YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

foot falling asleep too the point that i can't move it??? - Dhamma Wheel

foot falling asleep too the point that i can't move it???

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
johnny

foot falling asleep too the point that i can't move it???

Postby johnny » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:48 pm

if i meditate for an hour or so my left foot, and only the left, falls asleep so much that i cannot move it. i can move my leg, but i cannot even wiggle my toes. the leg and foot still have a healthy pink color and are not looking like the circulation is cut off or anything, it just doesn't work.

this lasts only about thirty seconds too maybe a minute or so and then i can wiggle them, and then needles and pins for a minute, and then i'm fine.

anyone know about this?
The time would not pass. Somebody was playing with the clocks, and not only the electronic clocks but the wind-up kind too. The second hand on my watch would twitch once, and a year would pass, and then it would twitch again.
There was nothing I could do about it. As an Earthling I had to believe whatever clocks said -and calendars.”
― Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five

Cittasanto

Re: foot falling asleep too the point that i can't move it???

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:01 pm

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

johnny

Postby johnny » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:04 pm

The time would not pass. Somebody was playing with the clocks, and not only the electronic clocks but the wind-up kind too. The second hand on my watch would twitch once, and a year would pass, and then it would twitch again.
There was nothing I could do about it. As an Earthling I had to believe whatever clocks said -and calendars.”

bodom

Postby bodom » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:06 pm

To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With mindfulness immersed in the body
well established, restrained
with regard to the six media of contact,
always centered, the monk
can know Unbinding for himself.

- Ud 3.5

https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html
http://www.ajahnchah.org/

johnny

Postby johnny » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:08 pm

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:21 pm

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:41 pm

Use a meditation bench, cushion, pillow... it's simply compressed nerves, adjust the sitting position and it's solved. No use just enduring it for the sake of the "I am sitting in lotus" dhamma.

:heart:

johnny

Postby johnny » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:30 am

Kamran

Postby Kamran » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:30 am

I think this is usually caused when blood flow to the foot is slowed down(its not completely cut off). The blood is pushed out to capillaries. It like when there is an accident on the freeway and everybody takes the side roads :) In time, new capillaries will grow and the blood will be re-routed to your foot.
"Silence gives answers"

Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi

dharmagoat

Postby dharmagoat » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:53 am

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:52 am

johnny

Postby johnny » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:20 am

marc108

Postby marc108 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:59 am

"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."

reflection

Postby reflection » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:20 am

I've had this, the ability to not move my feet. The solution is first not get too fed up about it and second, try another posture. One that doesn't compress your feet as much.

Meditation is about posture of the mind, not really about posture of the body. The posture just has to be comfortable and attentive. No need for full lotus.

Bonsai Doug

Postby Bonsai Doug » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:38 pm

Now having obtained a precious human body,
I do not have the luxury of remaining on a distracted path.

~ Tibetan Book of the Dead

johnny

Postby johnny » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:35 pm

awesome and thanks sooo much too all giving me good reasons too forget lotus. i've never really cared for it.

last question: have any of you been able too attain jhana without it? probably a silly question since well known teachers don't always recommend it, but i'm curious.

marc108

Postby marc108 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:17 pm

"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."

johnny

Postby johnny » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:29 pm

johnny

Postby johnny » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:29 pm

Last edited by johnny on Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TravisGM

Postby TravisGM » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:30 pm

To be happy...

Return to “General Theravāda Meditation”