Wonderful Mysterious Yakkhas

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
maybay

Re: Wonderful Mysterious Yakkhas

Post by maybay »

Samyutta Nikaya has the best stories. Check out 'Haunting the Buddha'.

There was a Yakkha called Suciloma who wanted to eat the Buddha. He declared his intentions to another yakkha and then approached the Buddha, who stepped back. "You are afraid of me ascetic?" "I am not afraid of you, but your touch is evil"
"I shall ask you a question, ascetic. If you do not answer me, I shall either strike down your mind, or split your heart or seize you by the feet and throw you over the Ganges."
"I do not see anyone, sir, in the world, including the devas, Mara and Brahma, among beings including ascetics and brahmans, devas and men, who could strike down my mind, or split my heart or seize me by the feet and throw me over the Ganges. Nevertheless, ask what you wish."

When I read the earlier writings I can't tell if I'm hearing about aggressive monsters or the metaphorical descriptions of concupiscent females.
Last edited by maybay on Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
People will know nothing and everything
Remember nothing and everything
Think nothing and everything
Do nothing and everything
- Machig Labdron
maybay

Post by maybay »

Vipassualty wrote: There are several good sources of information submitted. Thank you all for these. I am particularly wondering if there are esoteric writings in the Tibetan tradition that basically divulge the secret business of the yakkas, their motivations, talk of their history, specific misadventures, or anything which gives an accurate description of their appearance, especially on the subject of the meaning behind these odd symbols in those thin little bones. Thank you.
Read this one
The story of Matam Rudra
- Machig Labdron
maybay

Post by maybay »

maybay wrote:When I read the earlier writings I can't tell if I'm hearing about aggressive monsters or the metaphorical descriptions of concupiscent females.
But maybe that's just me :D
- Machig Labdron
Vipassualty

Post by Vipassualty »

AlexanderS wrote:I must say, I find it difficult to believe this kind of stuff. I suppose it can be a matter of personal experience.
No one should be faulted for remaining incredulous about such things. Given my background and my education, if I had not had the strange experiences I have had, then no doubt I would agree with you. Given that this is the internet I can't expect much in the way of belief when it comes to my anecdotes about encountering a yakkha in my youth. Nevertheless, I assure you, these creatures do exist.

I see there has been more interesting material posted. Much appreciated, and thank you, as always.

Return to “Media”