Ajikan (moon disk meditation)

Ajikan (moon disk meditation)

Postby Seishin » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:08 am

In our small group we have been practising a form of Ajikan. I understand that there are many forms of Ajikan but I was wondering how prevalent Ajikan is in Tendai?

Gassho,
Seishin.
Seishin
Former staff member

Re: Ajikan (moon disk meditation)

Postby Jikan » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:27 pm

I've had different answers to this question. I've practiced it on retreat at Tendai Buddhist Institute more than once, but I'm not sure when how or under what circumstances (by whom) it is practiced in Japan today.
Need help getting on retreat? Want to support others in practice? Pay the Dana for Dharma forum a visit...

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=13727
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby Seishin » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:43 pm

Hmm, maybe it is just our lineage :shrug:
Seishin
Former staff member

Postby Jikan » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:03 pm

To clarify my earlier post: I know it's practiced, but I don't know how frequently it is practiced, or by whom. more by PM.
Need help getting on retreat? Want to support others in practice? Pay the Dana for Dharma forum a visit...

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=13727
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby Seishin » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:21 pm

Thanks for the clarification. :smile:
Seishin
Former staff member

Postby jikai » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:39 am

Hi Seishin,
We have practiced it at the Hawaii Betsuin as well, although I cant say it we have done it too often. Having said that, it is certainly a mainstream Tendai practice.
Gassho
Jikai
"There are no seperate dharma's in the Three Realms. There is only the operation of the one mind."
"Whoever wishes to benefit beings ought to establish teachings that fit their capacities, expound the dharma in accordance with their capacities, and match the doctrines to them"
jikai

Postby rory » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:21 am

Ajikan is a common esoteric practice, going back to Vajrayana in India and probably further. I suggest you read Richard Payne's "Ajikan; Ritual and Meditation in the Shingon Tradition." found in "Revisioning Kamakura Buddhism" it's pretty old 1998 but a good place to start. You might find the later "Tantric Buddhism in East Asia" 2005 ed. Richard K Payne helpful in understanding tantra and its place in Buddhism.
If I remember correctly Rev. Eijo said with a tone of disapproval Shingon shu were teaching Ajikan to laypeople, but who knows that was years ago over at e-sangha. Things may have changed.
ah here I found a link to Komyo-in the Shingon Shingi temple in france & ajikan
ttp://komyoin.free.fr/komyo-site/franca ... iques/kan/
gassho
rory
rory

Postby JKhedrup » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:09 am

As a side comment, do you know where Rev. Eijo is these days or what he is up to? I miss that guy!
In order to ensure my mind never comes under the power of the self-cherishing attitude,
I must obtain control over my own mind.
Therefore, amongst all empowerments, the empowerment that gives me control over my mind is the best,
and I have received the most profound empowerment with this teaching.
-Atisha Dipamkara
brtsal ba'i bkhra drin
JKhedrup

Postby Seishin » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:29 am

Thank you for the replies everyone and thanks for the book, I've added it to my wish list :tongue: . Good to see you again Jikai :twothumbsup:

Gassho,
Seishin.
Seishin
Former staff member

Postby rory » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:33 am

You can find him as Thomas Eijo Dreitlein, he's on the faculty of Mt. Koya University.
rory

Return to Tendai