Can Devas become Buddhas/Bodhisattva?

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Can Devas become Buddhas/Bodhisattva?

Postby Red Faced Buddha » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:59 pm

Can Devas become Buddhas or Bodhisattva?I get how they have all kinds of distractions(more than humans supposedly.)but I don't get how they can't find enlightenment in their current lifetime.I've heard some people say devas can't become enlightened in their current lifetime but that doesn't make much sense,so I'd like to ask you(Your personal theories on the subject are welcome.)
A person once asked me why I would want to stop rebirth. "It sounds pretty cool. Being able to come back. Who wouldn't want to be reborn."
I replied. "Wanting to be reborn is like wanting to stay in a jail cell, when you have the chance to go free and experience the whole wide world. Does a convict, on being freed from his shabby, constricting, little cell, suddenly say "I really want to go back to jail and be put in a cell. It sounds pretty cool. Being able to come back. Who wouldn't want that?"
Red Faced Buddha

Re: Can Devas become Buddhas/Bodhisattva?

Postby tomamundsen » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:52 pm

Red Faced Buddha wrote:Can Devas become Buddhas or Bodhisattva?I get how they have all kinds of distractions(more than humans supposedly.)but I don't get how they can't find enlightenment in their current lifetime.I've heard some people say devas can't become enlightened in their current lifetime but that doesn't make much sense,so I'd like to ask you(Your personal theories on the subject are welcome.)

I know what you mean. I am quite certain that at least devas can become arhats by logical deduction. The terms once returner and never returner refer to returning to the desire realm. So, they can still be born in the form and formless realms, which basically means devas.
tomamundsen

Postby Karma Dondrup Tashi » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:07 pm

There's a Buddha depicted in each of the six realms on the Tibetan Wheel of Life so we can assume that it's possible for all creatures within each of the six realms to achieve enlightenment.
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Postby Indrajala » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:50 am

Yes, they can take bodhisattva precepts provided they can understand the language of the precept master.

In some deva realms the pleasures are too intense for them to break away and cultivate merit or a spirit of renunciation.

As one story goes one bhiksu died from getting bit in the head by a snake while meditating and was reborn (and woke up) in Indra's realm, full of many great pleasures and delights. A goddess was dispatched to greet him. She met him and asked him to pay homage to Indra. The bhiksu, clearly irritated, said Indra should come pay homage to him as he was a member of the sangha. The goddess said Indra would only pay homage to renunciates who settled in a certain monastic park in that realm. So, the bhiksu went to that park thus forsaking all the pleasures of that celestial realm.
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala
Former staff member

Postby Caz » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:12 am

I have heard no simply because the higher realms are far to distracting, However the story Huseng mentioned would seem that the gods where influenced by Buddha's teachings to provide a space for practitioners who where born there. :namaste:
Abandoning Dharma is, in the final analysis, disparaging the Hinayana because of the Mahayana; favoring the Hinayana on account of the Mahayana; playing off sutra against tantra; playing off the four classes of the tantras against each other; favoring one of the Tibetan schools—the Sakya, Gelug, Kagyu, or Nyingma—and disparaging the rest; and so on. In other words, we abandon Dharma any time we favor our own tenets and disparage the rest.

Liberation in the Palm of your hand~Kyabje Pabongkha Rinpoche.
Caz

Postby consciousness » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:45 am

Karma Dondrup Tashi wrote:There's a Buddha depicted in each of the six realms on the Tibetan Wheel of Life so we can assume that it's possible for all creatures within each of the six realms to achieve enlightenment.

beautifully said.
sarva budh dakini
consciousness

Return to Open Dharma