Opinion on Sheng Yen Lu of True Buddha School?

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Opinion on Sheng Yen Lu of True Buddha School?

Postby Mahadragon » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:24 pm

Has anyone here heard of Sheng Yen Lu from the True Buddha School? He has written many books. Anyone here a disciple? Is this a good school to learn Dhamma?

Mahadragon

Re: Opinion on Sheng Yen Lu of True Buddha School?

Postby Nighthawk » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:26 pm

Pretty sure it's a cult.
Nighthawk

Postby Will » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:35 pm

Not a good school to learn Dhamma.
Revealing one essence: this means the inherently pure, complete, luminous essence, which is pure of its own nature. -- Fa-tsang
Will

Postby Mahadragon » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:13 pm

Will wrote:Not a good school to learn Dhamma.

Nighthawk wrote:Pretty sure it's a cult.

Really? Why? Did he say something bad?
Mahadragon

Postby Alfredo » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:36 pm

Nice hat!

This guy claims to be a fully-enlightened Buddha, an emanation of Vairocana. His adoption of Tibetan flourishes has been done without much actual input or recognition from Tibetans. Wikipedia (which is not as informative as it might be) notes (unproven) charges of sexual abuse, made by an ex-member in the USA. Here's an article with concrete, neutral details about the sect: http://taiwanpedia.culture.tw/en/content?ID=1830
Alfredo

Postby Qing Tian » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:12 am

Nice hat!

That was exactly what I was going to say... so +1 for a nice hat! :twothumbsup:
“Not till your thoughts cease all their branching here and there, not till you abandon all thoughts of seeking for something, not till your mind is motionless as wood or stone, will you be on the right road to the Gate.”
Qing Tian

Postby Alfredo » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:30 am

I wonder if he designed it himself, as he has so much of his theology?

And the rest of his get-up is pretty spiffy as well. You know what it reminds me of?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Manhu ... ulkirk.jpg

+

http://marvel.com/universe/Ancient_One_(sorcerer)
Alfredo

Postby Mahadragon » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:32 pm

Alfredo wrote:Nice hat!

This guy claims to be a fully-enlightened Buddha, an emanation of Vairocana. His adoption of Tibetan flourishes has been done without much actual input or recognition from Tibetans. Wikipedia (which is not as informative as it might be) notes (unproven) charges of sexual abuse, made by an ex-member in the USA. Here's an article with concrete, neutral details about the sect: http://taiwanpedia.culture.tw/en/content?ID=1830

Where does it say he's an emanation of Vairocana? He's supposed to be an emanation of Padmakumara. One of his masters was Guru Thubten Daerje. I have seen the liturgy followed by traditional Tibetan Buddhists. Starts with invocation, visualization of buddha, dharma, sangha (with prostrations). Offerings to the triple jewels, visualization of the merging with one's personal deity, with use of mantra and mudras. The liturgy advocated by Sheng Yen Lu in the True Buddha School only differs slightly in pronunciation of the mantras, with slightly different formations of mudras and a half prostration instead of full prostration. In short, it's the same practice, with some minor changes here and there. They also employ the same tantric implements Tibetan Buddhists do, with use of vajra bell, vajra staff, horns, drums, bells, and other.

If anyone has a copy of traditional Tibetan liturgy from Yellow Hat Sect to share, you can put it next to the True Buddha School liturgy and compare it for yourself. You can view/download the True Buddha School liturgy for yourself, just Google it. It starts with invocation of Buddhas, visualization of purification of body, speech and mind, offerings to the triple jewels, dharma protection, chanting of High King Sutra, visualization of personal deity and merging into one, then silent meditation with breathing exercises, lastly, supplication. The Tibetan Buddhist daily practice does not differ drastically from this.

Mahadragon

Postby Alfredo » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:30 am

I'm afraid I was going by what was said in Wikipedia:

Lu claims to be a fully enlightened buddha [...] who himself proclaims to be an emanated being from the Pure Lands shed directly from Vairocana Buddha [...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_Buddha_School

Perhaps this is mistaken, or perhaps I misread it. In any case, I am thankful for the correction. It occurs to me that I am a hypocrite for on one hand, opposing the traditional Tibetan assumption that practices ought to be transmitted through lineages (to me, this is like what those Dead Sea Scrolls scholars did a few years ago--keeping the texts secret in order to monopolize them), but on the other hand, poking fun at people like Lu who actually do what I have been calling for. But of course Lu does make some sort of tedentious spiritual claim--he's the emanation of something--which is supposed to set him above the rabble who donate to him.
Alfredo

Postby sukhamanveti » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:43 am

Mahadragon wrote:Has anyone here heard of Sheng Yen Lu from the True Buddha School? He has written many books. Anyone here a disciple? Is this a good school to learn Dhamma?

