YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Defilements. - Dhamma Wheel

Defilements.

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
white lotus

Defilements.

Postby white lotus » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:18 pm

if one sees dhamma as all things including the observer, one sees nature... however if there is still fright, craving and blemish what level is attained? Ajahn Chaa says that ''seeing'' nature is sotapanna, but what is ''being'' nature, being dhamma? and the continuing presence of defilements, what does this mean?

am very new to therevada, please be compassionate with my enquires.

best wishes, Tom.

Khalil Bodhi

Re: Defilements.

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:30 pm

Hi Tom,

I suspect that this type of question would be best asked of a teacher who knows you well if you are asking about your personal experience. If you are asking a question about the nature of sotapanna or stream-enterers then you may find some help here. Mettaya!
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:
My Practice Blog:

white lotus

Postby white lotus » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:08 pm

thank you Khalil. am interested in therevadan theories about level of attainment. i have gone quite far with zen and other mahayana forms however they are not concerned primarily with extinction of all difficulties in this life... in Therevada there is an emphasis for the Arahant that such a one is 'arahant', free of all difficulties... this goes beyond the zen and mahayana ideal. so, it is interesting to me.

Ajahn Chaa speaks seeing nature or dhamma, this is also spoken of in Zen, however with a slightly different angle. zen would argue that there are no defilements in the fundamental nature of all things, and having awareness of that nature is satori/enlightenment. with Theravada however, seeing nature is the entry of the stream... Sotapanna. i would argue that you cannot see nature unless you are nature, you cannot see dhamma without realising that you are dhamma... however, what does this seeing mean if there are still difficulties... fear, craving and blemish?

in Zen difficulties are part of enlightened existence. in Therevada there is an extinction of difficulties. Arahant... the one who is free of all difficulty.

so... interesting.

thanks again for getting back to me Khalil, i wish that you received great merit,

best wishes, Tom.

Khalil Bodhi

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:51 pm

Mettaya Tom and happy holidays!
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:
My Practice Blog:

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”