Tucker's research on reincarnation.

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Re: Tucker's research on reincarnation.

Postby pueraeternus » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:05 am

dude wrote:
pueraeternus wrote:
No, the human realm is probably the most conducive, but not the only realm that nirvana can be realized. Non-returners gain their final release from the Pure Realms as long-lived Brahmas.

In what sutra is that stated?

There are many Agama sutras that state this. One example is the Dasama Sutta:

Staying right there, he reaches the ending of the mental fermentations. Or, if not, then — through this very Dhamma-passion, this Dhamma-delight, and from the total wasting away of the first five Fetters — he is due to be reborn [in the Pure Abodes], there to be totally unbound, never again to return from that world.

According to tradition, Brahma Sahampati, who asked the then just-enlightened Buddha to remain in the world and teach his Dharma, was a Brahma from the Pure Abodes.
When I set out to lead humanity along my Golden Path I promised a lesson their bones would remember. I know a profound pattern humans deny with words even while their actions affirm it. They say they seek security and quiet, conditions they call peace. Even as they speak, they create seeds of turmoil and violence.

- Leto II, the God Emperor
pueraeternus

Re: Tucker's research on reincarnation.

Postby dude » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:19 am

Ah yes, I remember now, thank you very much :smile:
dude

Previous

Return to Open Dharma