Spirit of sentient beings in Buddhism

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Spirit of sentient beings in Buddhism

Postby Rakshasa » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:46 am

In Taoism there is the concept of Jing-Qi-Shen (Essence-Vital Energy - Spirit), where Shen is the spirit that animates a corpse to make a living sentient being. I think this Shen is not the same as Soul which is supposed to be permanent entity which transmigrates (as in Hinduism).

Does this concept of Shen/Spirit find any place in Buddhism? People say that someone with penetrating sharp eyes has a strong spirit. This does make intuitive sense to me.

If there is a concept of Spirit in Buddhism what it is called and what is the theory? Dharmata? Prana?

Of course in some sects of Taoism, there is just not one spirit within a human body but many like "Po", "Li", "Hung" etc residing in different Organs while having different functions. I find this theory pretty fascinating and some of it does make sense to me. Is it contradictory to what Buddhism proposes?

AFAIK, even Buddhists do not deny that some human beings after death do not transmigrate immediately and their spirit gets stuck on Earth for a long time because of their attachment towards worldly life or the nature of their death (sudden accident for example). This perfectly fits with the traditions of ancestor worship found all over the world. After all, if the being gets a new birth somewhere, whom are their descendants worshiping anyway?
Rakshasa

Re: Spirit of sentient beings in Buddhism

Postby Konchog1 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:20 am

Well, in Tibetan Buddhism Lung is the energy that keeps the person alive. Wangtang is the 'aura' you can sense in some people.

AFAIK, even Buddhists do not deny that some human beings after death do not transmigrate immediately and their spirit gets stuck on Earth for a long time because of their attachment towards worldly life or the nature of their death (sudden accident for example). This perfectly fits with the traditions of ancestor worship found all over the world.
Only in some sects, and even then people only stay for a month or so at most.

After all, if the being gets a new birth somewhere, whom are their descendants worshiping anyway?
Spirits looking for offerings.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Konchog1

Postby Rakshasa » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:52 pm

I was referring to these:

Shen: The Spirit of Fire — Inspiration, Insight, Awareness, and Compassion

Hun: The Spirit of Wood — Vision, Imagination, Direction, and Benevolence

Yi: The Spirit of Earth — Integrity, Intention, Clear Thought, and Devotion

Po: The Spirit of Metal — Animal Wit, Embodied Knowing, Receptivity, and Appreciation

Zhi: The Spirit of Water — Instinctual Power, Courage, Will, and Wisdom

http://www.fivespirits.com/fivespirits.php

Clearly these spirits are not the "Soul" of the Hindus and Tirthikas. Can a Buddhist also believe in this theory of five spirits?
Rakshasa

Postby Red Faced Buddha » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:54 am

Rakshasa wrote:I was referring to these:

Shen: The Spirit of Fire — Inspiration, Insight, Awareness, and Compassion

Hun: The Spirit of Wood — Vision, Imagination, Direction, and Benevolence

Yi: The Spirit of Earth — Integrity, Intention, Clear Thought, and Devotion

Po: The Spirit of Metal — Animal Wit, Embodied Knowing, Receptivity, and Appreciation

Zhi: The Spirit of Water — Instinctual Power, Courage, Will, and Wisdom

http://www.fivespirits.com/fivespirits.php

Clearly these spirits are not the "Soul" of the Hindus and Tirthikas. Can a Buddhist also believe in this theory of five spirits?

I think so.I belief trees,rocks,mountains,and other such things possess a spirit.Not a soul,mind you.But an animate spirit that lives in the spirit realm.
A person once asked me why I would want to stop rebirth. "It sounds pretty cool. Being able to come back. Who wouldn't want to be reborn."
I replied. "Wanting to be reborn is like wanting to stay in a jail cell, when you have the chance to go free and experience the whole wide world. Does a convict, on being freed from his shabby, constricting, little cell, suddenly say "I really want to go back to jail and be put in a cell. It sounds pretty cool. Being able to come back. Who wouldn't want that?"
Red Faced Buddha

Return to Open Dharma