Iranian Ayatollah Claims Jews Invented Buddhism

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
Snovid

Iranian Ayatollah Claims Jews Invented Buddhism

Post by Snovid »

ImageImage

http://www.frontpagemag.com/2013/dgreen ... -buddhism/

phpBB [video]

chayesproductions.com/buddhism.html
I am from Poland I use google translator I do not know English
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Iranian Ayatollah Claims Jews Invented Buddhism

Post by Grigoris »

So what? I am sure any number of fools claim any number of issues, so why should I care about the claims of a fool?

As for the similarities between Jewish mysticism and Buddhism, well... one could probably find just as many similiarities between Jewish and Muslim mysticism so...
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Jews invented Buddhism? Ridiculous; just ask some Buddhist leaders if this is true or not, you know people like:

Bhikkhu Bodhi, Ph.D.
Sylvia Boorstein
Mark Epstein, M.D.
Matthew Flickstein, Ph.D.
Joseph Goldstein
Jon Kabat-Zinn, Ph.D.
Ayya Khema
Mirka Knaster, Ph.D.
Jack Kornfield, Ph.D.
Noah Levine, M.A.
Wes Nisker
Nyanaponika, Maha Thera, D.Litt.
Larry Rosenberg, Ph.D.
Donald Rothberg, Ph.D.
Sharon Salzberg
Diana Winston
Lama Surya Das
Rodger Kamenetz
Tetsugen Bernard Glassman
Zoketsu Norman Fischer
Hue Chuyen

:tongue:
greentara

Post by greentara »

David, Are you saying all on the list are Jews? Ok then... Ayatollah claims Jews invented Buddhism! As I see it these people on the list have not invented but rather embraced Buddhism.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Hickersonia

Post by Hickersonia »

Whoa... such absurdities...
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."

Nam mô A di đà Phật!
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

greentara wrote:David, Are you saying all on the list are Jews? Ok then... Ayatollah claims Jews invented Buddhism! As I see it these people on the list have not invented but rather embraced Buddhism.
Yes, all those on the list were born Jewish but embraced Buddhism.

Yes, of course embraced not invented. My post was just a silly joke; sort of a play on the John Stewart joke a year or two ago when Rick Sanchez of CNN got fired for saying in an interview that the media was full of Jews and that the Jews control the media. John Stewart (a Jewish-American) said on the Today Show (comedy show) that Rick Sanchez should go back to his Jewish bosses and apologize.
reddust

Post by reddust »

I worked with a lot of Jewish people who practiced at Goenka's Vipassana retreats. Many from Israel and working on letting go of trauma from war and fighting. Amazing woman, there was a whole group of amazon looking ladies who had shaved all their hair off at a Cali retreat I went too…seriously focused group of Jewish woman. I don't think they were Buddhist, I didn't ask.
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

I don't think Goenka was Jewish, was he?
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
reddust

Post by reddust »

dzogchungpa wrote:I don't think Goenka was Jewish, was he?
:jawdrop: I hadn't thought about that :spy:
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

reddust wrote:
Probably not, with a name like Goynka.
reddust

Post by reddust »

dzogchungpa wrote:
reddust wrote:
Probably not, with a name like Goynka.
That's almost as funny as the book….Edit…. I was told the Persians have a deity in their culture very similar to Simhamuka too. My friend saw a painting of her in my living room.

I have some very good Persian friends who are Vajrayana :spy:
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

reddust wrote:I was told the Persians have a deity in their culture very similar to Simhamuka too. My friend saw a painting of her in my living room.
The Egyptians have Sekhmet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sekhmet
reddust

Post by reddust »

dzogchungpa wrote:
reddust wrote:I was told the Persians have a deity in their culture very similar to Simhamuka too. My friend saw a painting of her in my living room.
The Egyptians have Sekhmet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sekhmet
I'm doing a dream series of paintings this winter. One of the paintings is of a lioness I dreamt of chained to a wall. I walked into this courtyard made of beautiful white rock, though a beautiful white brick archway. She ran at me with a ground shaking roar, golden and as huge as a horse, the chain broke and she tackled me, knocking me to the ground. I thought I was dead, instead she hugged me and rolled me over onto her belly. I just lay there on her soft warm furry belly and felt so loved. I can remember her purring like summer thunder. I am glad you mentioned Sekhmet, brings the dream back perfectly! I may even use some of the Sekhmet's symbols too, thank you :twothumbsup:
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

I endeavour to give satisfaction, madam.
reddust

Post by reddust »

dzogchungpa wrote:I endeavour to give satisfaction, madam.
I know this is totally off topic, but it is still about the Persian people so I am kind of on topic. I did some research about lions and women regarding Iran and found all sorts of data throughout the region and beyond. Here is a sample and so many images for paintings! These are very ancient myths, archetypes I dreamt of, it's sort of a "Wow" moment for me….

"Hither flowed Aredvi Sura Anahita . . .
She causes some waters to stand still,
She lets others flow, suitably,
She makes free a dry passage
Through the Vanghui
And the Vitanghvaiti rivers.

Mighty Anahita with splendor will shine,Incarnated as a youthful divine. Full of charm her beauty she will display, Her hip with charming belt she will array. Straight-figured, she is as noble bride,Freeborn, herself in puckered dress will hide.Her cloak is all decorated with gold,With precious dress Anahita we shall behold.-Original poem based on Kashani’s Persian folk songs, from an Avestan invocation to Anahita.

There was the belief that getting wet under the drain would assure a safe delivery of the baby. The building was devoted to Khezer (the green one).* Yet, the cult is very old and clearly one of Anahita’s. The role of water and safe child delivery are both parts of the Anahita cult.

Green Man: (*There is a folk tradition about Saint Khezer or Khidar (the green one): if one washes (pours water) on one’s front door at dawn for forty days, he will appear. Khider is described as being a friend of the Sufis, and is said to stand at the boundary of sea and land. He is also said to have drunk from the fountain of immortality.)

Mehr, coming together with Aban, gives rise to a third word: mehraban, which translates as “kindness,” or “one who is kind.” Thus, this metaphorical child of light that comes out of the marriage between Sun and Sea is kindness. The child of light is the Inner Light, which is in everyone. The Sun (light of God) and the Sea (divine ocean), united within each person, creates perhaps the most important spiritual quality—that of human kindness.

This list goes on and on, I'm going to do some more reading on this subject, it's fascinating, especially regarding healing, water, birth, animals. and nature.

Return to “Media”