YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

The interpretation of the 8 precepts - Page 2 - Dhamma Wheel

The interpretation of the 8 precepts

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: The interpretation of the 8 precepts

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:58 am

• • • • (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

Anagarika

Postby Anagarika » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:41 am

Thanks, Bhante, for your response. I agree that so much of this commitment must come from within. Certainly, the support from you, and all on DW, as kalyana mitta is so very important. It's wonderful that all can connect electronically through this valuable forum, and tragic that we are all spread out across the world and for some, have no physical sangha or Wat to attend in person. In any case, I am fortunate to be back to my "home Wat" in Fang Thailand this September, and will ask the Abbot to receive the 8 precepts, just to undertake this formally. I would so wish to be a samanera again, but here in my city and with my vocation, it's just not feasible.

starter

Postby starter » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:02 pm

Last edited by starter on Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:21 pm

The eight precepts with right livelihood as the eighth might well be a later tradition, but they are the original teaching. There is nothing innovative therein. Right speech includes abstaining from back-biting, abuse, and idle chatter. A Buddhist dedicated to observing the five precepts should also practise right livelihood. Whenever they can, they should also undertake the eight Uposatha day precepts.

The instructions given to Soṇa were specific for him. Mahākassapa had psychic powers almost equal to the Buddha.
• • • • (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

Dhammanando

Postby Dhammanando » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:35 pm

starter

Postby starter » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:15 pm

Hello Bhante Dhammanando and Bhante Pesala,

Many thanks for your comments. I understand that all the eight were taught by the Buddha under either ten wholesome conducts or the noble eight-factored path. Sorry I didn't make my point clear. My point is that the Buddha didn't teach them as the eight precepts.

On one hand, they might confuse with the eight monastic precepts set up by the Buddha, and they should probably not be offered to the lay practitioners as an alternative to the eight monastic precepts.

On the other hand, those who can really observe all these 8 "precepts" would have already perfected their sila (right speech, right action, right livelihood). This is not very practical (and could dilute the lay practitioners effort on the five or eight precepts set up by the Buddha), since even stream winners could still have "evil conducts" and have not yet perfected their sila (they have just entered the N8P to perfect their speech/action/livelihood), to my understanding:

Sn 2.1 PTS: Sn 222-238
Ratana Sutta: The Jewel Discourse
"With his gaining of insight he abandons three states of mind, namely self-illusion/self view (Sakkaya-ditthi), doubt (Vicikiccha), and attachment to sila (precepts/virtues) and rites/rituals (Silabbataparamasa), should there be any. He is also fully freed from the four states of woe, and therefore, incapable of committing the six major wrongdoings. This precious jewel is the Sangha. By this (asseveration of the) truth may there be happiness.

"Any evil conduct he may still do by deed, word or thought, he is incapable of concealing it; since it has been proclaimed that such concealing is impossible for one who has seen the Path (N8P). This precious jewel is the Sangha. By this truth may there be happiness. ..."

Mega metta!

Starter
:anjali:

Dhammanando

Postby Dhammanando » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:39 pm

Anagarika

Postby Anagarika » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:53 am

Mkoll

Postby Mkoll » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:09 am

:goodpost: Anagarika.

The sexual bombardment in advertising is relentless, isn't it?
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

martinfrank

Postby martinfrank » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:22 pm

I undertake the precept to refrain from eating at the forbidden time (i.e., after noon).

I think this is a good rule for a healthy (vegetarian :thinking: ) diet and to reduce weight. As I understand it this is not a "moral" rule for lay people and there might be occasions when we have to tell ourselves "I am not a monk!". If a monk gets hungry in the afternoon, he can (in theory) sit down and deal with it, because this is his job. If you are a businessman and get invited for dinner, you can manage not to drink alcohol and not to eat meat, but to eat NOTHING will definitely look odd. What are you going to order? One mineral water? While your business friends order full dinner? Whom will it benefit? Is it not better to eat in moderation when invited or inviting and eat nothing when we are at home or alone?

I undertake the precept to refrain from dancing, singing, music, going to see entertainments, wearing garlands, using perfumes, and beautifying the body with cosmetics.

If only people would care so much about the stains of their heart as they care about the stains on their face! What about deodorants? What about chanting? What about music? Movies? TV? YouTube?

I undertake the precept to refrain from lying on a high or luxurious sleeping place.

Isn't this is a rule for monks? What sense does it make for lay people? Just buy a Futon in Ikea and your done!
The Noble Eightfold Path: Proposed to all, imposed on none.

Return to “Sīla”