Alien & UFOs thread...

A place for videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.

Re: Alien & UFOs thread...

Postby Lindama » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:25 pm

Maybe the Tribbles will land first :smile:

There is a lot of info out there. I've heard ex-gov ppl speak of this. perhaps like the natives who couldn't see Columbus' ship or the one who is not busy.

don't know about Aliens for myself, yet. tho on a starry night...
Lindama

Postby Simon E. » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:49 pm

Simon E. wrote:
bob wrote:I am not talking about belief, but direct experience, as well as the direct experience of those whom I have found to be reliable. Now, I realize that many will not be comfortable with some of the issues I have discussed, and that I am in fact subjecting myself to possible ridicule for even broaching these subjects, but that is not really important to me at this stage of my life. This thread was started here, and I had information to contribute, and that is what I have done, so let the chips fall where they may. It doesn't really matter, since I know that even the most closed-minded skeptics will eventually have their eyes opened. I am just offering a little heads-up for those who are willing to drop their conditioning around this topic and think for themselves. Ultimately, as I have mentioned elsewhere on this board, our knowledge and beliefs are pretty insignificant compared to how we treat each other, and the love we are able to share (or

not) while incarnated here in this virtual reality scenario called human life.

Blessings!

So let's be clear. You are saying that you have direct experience of aliens ? And that this direct experience demonstrates that Buddhdharma is true only provisionally and locally ? That this was communicated to you by aliens ? By direct contact or by telepathy ?

You seem to have missed this Bob. Is this a fair summation :) ?
Simon E.

Postby Seishin » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:51 pm

bob wrote:Hi Seishin,

Based on what I have learned, earth and earth-like planets rank rather low on the scale of universal manifestation, but we as humans tend to take the prevailing circumstances here, such as suffering and impermanence, and project those conditions onto the rest of the cosmos, when in fact they may only pertain at this rather infantile level of awareness and experience in which we find ourselves. There is no question that Buddha discovered several key truths about human existence, which we ourselves can also discover, but his take on the greater universe is far from accurate, at least as reported in the texts.

Or so you've been told. To borrow your own view;
bob wrote:...you nevertheless keep a good closed mind and parrot the borrowed party line. That's ok, it's what humans typically do

You also said you've "experienced" this. How, exactly have you experienced this? And how does your experience and what you've been told make the beliefs and experiences Buddhists hold incorrect?

bob wrote:...but his take on the greater universe is far from accurate, at least as reported in the texts.
which part? Could you be specific? I only ask because it would appear you only have a rudimentary understanding of Buddhism.

Gassho,
Seishin
Last edited by Seishin on Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected type-o
Seishin
Former staff member

Postby Seishin » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:08 pm

bob wrote:A second, additional body of evidence can be gleaned from numerous nde reports, in which the subjects came back with the imparted knowledge that the universe is teeming with sentient beings, many of whom are evolved far beyond what the human mind can even begin to comprehend.

In Buddhism we call these devas, asuras, nagas, pretas... it is said these can be seen, even spoken to by experienced meditators.

Gassho,
Seishin
Seishin
Former staff member

Postby PadmaVonSamba » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:23 pm

Everybody has seen a painting or a sculpture of Jesus.
they can absolutely identify one when they see one.
Curiously, nobody actually knows what Jesus looked like.
How do you figure that one?
But he's had a lot of good P.R. over the past couple of thousand years.

I went back and looked again at the video clips.
When you take away the ambient new-age soundtracks, the fuzzy photos,
There isn't much there.
When you really analyze the statements, there are a lot of holes
filled in with what is known in advertizing as "phrases that sell".

Ben Rich "Admitted in his Deathbed Confession
that Extraterrestrial UFO visitors are real and U.S Military travel to stars"

It means that this is what he believes strongly.
there is no doubt that this is what he believes.
What he admitted was his beliefs, based on his interpretation of events.
its doesn't reveal any facts
Any more than a person says on their deathbed that they are going to Amitabha's Pure Land
offers any proof to someone who does not follow Pureland Buddhism.

People should believe whatever they want,
and respect each others opinions.
But it is a mistake to confuse beliefs with facts.
Profile Picture: "The Foaming Monk"
The Chinese characters are Fo (buddha) and Ming (bright). The image is of a student of Buddhism, who, imagining himself to be a monk, and not understanding the true meaning of the words takes the sound of the words literally. Likewise, People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.
Original painting by P.Volker /used by permission.
PadmaVonSamba

Postby dharmagoat » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:26 pm

Most will not believe-- look how long it took to figure out that the Earth moves around the Sun and this planet is not flat-- even though simple instruments and common sense could have disclosed those facts.

