Darren Littlejohn free Kindle book Sept 20-21 on Amazon

A place for videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.

Darren Littlejohn free Kindle book Sept 20-21 on Amazon

Postby padma norbu » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:18 pm

Thought I'd mention it here. It's called "The Power of Vow". No idea what it's really about. I've never read anything of his except maybe a blogpost and a half and some Facebook posts a few years back. Some people seem to like him, though. All I know about him is that he is a guitarist, an alcoholic, a Huffington Post blogger and he was a "full-time dharma practitioner" before he became an author and yoga instructor. I searched the forums for any mention of him and to my surprise he has never self-promoted here.

As long as it's free, might as well download it, though. I'll be checking it out for curiosity's sake.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
padma norbu

Re: Darren Littlejohn free Kindle book Sept 20-21 on Amazon

Postby Pero » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:48 pm

padma norbu wrote:Thought I'd mention it here. It's called "The Power of Vow". No idea what it's really about. I've never read anything of his except maybe a blogpost and a half and some Facebook posts a few years back. Some people seem to like him, though. All I know about him is that he is a guitarist, an alcoholic, a Huffington Post blogger and he was a "full-time dharma practitioner" before he became an author and yoga instructor. I searched the forums for any mention of him and to my surprise he has never self-promoted here.

As long as it's free, might as well download it, though. I'll be checking it out for curiosity's sake.

LMAO no he isn't. He's a recovering one or how do you say hehe.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Pero

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:28 pm

Pero wrote:
padma norbu wrote:Thought I'd mention it here. It's called "The Power of Vow". No idea what it's really about. I've never read anything of his except maybe a blogpost and a half and some Facebook posts a few years back. Some people seem to like him, though. All I know about him is that he is a guitarist, an alcoholic, a Huffington Post blogger and he was a "full-time dharma practitioner" before he became an author and yoga instructor. I searched the forums for any mention of him and to my surprise he has never self-promoted here.

Recovering yoga instructor, man, that's a tough row to hoe.
"Just as a lotus does not grow out of a well-levelled soil but from the mire, in the same way the awakening mind
is not born in the hearts of disciples in whom the moisture of attachment has dried up. It grows instead in the hearts of ordinary sentient beings who possess in full the fetters of bondage." -Se Chilbu Choki Gyaltsen
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Postby padma norbu » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:39 pm

Pero wrote:

I think he subscribes to the general 12-step beliefs that you're either an alcoholic or not, in which case if you're an alcoholic that means you are an alcoholic for life, which is why he's been sober for years but still considers himself in "recovery" or "recovering" or whatever. I find this idea very strange, personally, for someone to hold these beliefs and also hold a Buddhist orientation but I won't argue about it.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
padma norbu

Postby Pero » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:47 pm

padma norbu wrote:
Pero wrote:

I think he subscribes to the general 12-step beliefs that you're either an alcoholic or not, in which case if you're an alcoholic that means you are an alcoholic for life, which is why he's been sober for years but still considers himself in "recovery" or "recovering" or whatever. I find this idea very strange, personally, for someone to hold these beliefs and also hold a Buddhist orientation but I won't argue about it.

Oh wow I see.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Pero

Postby padma norbu » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:38 pm

I got that wrong.

The Power of Vow for Kindle will be FREE for the Equinox on Amazon for 2 days, September 21-22. So, starting tomorrow, not today.
padma norbu

Postby padma norbu » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:52 pm

Woot. I downloaded it for $0. I saved a whopping $3.99... not much, but I really would have never bought it. If it is good or useful, maybe I will buy it or at least give a good review. So far, it appears to be a continuation of his addiction/recovery subject from his last book, which isn't exactly that interesting to me, but I'm interested to see what a guy whose been struggling with addiction about as long as I've been an adult has to say about the subject, I suppose.
padma norbu

Return to Media