City of Ten Thousand Buddhas

A place for videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.

City of Ten Thousand Buddhas

Postby Will » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:57 pm

Here a video introduction to CTTB; runs about 82 minutes:

http://www.cttbusa.org/cttb.html
One should refrain from biased judgments and doubting in fathoming the Buddha and the Dharma of the Buddhas. Even though a dharma may be extremely difficult to believe, one should nonetheless maintain faith in it. Nagarjuna
Will

Re: City of Ten Thousand Buddhas

Postby Will » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:36 pm

Some more information about this Dharma center near Ukiah, California:

http://www.advite.com/sf/cttb/cttbindex.html
One should refrain from biased judgments and doubting in fathoming the Buddha and the Dharma of the Buddhas. Even though a dharma may be extremely difficult to believe, one should nonetheless maintain faith in it. Nagarjuna
Will

Postby Yudron » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:18 pm

I dropped in, one rainy day. They really took on a big project when they bought a huge campus with many old buildings on it. Delightfully, they have renamed the many streets with Buddhist names, I don't remember exactly, but like "compassion way" or similar. They occupy some of the buildings, and others are waiting for attention.

I attended one of their ceremonies in the main hall, run mostly by nuns, then went on down the road.
Attachments
City of 10,000 Buddhas.jpg
The day I dropped in to the City of 10,000 Buddhas in 2008.
City of 10,000 Buddhas.jpg (10.21 KiB) Viewed 781 times
Yudron

Postby JKhedrup » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:50 am

me at a CTTB repentance ceremony, they were kind enough to let me wear their robes for the services. Bowing in their style would have been quite difficult otherwise!
The ritual involves bowing to the names of 10,000 different Buddhas in an ancient sutra. There are lovely tunes sung by the resident bhikshunis. It is a very demanding ritual both physically and mentally, but I really felt as if I moved some karma after completing it.
If anyone ever has the chance to participate in the 10,000 Buddhas repentance (usually takes place in the summer) I highly recommend it. For Westerners there is Pinyin to chant along with as well as a partial translation available of the the names of the 10,000 deities. Usually a fair number of people participate and there is a lovely group energy.
Attachments
rorycttb1.jpg
me at CTTB repentance ceremony, their were kind enough to let me wear their robes for the services. Bowing in their style would have been quite difficult otherwise!
rorycttb1.jpg (161.14 KiB) Viewed 728 times
In order to ensure my mind never comes under the power of the self-cherishing attitude,
I must obtain control over my own mind.
Therefore, amongst all empowerments, the empowerment that gives me control over my mind is the best,
and I have received the most profound empowerment with this teaching.
-Atisha Dipamkara
brtsal ba'i bkhra drin
JKhedrup

Postby Will » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:01 am

JK: So you had no robes or your Tibetan style robes were not acceptable?

Also, they are now giving and archiving videos of events: http://www.drba.org/live
Will

Postby JKhedrup » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:33 am

the robes i had made the bowing very difficult in the chinese style, they started to gradually slide down and maybe would have made for an embarrassing incident, so I asked to please wear theirs during ceremonies and they were kind enough to allow it.
In order to ensure my mind never comes under the power of the self-cherishing attitude,
I must obtain control over my own mind.
Therefore, amongst all empowerments, the empowerment that gives me control over my mind is the best,
and I have received the most profound empowerment with this teaching.
-Atisha Dipamkara
brtsal ba'i bkhra drin
JKhedrup

Postby Will » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:37 pm

Will

Postby Yudron » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:40 pm

Will wrote:Spring at CTTB

http://www.cttbusa.org/blossoms/cttb.asp" target="_blank

Beautiful!
Yudron

Postby Silent Bob » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:00 am

The City Of Ten Thousand Buddhas in Ukiah, CA was the hospital for the criminally insane until then-governor Ronald Reagan de-funded all the state's mental health facilities.
"All the sublime teachings, so profound--to throw away one and then grab yet another will not bear even a single fruit. Persevere, therefore, in simply one."
--Dudjom Rinpoche, "Nectar for the Hearts of Fortunate Disciples. Song No. 8"
Silent Bob

Postby Will » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:56 pm

Master Hua into the stillness event:

http://www.cttbusa.org/parinirvana/parinirvana.htm
Will

Return to Media