The theory of an earth-centered universe was abandoned because it was unwieldy and improbable, requiring an unexplained phenomenon to explain the apparently erratic paths of the planets. The theory of a sun-centered solar system was much simpler, and everything could be explained by the known laws of gravity.

Similarly, virtually all reported sightings of UFOs can be explained more simply in terms of the (comparatively recent) science of psychology and perception.
May all beings be happy
dharmagoat

Postby Adamantine » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:30 pm

intermission
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby Adamantine » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:37 am

Ok, this thread will be tentatively reopened, but keep these site rules in mind, and heed them:

Be polite. Rudeness in any form will not be tolerated. Any member who is intentionally unpleasant will initially be suspended to give the moderating team time to discuss if there is to be further action.

Do not be disruptive. Dharma Wheel is an environment for the discussion of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. All are welcome but are required to abide by the Terms of Service (ToS). The staff team reserve the right to edit/remove inappropriate content, and to remove or transfer any posts or threads that are not relevant to the sub-forum in which they are posted. Any subject matter that may be off-topic or is intended only to cause disruption or harm to others may be removed without notice.

This is not a "comparative religion site", it is a site to learn and discuss the Buddha's teachings without animosity. In support of this:

~ Badmouthing of other spiritual paths is not allowed.
~ Proselyting/evangelizing other paths which includes for example arguing some other path is superior to the Buddhist path is not allowed.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby plwk » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:48 am

Various Buddhist texts mention aliens and other dimensional beings co-habitating with us here on earth...
Okies, and they are...
plwk

Postby han » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:37 pm

bob wrote:
Simon E. wrote:What Bob is saying inasmuch as it has any coherence, is that the three marks only apply to local conditions due to the relative immaturity of humanity. And that in other parts of the universe Dukkha may not apply...

Not only in the greater cosmos, but even here, suffering has never happened. In fact, nothing has happened. It would help if you could truly experience what Nagarjuna was pointing to when he said "like a dream.." You are not going to be able to verify this by resort to your texts, however.

Cheers, Simon!

Hi bob

Thanks for your input here

Say BA has had insight into this (but unsustained) does this affect BA's life? The dream is still lived no?

Or are momentary insights insufficient to the dream thing, I guess there is something ..,even more different to come

The past insights are not enough, only enough to relate/be open to the reality or hint of flavor of such 'things'
The highest teaching is selfless love . Who can meet this standard?
han

Postby bob » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:59 pm

han wrote:
bob wrote:
Simon E. wrote:What Bob is saying inasmuch as it has any coherence, is that the three marks only apply to local conditions due to the relative immaturity of humanity. And that in other parts of the universe Dukkha may not apply...

Not only in the greater cosmos, but even here, suffering has never happened. In fact, nothing has happened. It would help if you could truly experience what Nagarjuna was pointing to when he said "like a dream.." You are not going to be able to verify this by resort to your texts, however.

Cheers, Simon!

Hi bob

Say BA has had insight into this (but unsustained) does this affect BA's life? The dream is still lived no?

All that can be seen is nothing but a dream;
And even when we think ourselves awake,
We have only wakened in a dream.

~Ghalib

"Although there is a truth
that Buddha's liberating efforts
continue unceasingly in the waking life,
the truth of the Buddha’s and ancestors’ realization
consists invariably of what a dream makes within a dream."

~ Eihei Dogen
bob

Postby han » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:24 pm

bob wrote:Hi bob

All that can be seen is nothing but a dream;
And even when we think ourselves awake,
We have only wakened in a dream.

~Ghalib

"Although there is a truth
that Buddha's liberating efforts
continue unceasingly in the waking life,
the truth of the Buddha’s and ancestors’ realization
consists invariably of what a dream makes within a dream."

~ Eihei Dogen[/quote]

Hi bob

Thanks again for your response.

