Buddhism and the Nouvelle Droite

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Re: Buddhism and the Nouvelle Droite

Postby Yudron » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:30 am

:popcorn:
Yudron

Re: Buddhism and the Nouvelle Droite

Postby Konchog1 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:53 am

nilakantha wrote:The ninth vow of Queen Śrīmālā pretty much sums up the political platform of Mahayana Buddhism.
"Lord, from now on, and until I attain enlightenment, I hold to this ninth vow, that when I see persons with sinful occupations such as dealing in pigs, and those who violate the Doctrine and Discipline proclaimed by the Tathāgata, I shall not take it lightly; and wherever my residence in towns, villages, cities, districts, and capitals, I shall destroy what should be destroyed and shall foster what should be fostered. Why so? Lord, by destroying and by fostering, the Illustrious Doctrine will long remain in the world, the bodies of gods and men will thrive, and evil destinies will fade. And the Lord, having turned the Wheel of the Doctrine, will continue to turn the Wheel of the Doctrine.”
The Lord teaches that the first four lay vows are the foundation of morality for any civilized group, and since we are told the Buddhas seek to civilize and pacify sentient beings, I take it as an imperative to implement them into law. So at the moment my political work is geared toward the ending of legal abortion, seeing that it is a gross violation of the first vow. I also work against capital punishment, hunting, the slaughter of animals for food, etc. Whether or not I am considered a leftist or rightist is unimportant. As a Buddhist, the only pattern I care about is the pattern of life laid down by the Lords.
Precisely. However, your course of action will cause a lot of hatred towards you so if I may make an advisement: please make an effort to hate the sin, and not the sinner. :smile:

“It is not the notion of friend or enemy that you need to stop but the bias that comes from attachment and hostility, which are based on the reason that some people are your friends and others your enemies.”

- Lam Rim Chen Mo eng v02 pg. 37 tib pg. 300

In other words, the concept of enemies still exists for practitioners, but we shouldn't hate them.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Konchog1

Previous

Return to Open Dharma