YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Do you believe in rebirth? - Dhamma Wheel

Do you believe in rebirth?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Sunrise

Postby Sunrise » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:42 pm

Reductor

Re: Do you believe in rebirth?

Postby Reductor » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:59 pm

Yes.

Anicca

Postby Anicca » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:50 pm

Howdy Sunrise!

Yes. Some say belief in it is not required. I think the Buddha would want you to be comfortable with your belief and not 'swallow more than you can chew' - when the time is right for you to know - you will know. All views are only worth letting go of in the end.

Metta

Sunrise

Postby Sunrise » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:06 pm

Anicca

Postby Anicca » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:07 pm

Maybe ...time is change!

Metta

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:46 pm

I don't "believe", it makes sense.
http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:53 pm

yes
He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'
(Jhana Sutta - Thanissaro Bhikkhu translation)

Kenshou

Postby Kenshou » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:10 pm

Agnostic. I have no idea what will happen in the future. So better make use of the present, I say.

Jason

Postby Jason » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:11 pm

I'm agnostic when it comes to the postmortem rebirth, assuming that's what you're referring to. I am, however, a firm believer in moment to moment rebirth, which is readily observable in the here and now. If you're interested, you can find more of my thoughts on the subject .
"Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya" ().

(Buddhist-related blog)
(non-Buddhist related blog)

theravada_guy

Postby theravada_guy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:37 pm

Yes, I believe in rebirth. Coupled with kamma, to me, it's a fact. I've held similar beliefs when I was a Hindu, and that was for around six years. So, I would definitely say "yes".
With metta,

Justin

Aloka

Postby Aloka » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:58 pm

I take a neutral stance and neither believe nor disbelieve in rebirth.

I believe in moment to moment rebirth and consider speculation about any existence before and after this lifetime to be pointless. This is the lifetime that counts in the present !

Shonin

Postby Shonin » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:58 pm

If I have lived before, then being reborn on that occasion (my life now) was/is indistinguishable from not being reborn. Why would it be different next time? Also, not believing in continuous and unique personal identity over and above a constructed sense of self it's a rather meaningless issue for me.

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:36 pm

I do believe in rebirth and kamma

check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OarxB-ds ... re=related
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:34 pm

Greetings,

If I was a betting man, I'd be more likely to bet in favour of it than against it... and there's a variety of reasons why that's the case, but none of them constitute me in any way "knowing" rebirth is true, or even having grounds to fervently believe it to be so.

All in all, I don't think it's altogether relevant to one's Dhamma practice, unless your aim is something lower than stream-entry (or some non-Theravada bodhisattva thingamabob)

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Rui Sousa

Postby Rui Sousa » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:42 pm

I believe there is a succession of rebirths in one mind continuum, and that each mind moment is bonded to the next by kamma.
With Metta

octathlon

Postby octathlon » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:27 am

Funny, I was going to report in as agnostic, but in the course of writing this post realized that I really do believe there is rebirth. So I had to come back up to the top and fix the intro. :tongue: It's just that I also still believe that I will die and that'll be the end of me.

On the one hand, years ago I had the experience in (non-Buddhist) meditation of seeing thousands of mental images of :quote: "what could be interpreted as past lives" sequentially flash before my eyes at blinding speed (actually it started slowly with time to observe each one, and got faster and faster and faster until it was so fast that it was too overwhelming to follow, yet each one appeared very distinctly for a nanosecond). No thoughts were occurring while this was happening.

But on the other hand what do I have? Not direct knowledge of rebirth, just a memory of an experience, an experience that doesn't "fit" into the normal state of mind, so it can only be interpreted through the filter of my personal views. I worry that these kinds of experiences can lead to wrong view that can get strongly embedded because of their intensity. :soap: So I never want to draw conclusions from them, and I didn't even realize I had done that in this case until typing this post and realizing 1) that I actually do believe in rebirth after all, and 2) that experience is probably why I do. :? Ugh, rambling now... it's been a long week. :zzz:

lojong1

Postby lojong1 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:36 am

Goedert

Postby Goedert » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:43 am

Neither believe or no believe.

I just try to study, do the paramis, and meditate. Maybe one day I will be able to see it if rebirth existes or not existes.

adeh

Postby adeh » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:06 am

Yes, I do. I think it would be pretty pointless being a follower of the Buddha's Teaching if you thought there was no rebirth.

Kenshou

Postby Kenshou » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:12 am

How about for the end of suffering within this one life?

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”