Śrāvakayāna, Mahāyāna, and Vajrayāna all advise us to examine a potential teacher closely (and each provides lists of criteria with which to do so). This is particularly important, I think, when the teacher is controversial, when he or she is criticized by Buddhist organizations, and when allegations have been made. If I were considering this teacher or school, one of the things I would try to determine is whether he really gave a lecture in which he said some shocking things about killing and the "stubborn" person. (Perhaps this is same as the lecture discussing killing that is available on youtube?) There is considerable information available online from a variety of sources, including news sources and the man himself, with which to evaluate this teacher. I think that the wisest course would be to find out all that you can before embracing this teacher and his school. A little caution can potentially save one a great deal of misery.
namo bhagavate śākyamunaye tathāgatāyārhate samyaksaṁbuddhāya | namaḥ sarvabuddhabodhisattvebhyaḥ ||

"Bodhisattva-mahāsattvas love all beings in the world equally, as if each were their only child..." Buddhāvataṃsakamahāvaipulya Sūtra
sukhamanveti

Postby Alfredo » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:04 am

Since we are discussing allegations, here is the testimony of a women who claims to have been seduced by Lu, on the pretext of receiving a "twin-body blessing" that would save her from impending death:

http://downthecrookedpath-meditation-gu ... -true.html
Alfredo

Postby smcj » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:31 am

The Wiki article says it was founded in the late 1980s.

All you guys that think lineage is a bunch of hokum, here's your chance!

Here's another one. Seems like when these guys had their hats made, they decided to make them fit properly. But this guy still holds his hand to his up to copy the Karmapa's pose!

(scroll down the page for pics)
http://darirulaishrine.wordpress.com

Edit: Ok, my guilty conscience is kicking in. I hereby include the normal disclaimer that I don't have any way of actually knowing if either guy or tradition has any validity, and I shouldn't be making judgements, especially publicly. It was the first thing my teacher made issue of with me 35 years ago, and I'm still doing it. On another thread somebody asked me why I didn't think I'd gain realization in this lifetime. Well, here's one good indicator. As a further example, when my teacher saw I had an issue with ChNN, he made a point of endorsing him. So that gives people here an idea of how badly this negativity resides in me.

But suffice it here to say it is my personal choice to not go running after these guys for teachings and to offer them my unconditional and undying fealty.
smcj

Postby Will » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:25 am

This married lady in poor health tells her story about Lu's connection with her: http://downthecrookedpath-meditation-gu ... -true.html
Revealing one essence: this means the inherently pure, complete, luminous essence, which is pure of its own nature. -- Fa-tsang
Will

Postby shaunc » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:52 am

Hi Mahadragon. Buddhism in its most basic form has 5 precepts to follow. These are expected to be followed by both the clergy & laity. This guy from what I've read doesn't seem to hold the 3rd one in very high regard. Keep looking around there's plenty of good teachers & sanghas out there.
shaunc

Postby Alfredo » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:06 am

Well, he could be such an advanced being, that the rules no longer apply to him. Using his omniscience, he might have discerned that having sex would, under the circumstances, be so beneficial, that it would be wrong not to do it (what with the bodhisattva vow and all). I mean, he told her she was going to die unless they had sex. Anyway, who are you going to believe--the emanation of something-or-other, or women with issues?

You know those clothes we've been admiring? That article gives name to each item, as he takes them off to enjoy his "imperial concubine"--plus we learn what he wears underneath! Let's just say he's No True Scotsman.

Here's another, equally worthy representative of the Sangha Jewel, with an equally-impressive headpiece: HH Dorje Chang Buddha III.

http://xuanfa.net/hh-dorje-chang-buddha-iii/

(found while googling "twin-body blessing")
Alfredo

Return to Open Dharma