18 Rules For Living By Dalai Lama

A place for videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.

Postby meditationlife » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:44 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDoGOXEtey8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
meditationlife

Re: 18 Rules For Living By Dalai Lama

Postby ReasonAndRhyme » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:13 am

"The problem with quotations from the internet is that you never know if they are authentic."

Leonardo da Vinci

You probably have very positive intentions to share this with us, and I hope I don't sound harsh, but honestly I'm not a fan of such videos.

There are hundreds and thousands of quotations on the web which are purportedly by the Dalai Lama (or Sokrates, Aristotle, and the like) without ever referencing the exact source. Some people obviously wish to share their wisdom with others and try to make it sound more important, so they decorate it with the fancy name of a wisdom teacher.

Please don't take it personal, but I don't believe that these "18 rules for living" are authored by the Dalai Lama until somebody proves otherwise.

Best wishes,

R'n'R
"Forget about being clever, and simply remain." Guru Rinpoche, Treasures from Juniper Ridge
ReasonAndRhyme

Postby ReasonAndRhyme » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:33 am

P.S.:

I just saw that this video is uploaded by a user with a name very similar to yours and that a talk by the Dalai Lama in Inverness is given as a source in the video's description. If you are the author of that video, and if you extracted these quotations from the Inverness talk, would you mind to reference the timestamps of that Inverness video to the list of the 18 points to your video's description? So we can look up the quotations from their original source?
"Forget about being clever, and simply remain." Guru Rinpoche, Treasures from Juniper Ridge
ReasonAndRhyme

Postby sukhamanveti » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:36 pm

The 18 Rules were extracted from Life's Little Instruction Book by Jackson Brown and H. Jackson Brown, Jr. They were first misattributed to HHDL in an email chain letter. They are not the teaching of His Holiness the Dalai Lama, nor do they resemble his teaching. See http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/dalai.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
namo bhagavate śākyamunaye tathāgatāyārhate samyaksaṁbuddhāya | namaḥ sarvabuddhabodhisattvebhyaḥ ||

"Bodhisattva-mahāsattvas love all beings in the world equally, as if each were their only child..." Buddhāvataṃsakamahāvaipulya Sūtra
sukhamanveti

Return to Media