Sexism in Buddhism

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Re: Is the tulku system too exclusive?

Postby theanarchist » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:00 pm

JKhedrup wrote:This kind of talk is merely sectarian posturing as you said yourself you walked in and walked right out- so you have no deep or meaningful experience of the tradition. You assertion about TB males made me laugh because it shows huge and incorrect assumptions on your part- 70% of those who attend centres of the Tibetan tradition are female. .

So are Christian church goers.

I feel as long as the teacher isn't sexist everything is quite okay. There are so many "-isms" out there that you won't be able to live in peace if you get all worked up about them. So there are sexist buddhists out there - so what! Do you honestly expect that in a sexist society a spiritual institution will be free of it?

As long as we can do our thing the stubborn isms of other (male) people shouldn't be our concern. Fortunately we no longer live in times where women were forced into an existance as mother and wife with a man chosen by our parents and avoiding sexual harrassment is possible too, so why bother with what certain men think or sexism in in the end completely irrelevant religious institutions.
Last edited by theanarchist on Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theanarchist

Re: Is the tulku system too exclusive?

Postby dude » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:11 pm

theanarchist wrote:
JKhedrup wrote:This kind of talk is merely sectarian posturing as you said yourself you walked in and walked right out- so you have no deep or meaningful experience of the tradition. You assertion about TB males made me laugh because it shows huge and incorrect assumptions on your part- 70% of those who attend centres of the Tibetan tradition are female. .

So are Christian church goers.

I feel as long as the teacher isn't sexist everything is quite okay. There are so many "-isms" out there that you won't be able to live in peace if you get all worked up about them. So there are sexist buddhists out there - so what! Do you honestly expect that in a sexist society a spiritual institution will be free of it?

I do.
Sexism is a cultural anachronism and must be discarded for Buddhism to take root in the modern age.
dude

Re: Sexism in Buddhism

Postby theanarchist » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:25 pm

Indeed, sexism is anachronistic in a democratic society that is based on equality. And it's neccessary to do everything possible change the view of women in our societies.

But unless this is archieved living in a constant state of outrage about it is firstly useless as it doesn't change anything and secondly sexism is a samsaric concept anyway. I mean, there are so many stupid concepts out there in the world, as long as samsara exist there WILL be such samsaric concepts and things like sexism, racism, fundamentalism etc will flourish. If you lose your peace of mind over that fact that samsara does as samsara does then you will not get anywhere. You will just be stuck in your precious, samsaric aversion against some samsaric nonsense. It's a waste of time.

Once you realize emptiness you will stop taking samsara's stupidity personally. :thumbsup:
theanarchist

Postby dude » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:30 pm

theanarchist wrote:Indeed, sexism is anachronistic in a democratic society that is based on equality. And it's neccessary to do everything possible change the view of women in our societies.

But unless this is archieved living in a constant state of outrage about it is firstly useless as it doesn't change anything and secondly sexism is a samsaric concept anyway. I mean, there are so many stupid concepts out there in the world, as long as samsara exist there WILL be such samsaric concepts and things like sexism, racism, fundamentalism etc will flourish. If you lose your peace of mind over that fact that samsara does as samsara does then you will not get anywhere. You will just be stuck in your precious, samsaric aversion against some samsaric nonsense. It's a waste of time.

Once you realize emptiness you will stop taking samsara's stupidity personally. :thumbsup:

That is absurd, and contradicts everything the Buddha taught.
dude

Postby theanarchist » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:47 pm

What is absurd?

When you have a realization of emptiness then there is no ego clinging that the sexism around you can trigger. So as soon as you have a realization of emptiness you might be outraged about the treatment other women will suffer through sexism in your bodhisattva acitivity, but you personally will no longer feel harrassed or harmed by it. You will be able to live in peace even with sexists around you because the peace will be in you, you will no longer rely on any kind of outer circumstances for your well being.

That's the whole purpose of dharma.
theanarchist

Postby dude » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:56 pm

The Buddha didn't tell people to ignore injustices such as the caste system and groove on emptiness.
We practice here and now, amid the realities of daily life.
To claim that correct practice is some kind of nirvanic emptiness which ignores samsaric existence, that's what's absurd.
dude

Postby Punya » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:09 am

theanarchist wrote:Indeed, sexism is anachronistic in a democratic society that is based on equality. And it's neccessary to do everything possible change the view of women in our societies.

:good:
Unless the inner forces of negative emotions are conquered
Strife with outer enemies will never end.
~Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
Punya

Postby theanarchist » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:57 am

dude wrote:The Buddha didn't tell people to ignore injustices such as the caste system and groove on emptiness.

Oh, I am sure that once you realize emptiness your perceptions about what is going on and where people suffer from some injustice or another is a lot more acute and thanks to your bodhisattva vow it will be a pleasure for you to help other beings to a better worldly life while residing in that state of emptiness.

You can groove in emptiness and be useful for society simultaneously. If you groove in some state and ignore the suffering of beings that state is certainly not emptiness.
theanarchist

Postby IdleChater » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:27 am

conebeckham wrote:The book on Niguma is wonderful. As is anything written or translated by Sarah Harding, in my opinion. She's one of the Bright Lights of Western practitioner/translators.....Check out "Creation and Completion" by Kongtrul, translated by her, if you haven't. Essential Vajrayana stuff.

+1!!!!

Sarah is awesome - great translator, great teacher, great lady.

As far as sexism goes, I'm sure it exists but would question how prevalent it is.

Close to half the Acharyas on the Shambhala mandala are women.

In the Nalandabodhi organization there are a lot of women in positions of administration and teaching.

Vajara Vidya in Crestone is pretty much run day-to-day by Ani Seltong.

Joan Halifax at the Upaya Center in Santa Fe.

Lama Tsultrim Allione at Tara Mandala in Pagosa Springs is highly thought of, both as a teacher and a feminist.

So is Lama Palden Drolma in CA.

Sure there are still patriarchal hierarchies and antiquated ideas about gender roles, but we see that in all walks of life. Things have changed a lot in my 60 years. They'll continue to change.
IdleChater

Previous

Return to Open Dharma