Inspiring Women in Buddhism

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
Loren

Inspiring Women in Buddhism

Post by Loren »

Mahaprajapati stained glass at Sravasti Abbey
Thank You and Ok!

aka Lorem
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Inspiring Women in Buddhism

Post by Ayu »

Loren wrote: Mahaprajapati ...
Do you have some more informations about her? I'm curious.
:namaste:
Loren

Post by Loren »

Ayu wrote:
Loren wrote: Mahaprajapati ...
Do you have some more informations about her? I'm curious.
:namaste:
Just her story from here and The Golden Light Sutra. That she was the first ordained bhikshuni and in a past life she was the starving tigress that Bodhisattva Mahasattva (the Tathagata) fed with his own body so she would not devour her own cubs.

She was part of the Arya Sangha :bow:
Thank You and Ok!

aka Lorem
rory

Post by rory »

Lovely, thanks for posting. Oh my, that's sad that the Buddha's aunt & foster mother the first women with the Budddha's wife Yasodhara to become nuns and Buddhas isn't known....
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
Lindama

Post by Lindama »

is this a diversion to the question: how are women treated in Buddhism?

if so, sorry to see it... crumbs
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Lindama wrote:is this a diversion to the question: how are women treated in Buddhism?

if so, sorry to see it... crumbs
It seems to me, everything crumbs right now and everyone is busy.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Gelongma Palmo, 11th century:

http://www.drukpa-nuns.org/index.php/gelongma-palmo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Machig Labdron - inventor of chöd:

http://www.drukpa-nuns.org/index.php/machig-labdron" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lindama

Post by Lindama »

GET REAL... don't give me your fancy ideas of what you posted below ... let me know when you get there
Gelongma Palmo
Great Yoginis of Tantric Buddhism

Gelongma Palmo (Skt. Bhishuni Lakshmi or Bhikshuni Shrimati), introduced the Nyungnay practice, which is a special fasting practice of purification and merit accumulation based on Avalokiteshvara, the Buddha of Great Compassion. She was a princess of an ancient Indian kingdom. Through devoted and extensive practice of One-Thousand-Armed Avalokiteshvara for twelve years, Gelongma Palmo overcame severe illness of leprocy and attained enlightenment. Thereafter, she passed the methods and blessings of this practice known as Nyungnay down through a lineage of great practitioners that continues to this day.

This intensive practice involves maintaining the eight Mahayana precepts (not to kill, not to steal, not to commit sexual misconduct, not to lie, not to take intoxicants, not to take high or luxurious seats, not to sing, dance or wear ornaments and not to eat after midday) on the first day, and taking additional vows of not eating, drinking or talking for twenty-four hours on the second day. The meditation and practice sessions include praises, prostrations and mantra recitation.
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

And also in modern times now there are many considerable female lamas, for example Thubden Choedron, Pema Choedron, Gelongma Palmo from Austria - and many who are not that famous but an inspiration for the students around them...
This thread could be long and wide.
Lindama

Post by Lindama »

Ayu wrote:Machig Labdron - inventor of chöd:

http://www.drukpa-nuns.org/index.php/machig-labdron" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Machig Labdron is a lineage holder, quite forgotten... you might be interested to know about Lama Tsultrim who is recognized as the current lineage holder for Machig .... http://taramandala.org/
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Lindama wrote: ... let me know when you get there
Can you please translate, what you mean?

I don't think, there is a different "How to get there" for men or women. But of course there are cultural hindrances everywhere spread on this world. Or what are you talking about? :namaste:
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Lindama wrote:
Ayu wrote:Machig Labdron - inventor of chöd:

http://www.drukpa-nuns.org/index.php/machig-labdron" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Machig Labdron is a lineage holder, quite forgotten... you might be interested to know about Lama Tsultrim who is recognized as the current lineage holder for Machig .... http://taramandala.org/
Ah! Then there is another "crumb". :smile:

I don't perceive Machig Labron as "forgotten" but very famous indeed.
Loren

Post by Loren »

I was going to post Gelongma Palmo yesterday. Nyung Ne is important practice.

By Sergey Noskov
Thank You and Ok!

aka Lorem
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Niguma.

Sukhasiddhi.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Punya

Post by Punya »

Ven. Bikkkuni Zamba Chozom has numerous centers and groups around the world where she has been teaching for the past 37 years. She had the opportunity to study under some of the greatest meditation masters of the last century not only from the Tibetan but also Thai, Burmese, Korean and Chinese traditions of Buddhism. In this extended interview she talks about her life in the dharma http://theyoginiproject.org/features/ani-zamba
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

All the women at Kagyu Thubten Choling Monastery in New York. It's called a monastery but it's 80% nuns so it really should be called a nunnery. Most of them have done at least one 3 year retreat if not multiple retreats. Best place for Karma/Shangpa Kagyu Dharma in the U.S. that I know of. They put the guys to shame.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Indeed, Lama Norlha Rinpoche's students are strong and committed, and many are women. They are an inspiring bunch!
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

Return to “Media”