Safe Escape - User Friendly Dharma

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Re: Safe Escape - User Friendly Dharma

Postby Indrajala » Sat May 15, 2010 12:46 am

shel wrote:
Confession?

Yes, confession is a key component in most Buddhist practises. One confesses misdeeds and commits oneself not to re-offend. With satisfaction of a misdeed no longer being in effect, the action is no longer entirely complete so the karmic repercussions will be less.

Confession verses are actually included in a lot of daily recitation in East Asia at least.
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala
Former staff member

Postby Indrajala » Sat May 15, 2010 12:48 am

Yogicfire wrote:I will meet up with Huseng at some point, and take him salsa dancing with me. I will report back on what kind of awakenings ripen at that time.....

I have the grace and agility of a bull in mating season on the dance floor. :jawdrop:
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala
Former staff member

Postby Lazy_eye » Sun May 16, 2010 7:31 pm

Astus wrote:
Make no mistake, I'm not saying that a lay life would be ideal for the path, nor that ordination is useless. I am only arguing for not excluding lay people. Dahui wrote (Swampland Flowers, p. 33-34): "When has it ever been necessary to leave wife and children, quit one's job, chew on vegetable roots, and cause pain to the body?" He talks exactly about how it is possible to attain enlightenment as a busy layman.

Astus,

Thanks for this (and for the sutra quotes you posted later) If you know of other sources which discuss Ch'an lay practice, I'd welcome the references. I'm in exactly this situation and am trying to determine if Ch'an is the most appropriate path.

Thanks,

LE
Lazy_eye

Postby Astus » Sun May 16, 2010 7:50 pm

Lazy_eye,

As I said, I haven't tried yet to search on this subject of Chan lay practice. But what immediately popped up in my mind was this teaching from the Platform Sutra (ch. 3):

The master said, “Good friends, if you wish to cultivate this practice, you may do so either as a householder or in a monastery. Householders who are able to practice this are like those persons of the East whose minds [harbor] good. Those in the monastery who do not cultivate it are like those people of the West whose minds [harbor] evil. It is only that the mind should be pure—then it is the Western [Paradise] of the self-nature!”

Lord Wei asked further, “How can householders cultivate this practice? I hope you will teach us this.” The master said, “I will recite a formless verse for this great assembly. Just cultivate according to this, doing exactly as if you were always with me. If you do not cultivate according to this, what benefit would it be to take the tonsure and leave home [to become a monk]?”
The verse goes:

With the mind universally [the same], why labor to maintain the precepts?
With practice direct, what use is it to cultivate dhyāna?
Gratitude is to be filial in supporting one’s parents
Righteousness is to have sympathy for those above and below.

Self-subordination is to honor the lowly and the familiar.
Forbearance is not to approve of the various evils.
If one is able to rub sticks to create a fire,
The red lotus blossom will certainly grow from the mud.

That which causes the mouth suffering is good medicine.
That which offends the ears is loyal speech.
By reforming transgressions one will necessarily generate wisdom.
To defend shortcomings within one’s mind is not wise.

In one’s daily actions one must always practice the dissemination of benefit [for others].
Accomplishing enlightenment does not depend on donating money.
Bodhi should only be sought for in the mind.
Why belabor seeking for the mysterious externally?

If you hear this explanation and practice accordingly,
The Western [Paradise] is right in front of you.

The master said further, “Good friends, you should all practice according to this verse. See your own natures and directly accomplish the enlightenment of buddhahood!
"There is no such thing as the real mind. Ridding yourself of delusion: that's the real mind."
(Sheng-yen: Getting the Buddha Mind, p 73)

“Don’t rashly seek the true Buddha;
True Buddha can’t be found.
Does marvelous nature and spirit
Need tempering or refinement?
Mind is this mind carefree;
This face, the face at birth."

(Nanyue Mingzan: Enjoying the Way, tr. Jeff Shore; T51n2076, p461b24-26)
Astus
Former staff member

Previous

Return to Open Dharma