirtu » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:53 pm

Minjeay wrote:
Indrajala wrote:Actually, again to draw parallels with Theravada, western bhikkhus are often highly regarded in Asia and generous devotion is expressed towards them. The western masters of Pali and meditation alike get equal status.

Actually, as I mentioned before, my body is female. How many Theravadins would bow down before me?

Why do you want people to bow down before you?

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

“All beings are Buddhas, but obscured by incidental stains. When those have been removed, there is Buddhahood.”
Hevajra Tantra
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby kirtu » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:00 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:
Sherab Dorje wrote:Dharmakaya Buddhas are sexless.

These two don't seem particularly sexless:

The image isn't. But the reality is beyond dualism and sex. The image expresses the intimate union of wisdom and method, wisdom and compassion, bliss, etc. beyond words, etc. in an initially unconventional (and shocking) way.

Kirt

“All beings are Buddhas, but obscured by incidental stains. When those have been removed, there is Buddhahood.”
Hevajra Tantra
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby kirtu » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:17 pm

Here are a few images of female Buddhas/10th Bhumi Bodhisattvas in Tibetan Buddhism. Some are found also in other forms of Buddhism:

21Taras.jpg
21 Taras
21Taras.jpg (48.46 KiB) Viewed 162 times

WhiteTara.jpg
White Tara
WhiteTara.jpg (84.85 KiB) Viewed 162 times

WhiteSaraswati.jpg
White Saraswati
WhiteSaraswati.jpg (19.88 KiB) Viewed 167 times

Hevajra Tantra
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby Lindama » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:23 pm

Red Tara
Red Tara.jpg
Red Tara.jpg (49.88 KiB) Viewed 162 times
Lindama

Postby kirtu » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:25 pm

Prajnaparamita.jpg
Prajnaparamita, the Mother of Buddhas
Prajnaparamita.jpg (12.79 KiB) Viewed 163 times

RedTara.jpg
Red Tara
RedTara.jpg (14.17 KiB) Viewed 165 times

And of course there are other female Buddhas who can't generally be shown outside of an empowerment in Tibetan Buddhism.

Kirt

Hevajra Tantra
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby kirtu » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:31 pm

Here are three iconic female guru's to whom Nyingmapas and Shangpa Kagyupas at a minimum bow down:

YesheTosgyal.jpg
Yeshe Tsogyal
YesheTosgyal.jpg (104.47 KiB) Viewed 165 times

Mandarawa.jpg
Mandarawa
Mandarawa.jpg (13.72 KiB) Viewed 168 times

Niguma.jpg
Niguma
Niguma.jpg (10 KiB) Viewed 164 times

Niguma is one of two main female gurus of the founder of the Shangpa Kagyu lineage. She is said to be the wife or consort or sister of Naropa.
Last edited by kirtu on Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hevajra Tantra
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby Lindama » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:32 pm

:namaste:

OM MA TRI MU YE SA LE DU
Lindama

Postby Malcolm » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:33 pm

kirtu wrote:Here are a few images of female Buddhas/10th Bhumi Bodhisattvas in Tibetan Buddhism. Some are found also in other forms of Buddhism:

Please note however that all these images correspond to patriarchal (Brahmanical in this case) social expectations around female beauty.
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

" The one who teaches the benefits of peace,
he is said to be a ṛṣī; the others are the opposite of him."

-- Uttaratantra
Malcolm

Postby Lindama » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:34 pm

Who is Niguma?
Lindama

Postby kirtu » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:36 pm

The founder of the Chod lineage, the only major teaching to originate in Tibet and imported to India:
MachigLabdron.jpg
Machig Labdron
MachigLabdron.jpg (9.11 KiB) Viewed 158 times

Hevajra Tantra
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby kirtu » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:45 pm

Malcolm wrote:
kirtu wrote:Here are a few images of female Buddhas/10th Bhumi Bodhisattvas in Tibetan Buddhism. Some are found also in other forms of Buddhism:

Please note however that all these images correspond to patriarchal (Brahmanical in this case) social expectations around female beauty.

The Tara's are of course. However I have a tale for you: one day Naropa was sitting outside the gate at his monastic university reading a parjnaparamita text. An aged hag come up and asked, do you understand what you are reading? Naropa answered, yes, I understand the words. The hag danced for joy. Then Naropa said "I also understand the meaning." Whereupon the hag wept bitterly.....

Kirt

Hevajra Tantra
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby Lindama » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:02 pm

There's a story in zen about an old lady in a tea house... I believe she hit him!
Lindama

PreviousNext

Return to Open Dharma