This lovely Wednesday morning, I have a beautiful painting of Bodhisatta by Thai artist, Chakrabhand Posayakrit...to go with Buddha's List....David's Book : Buddha's List #129 - #132
[By Dr.David N. Snyder] List no. 129 :Three types of enlightened ones:
1. Samma-sam-buddha = One who rediscovers the teachings and teaches the masses as the
historical Buddha did (Siddhattha Gotama).
2. Paccekabuddha = A silent buddha. One who attains full enlightenment, but does not teach
3. Arahant = Fully enlightened person, who might teach others, but not as the one who
rediscovered the teachings, just as one who learned it from a current dispensation. List no. 130 : Three searches:
1. The search for pleasure
2. The search for becoming
3. The search for the noble life
(from Samyutta Nikaya 45) List no. 131 : Three types of persons similar to sick people:
1. One will cure and free himself, even without meeting the Buddha-Dhamma.
2. One will never be cured, even if taught this Dhamma by the Buddha himself.
3. One will be cured and freed, if and only if, taught and learn the Buddha-Dhamma.
(from Anguttara Nikaya 3.22) List no. 132 : Mara‘s three offspring:
(When the Buddha-to-be was meditating under the Bodhi Tree just before enlightenment, he
received three temptations from the daughters of Mara.)
1. Lobha (Greed)
2. Dosa (Hatred)
3. Moha (Delusion)
(from Samyutta Nikaya 1 Mara-samyutta)
(Note that the names are mental states, suggesting that some of the realms in ths in the 31 planes of
existence may just be mental states, rather than physical places.)