householder buddha?

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

householder buddha?

Postby kevdogg » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:25 am

Boy oh boy.... i have read me some Buddha and i cant really find any thing favorable toward the householders plight other than how difficult it is to be one. Were there any successful householder Bodhisattvas or anything like that? Is there any chance for us? or wait till the next time round....ooofff :consoling:
kevdogg

Re: householder buddha?

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:29 am

kevdogg wrote:Boy oh boy.... i have read me some Buddha and i cant really find any thing favorable toward the householders plight other than how difficult it is to be one. Were there any successful householder Bodhisattvas or anything like that? Is there any chance for us? or wait till the next time round....ooofff :consoling:

Less so in Theraveda I think..but there are plenty of lay teachers and traditions out there that are seen as legitimate for sure.

I like what Bhante Dhammika says about it on his page:

http://www.buddhisma2z.com/content.php?id=179
"Just as a lotus does not grow out of a well-levelled soil but from the mire, in the same way the awakening mind
is not born in the hearts of disciples in whom the moisture of attachment has dried up. It grows instead in the hearts of ordinary sentient beings who possess in full the fetters of bondage." -Se Chilbu Choki Gyaltsen
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Postby kevdogg » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:37 am

i dig it man!! thanx friend! :bow: :thanks: :reading:
kevdogg

Postby plwk » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:41 am

plwk

Postby Konchog1 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:05 am

kevdogg wrote:Boy oh boy.... i have read me some Buddha and i cant really find any thing favorable toward the householders plight other than how difficult it is to be one. Were there any successful householder Bodhisattvas or anything like that? Is there any chance for us? or wait till the next time round....ooofff :consoling:
Theravada states that only monks can attain Enlightenment. However, the Pali Canon mentions Enlightened laypeople. Mahayana states anyone can attain Enlightenment. This point is made explicitly clear in the Lotus Sutra wherein a young Naga girl attains Enlightenment (that is a nonhuman female child) thus showing that there are no limits.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Konchog1

Postby Indrajala » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:10 am

Konchog1 wrote:Theravada states that only monks can attain Enlightenment. However, the Pali Canon mentions Enlightened laypeople. Mahayana states anyone can attain Enlightenment. This point is made explicitly clear in the Lotus Sutra wherein a young Naga girl attains Enlightenment (that is a nonhuman female child) thus showing that there are no limits.

Some Chinese writers suggest this as well -- you need to renounce before you attain the fourth fruit of arhatship. Stream-entry and so on are possible as a layperson, but arhatship requires renunciation.

I believe that really just means you need to give up desire entirely, which is what the arhat does. A layperson might still store food, keep money and have sex, whereas the fourth fruit of arhatship requires that it all be abandoned, which is what formal renunciation is ideally supposed to entail.
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala
Former staff member

Postby ToddR » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:44 pm

House holder yogi, the great Marpa ( http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Marpa). He was the teacher of Milarepa.
Avalokiteshvara, the Bodhisattva of Compassion, meditating deeply on Perfection of Wisdom, saw clearly that the five aspects of human existence are empty, and so released himself from suffering.
ToddR

Postby Jikan » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:02 pm

I'd start with Vimalakirti, as plwk has suggested.
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby kevdogg » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:28 pm

Wow i have never been so happy. There are so many knowlegeable people in this forum it blows my wig back! Marpa!!! Vimalkriti sutra!!! :bow: This is so fantastic and amazing! thanx guys. I feel so confident now! Nothing but respect for the sangha!!! :group: Thank you!!! WOot!!!! :reading:
kevdogg

Return to Open Dharma