YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Daily Timetable? - Dhamma Wheel

Daily Timetable?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Chi

Daily Timetable?

Postby Chi » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:04 pm

Hi Everybody,

This has always been an issue for me...

On retreats, I am on the timetable like there is no tomorrow. I do my best to be early to the scheduled sittings, etc. I like conforming.

Back home, it's a bit different. It's like there is no direction and I am just flowing with whatever feels good. Sometimes, I tell myself the night before that I am going to follow this timetable and I even write it down, but it rarely goes as planned. The internet is so darn fun, reconnecting with friends feels so good.

I don't know, maybe it's just coming back from a long retreat, but I feel like I need a time table again.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you schedule a time table for yourself? If so, care to share?

with metta,
Chi
Do Good, Avoid Evil, Purify the Mind.

Sanghamitta

Re: Daily Timetable?

Postby Sanghamitta » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:57 pm

One hours practice mornings
Forty five minutes evenings...always. winter summer in sickness and in health.
And if that means getting up earlier, if travelling for example...then thats what I do.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.

santa100

Postby santa100 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:10 pm

It's all about "habit energy". It might take some effort and discipline at the beginning to kick the bad habit and reinforce the good one. But once you've got a hang of it, it should be pretty smooth from then on..

Goofaholix

Postby Goofaholix » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:21 pm

Do you have a job? I find this dominates my timetable and I fit whatever else in I can.

Chi

Postby Chi » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:17 pm

Do Good, Avoid Evil, Purify the Mind.

contemplans

Postby contemplans » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:05 pm

My spiritual life didn't really go anywhere until I set up a schedule. It is always easy to say, later. My biggest problem is free time. My day is pretty laid out with work and family life. I either need to make free time, or when I do have I just drift like Old Man River. I realized that having free time is not the problem, but my problem was not having any structure to it. Generally I schedule sitting time, reading/study time, pure recreation (rest), and time of vocal prayer. Every once in a while I'll shake things up a bit. The schedule can't be inflexible. My life's different then yours, so you have to find your own schedule, but I highly recommend that have a schedule. As I've heard someone say, you have to set your clock to "Monastic Standard Time".

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”