YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Biggest myths about the Buddha? - Dhamma Wheel

Biggest myths about the Buddha?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Digity

Biggest myths about the Buddha?

Postby Digity » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:31 am

What are some of the biggest myths about the Buddha? For instance, I heard that the story about his enlightenment about never being exposed to suffering, then seeing an old man and then running away, etc. was mostly just a myth. What are some myths you would like to share?

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Biggest myths about the Buddha?

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:44 am

Greetings Digity,

Another myth is that he actually taught these things...

What the Buddha did not teach - Christopher Titmuss
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8879

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

cooran

Postby cooran » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:59 am

Hello digity,

To me, 'myth' means something that is untrue, a product of someone's imagination used to explain a happening that would otherwise be a mystery.

What do you mean when you say 'myth'?

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Digity

Postby Digity » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:00 am

Yeah, something that was made up. That's there's no real substantial evidence to back up or real reason to believe.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:07 am

Greetings Digity,

Do you mean things like the Jataka Tales?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Ben

Postby Ben » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:15 am

One myth: that he taught the doctrine of rebirth for the benefit of the intellectual pygmies in his audience.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:22 am

Ben

Postby Ben » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:43 am

Yes, according to Christopher Titmus...
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

pegembara

Postby pegembara » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:55 am

Physical characteristics of the Buddha
The 32 Signs of a Great Man

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_c ... the_Buddha

Did he really sneak out of the palace when his wife and son was asleep?

So, at a later time, while still young, a black-haired young man endowed with the blessings of youth in the first stage of life—and while my parents, unwilling, were crying with tears streaming down their faces—I shaved off my hair & beard, put on the ochre robe and went forth from the home life into homelessness.
— Ariyapariyesana Sutta
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:08 am

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:35 am

I dont understand " myth" to mean something untrue.
I understand it to refer to truths that are not ontological statements. But expressions that at some level conform to a wider or deeper reality.
For example it stetches literal belief that the young Gautama could possibly have been kept away from all indicators of Dukkha. But as a poetic statement of the growing realisation of personal mortality and that of family and friends, and of a whole world of experience beyond one's present and immediate interior world, it has resonance.

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:37 am

Ben

Postby Ben » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:51 am

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:57 am

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:03 am

And of course Ben 16 year olds are the perfect audience for that kind of consideration. They have had a couple of years of growing awareness of mortality ( unless they have been exposed to death at a young age )..
I dont often quote Freud but it is precisely at that time that there is a growing awareness of both Eros and Thanatos...the most obvious manifestations of which are sexuality and mortality...
The loss of innocence in the face of sex and death is a myth we all enact in prepuberty and puberty.
And that loss propels many intelligent and sensitive young people to ponder the meaning of it all.

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:12 am

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:51 am

I have lots of lots of dealings Tilt with young people whose underlying emotional trauma is rooted in their coming face to face with mortality.

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:59 am

James the Giant

Postby James the Giant » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:01 am

Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.

Ben

Postby Ben » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:06 am

Hi Tilt, I reckon if I was 17 and lost the use of my legs I would be pretty freaked out. Maybe the experience is so sudden and so close that for some it becomes impossible to process initially - hence the denial. I do understand what you mean about teenagers and twenty-somethings behaving like they'll live forever. Maybe there is a disconnect between conceptual understanding of mortality and developing a sense of one's own mortality.

Hi Peter, very interesting what you said (earlier).
kind regards

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”