Trees are sentient beings?

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Re: Trees are sentient beings?

Postby disjointed » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:24 am

Trees can serve as homes for devas according to the vinaya.
There is a story of a deva mother who resisted killing a monk who damaged a plant and therefore her child that was dwelling in it. She instead came to the Buddha to complain and a rule was established.
I hope I am spelling it right. The term for plant here is bhutagama.
If there is a radical inconsistency between your statements and the position you claim to hold,
you are a sock puppet.
Make as many accounts as you want; people can identify your deception with this test.
disjointed

Postby TheSpirit » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:22 am

disjointed wrote:Trees can serve as homes for devas according to the vinaya.
There is a story of a deva mother who resisted killing a monk who damaged a plant and therefore her child that was dwelling in it. She instead came to the Buddha to complain and a rule was established.
I hope I am spelling it right. The term for plant here is bhutagama.

Thank you so much disjointed! I am extremely grateful for your response and sharing your knowledge. I looked up bhutagama and found the scripture for it

http://www.skeptictank.org/files/mys5/chapt_8b.htm

I am practicing Shinto and have a love for Buddhism as well as I find truth. However I find just as much truth in Shinto.I want to explore the similarities and the agreeable philosophy of the two paths. Thanks to you I have found yet another common ground between Shinto and Buddhism . I am grateful.
“To be fully alive is to have an aesthetic perception of life because a major part of the world's goodness lies in its often unspeakable beauty.”
― Yukitaka Yamamoto
TheSpirit

Postby disjointed » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:45 am

You're welcome.
If there is a radical inconsistency between your statements and the position you claim to hold,
you are a sock puppet.
Make as many accounts as you want; people can identify your deception with this test.
disjointed

Previous

Return to Open Dharma