My last response must have gotten lost - I was tying a bit incoherently on one of these modern technical devices which make the eyes go a bit blind :smile:

A dream within a dream -- I have heard of this a lot, have my own theories (consciousness is thought), and have seen enough to make me believe. But yes, not yet penetrated. What an interesting world, but for now I just want safety and peace for my family and I. :namaste:

Thanks for the convo!

han
The highest teaching is selfless love . Who can meet this standard?
han

Postby Aemilius » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:35 pm

PadmaVonSamba wrote:Everybody has seen a painting or a sculpture of Jesus.
they can absolutely identify one when they see one.
Curiously, nobody actually knows what Jesus looked like.
How do you figure that one?
But he's had a lot of good P.R. over the past couple of thousand years.

I went back and looked again at the video clips.
When you take away the ambient new-age soundtracks, the fuzzy photos,
There isn't much there.
When you really analyze the statements, there are a lot of holes
filled in with what is known in advertizing as "phrases that sell".

Ben Rich "Admitted in his Deathbed Confession
that Extraterrestrial UFO visitors are real and U.S Military travel to stars"

It means that this is what he believes strongly.
there is no doubt that this is what he believes.
What he admitted was his beliefs, based on his interpretation of events.
its doesn't reveal any facts
Any more than a person says on their deathbed that they are going to Amitabha's Pure Land
offers any proof to someone who does not follow Pureland Buddhism.

People should believe whatever they want,
and respect each others opinions.
But it is a mistake to confuse beliefs with facts.

Hello!
Have You heard of William Bill Cooper? He is a legendary figure in this field. What he says is not "mere beliefs", if You are any kind of normal person. But You seem to stretch that word "belief" to cover everything that You do not personally regard a "fact". A word that hasn't got much meaning here anymore. Other than as a word in an orwellian/padmavonsambian newspeak vocabulary.

Here You can see something of what William Bill Cooper has to say, or what he said when he was still alive:

This is part 2 of the lecture, that is has 10 parts.
You really must see atleast 5 of them.
svaha
Aemilius

Postby PadmaVonSamba » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:08 pm

"Ebe had a tendency to lie and for over a year would give only the desired answers to questions asked"

OR.....Maybe the English Language tutor he had on his home planet wasn't very good,
and he just didn't understand the questions.
:rolling:

Didn't William Bill also think the "UFO coverup" was part of an international Jewish conspiracy?"
The Chinese characters are Fo (buddha) and Ming (bright). The image is of a student of Buddhism, who, imagining himself to be a monk, and not understanding the true meaning of the words takes the sound of the words literally. Likewise, People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.
PadmaVonSamba

Postby reddust » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:40 pm

PadmaVonSamba wrote:
Didn't William Bill also think the "UFO coverup" was part of an international Jewish conspiracy?"

I didn't know about this conspiracy! I can't keep up :lol: I think all the ufo's we see are drones and the aliens are GMO'd people who can fly in space without radiation frying their DNA....I made this up but there are people who actually believe this.
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living
reddust

Postby Aemilius » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:54 am

PadmaVonSamba wrote:"Ebe had a tendency to lie and for over a year would give only the desired answers to questions asked"

OR.....Maybe the English Language tutor he had on his home planet wasn't very good,
and he just didn't understand the questions.
:rolling:

I don't know everything he has said. In fact I hardly know anything more than is in that particular lecture. And I don't feel obliged to defend William Cooper, or Ebe, for that matter. I am neither an expert in this field.

Here an eyewitness tells us how William Cooper was killed
svaha
Aemilius

Postby PadmaVonSamba » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:40 pm

Cooper was a conspiracy-obsessed individual.
Conspiracy theories, lacking verifiable evidence, draw more and more external 'causes' into an ever-growing web of paranoia.
When skeptics demand hard evidence for extraordinary claims,
conspiracy-obsessed people often see those skeptics as part of the conspiracy.
it's a never-ending loop.

There is much more credible evidence, photos, videos, and so forth, of crack-pots than there are of visitors from space.

But even if there are visitors from space,
okay, so what does that have to do with Buddhism?
PadmaVonSamba

Postby Kunga Lhadzom » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:07 pm

PadmaVonSamba wrote:But even if there are visitors from space,okay, so what does that have to do with Buddhism?

Where did Buddha come from ?
It wasn't Earth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tushita
Kunga Lhadzom

Postby Simon E. » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:33 pm

:rolleye:
Simon E.

Postby dharmagoat » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:11 am

Should we be building spacecraft instead of meditating?
May all beings be happy
dharmagoat

PreviousNext

Return to Media